AfterDawn: Tech news

Xbox One barely beats Nintendo Wii U in sales?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 06 Mar 2014 6:50 User comments (78)

Xbox One barely beats Nintendo Wii U in sales?

Although it is the general consensus that Nintendo has played itself out of the home console market with the Wii U being a failure, according to VGChartz, Microsoft's new Xbox One only barely beat out the Wii U in sales for the week ended February 22nd.
For the period, the Xbox One saw global sales of 56,769 units, while the older Wii U had global sales of 44,503 units. Sony demolished its rivals for the week, thanks to the PS4's launch in Japan. The console saw 449,705 units sold, with 319,000 coming from Japan, alone.

Of course, the aging Xbox 360 and PS3 still saw sales, but Microsoft once again was the laggard, at 28,782 units sold.

The Xbox One is not available in Japan but Microsoft struggles heavily in the nation, and will likely continue to do so even with the Xbox One.

With the Xbox One barely beating out the Wii U and not even beating the PS3, Microsoft may have an uphill battle in this generation's console war.

Previous Next  

78 user comments

16.3.2014 21:57

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

Totals since vgchartz last update.

Xbox-One still has a ways to go; showing perhaps Nintendo's Wii-U isn't out yet. Clearly PS4 is proving victor for the time being and when Infamous Second Son releases, more sales will push.

27.3.2014 01:09

I, for one, am happy about those numbers. Microsoft arrogantly wanted to impose so many restrictions as we saw when they unveiled the console....and it backfired... so hard.

Its a great lesson all companies should learn,

specially EA

37.3.2014 07:39

Now..... Nintendo this is your chance to get your butt in gear and churn out some titles.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Mar 2014 @ 7:39

47.3.2014 10:06

Most of the World (and definitely the USA) is completely unaware of the peril that Nintendo is in with the console arena. Nintendo's making a huge mistake by not making this more public. I think sales would rally if more people knew that Mario, Donkey Kong, and Animal Crossing were on the verge of going away forever. They're being too proud, and were definitely too arrogant in their thinking that the Wii U could ever go up against the PS3 or XBox 360 and definitely not against the PS4. The Wii U platform has its place but that's no where near the levels of the original Wii.

57.3.2014 11:20

Originally posted by GernBlan:
Most of the World (and definitely the USA) is completely unaware of the peril that Nintendo is in with the console arena. Nintendo's making a huge mistake by not making this more public. I think sales would rally if more people knew that Mario, Donkey Kong, and Animal Crossing were on the verge of going away forever. They're being too proud, and were definitely too arrogant in their thinking that the Wii U could ever go up against the PS3 or XBox 360 and definitely not against the PS4. The Wii U platform has its place but that's no where near the levels of the original Wii.
The characters are not on the verge of going away forever. They could be licensed endlessly to whomever is willing to pay to use them. There may be initial reluctance on Nintendo's part, but companies eventually realize that making some money is better than making no money (Mattel was too proud to allow Barbie to be in Toy Story, but they sure changed their minds for Toy Story 2).
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Mar 2014 @ 11:22

67.3.2014 11:36

Hold your horses, Nostradamus.
Nintendo is still making big bucks in portables. This can turn bad because of the smartphones/tablets, but because of Nintendo's exclusives it won't be anytime soon.

77.3.2014 11:54

Originally posted by sleeepy2:
The characters are not on the verge of going away forever. They could be licensed endlessly to whomever is willing to pay to use them. There may be initial reluctance on Nintendo's part, but companies eventually realize that making some money is better than making no money (Mattel was too proud to allow Barbie to be in Toy Story, but they sure changed their minds for Toy Story 2).
They will if Nintendo continues on their current path of stubborn arrogance. Of the remaining two consoles, Microsoft is likely the only one with enough money to license Nintendo, and all that would do is put Nintendo characters on another ailing console that's lagging in sales even more than Nintendo's consoles.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Mar 2014 @ 12:14

87.3.2014 12:09

Originally posted by death-s:

Nintendo is still making big bucks in portables. This can turn bad because of the smartphones/tablets, but because of Nintendo's exclusives it won't be anytime soon.
Better emulators are quickly nullify Nintendo's exclusives. I can run any of the non-3DS games on my current tablet or phone right now.

I have purchased every portable Nintendo device that ever existed (including most of the original Japanese LCD "game watches"), but I did not and will not buy the 3DS (or even the 2DS), especially when the whole platform is on the verge of going belly-up. I do have 2 PS Vitas purely because even though they don't have anywhere near the titles of the Nintendo DS platform, they at least have a future.

Please don't just consider me to be a hater -- I never really cared for the 3DS, but I still think the Wii U is a really nice console, and considering the portable hardware I've bought from them over the years I'm a big fan of Nintendo.

97.3.2014 12:45

Better emulators are quickly nullify Nintendo's exclusives. I can run any of the non-3DS games on my current tablet or phone right now.

I have purchased every portable Nintendo device that ever existed (including most of the original Japanese LCD "game watches"), but I did not and will not buy the 3DS (or even the 2DS), especially when the whole platform is on the verge of going belly-up. I do have 2 PS Vitas purely because even though they don't have anywhere near the titles of the Nintendo DS platform, they at least have a future.

Please don't just consider me to be a hater -- I never really cared for the 3DS, but I still think the Wii U is a really nice console, and considering the portable hardware I've bought from them over the years I'm a big fan of Nintendo.

First of all, Nintendo will never license their IPs, Nintendo is not going anywhere and the 3DS will not belly up. Nintendo has been making changes, although slowly and given where financially Nintendo is compared to the others, there is no doom and gloom here.

The vita is a nice piece of tech, but not to be mean, I don't think you have been paying attention to the media/market. Vita 's future is looking nonexistent right now.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Mar 2014 @ 12:49

107.3.2014 12:49

For me it wasn't just about the stupid restrictions announced by Microsoft (that they back tracked on), or the price point of the XBox One, it was also the unreliability of the Xbox 360. How many other people out there like me ended up buying a 2nd 360 after only 12 mths due to the dreaded RROD. I know the PS3 had issues but not on the same scale.

Sorry MS, you stung me once with a poorly designed console, you won't sting me twice.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Mar 2014 @ 12:50

117.3.2014 17:13

Are you kidding me. If there's one platform that actually have a questionable future, it's the Vita. If it's still getting games in the West, you have to thank Japan for somewhat keeping it alive. Meanwhile, 3DS is selling a crapton. WTH you talking about it having no future? If it's about the Wii U's uncertain future, Nintendo isn't gonna belly up from that, they have pleeently of money left in the bank

127.3.2014 17:57

Let's see how the console sales for the bone are next week with them giving away titan fall. There are many great features the bone has that i do like --> Xbox record that and twitch in a few weeks however who are they kidding with a 500 gb HD. After like 10 games you'll have to be deleting to make room for future titles lmao

No bone fanboy here because I own all the systems

137.3.2014 20:27

LOL.. Another one that does not realize that while Nintendo is in a rut they have way more money than Microsoft and Sony do in their gaming divisions. I say gaming divisions because all Nintendo does is video games and MS and Sony have many departments. Both Sony and Microsoft have lost billions over the years and yet while Nintendo needs to step back up to the plate they still have nearly 9 billion in cash on hand.

147.3.2014 21:48

Quote:
First of all, Nintendo will never license their IPs, Nintendo is not going anywhere and the 3DS will not belly up. Nintendo has been making changes, although slowly and given where financially Nintendo is compared to the others, there is no doom and gloom here.
Actually Nintendo already licensed their IPs in the past like when Zelda joined up with Namco's Soul Calibre 2. Pokémon Conquest is a crossover between the pokémon series and Tecmo's Nobunaga's Ambition series released on DS.

Going into the future Zelda universe is teaming up with Tecmo's Dynasty Warriors for Hyrule Warriors. Finally Nintendo teams up with Atlus to bring us a Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem crossover.

So to say they won't ever license IP's is false, they have and are: and evidently there is more to be announced in the future.

157.3.2014 22:06

Originally posted by Mysttic:
Quote:
Actually Nintendo already licensed their IPs in the past like when Zelda joined up with Namco's Soul Calibre 2. Pokémon Conquest is a crossover between the pokémon series and Tecmo's Nobunaga's Ambition series released on DS.

Going into the future Zelda universe is teaming up with Tecmo's Dynasty Warriors for Hyrule Warriors. Finally Nintendo teams up with Atlus to bring us a Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem crossover.

So to say they won't ever license IP's is false, they have and are: and evidently there is more to be announced in the future.

No, that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about being on another console.

168.3.2014 00:36

Originally posted by deucezulu22:
The doom and gloom is coming from Nintendo shutting down their WiFi Network for the original Wii and DSi. Stupid, stupid move, as that will not generate more Wii U and 3DS sales -- it's just going to piss off your existing customers.

The vita is a nice piece of tech, but not to be mean, I don't think you have been paying attention to the media/market. Vita 's future is looking nonexistent right now.
Originally posted by darkprogame:
Are you kidding me. If there's one platform that actually have a questionable future, it's the Vita. If it's still getting games in the West, you have to thank Japan for somewhat keeping it alive. Meanwhile, 3DS is selling a crapton. WTH you talking about it having no future? If it's about the Wii U's uncertain future, Nintendo isn't gonna belly up from that, they have pleeently of money left in the bank
Uh, no...I'm not kidding you. First of all, the Vita and the 3DS currently have about the same QUANTITY of games out, give or take a dozen or so games. However, when you start talking QUALITY of games, the Vita wins hands down. And don't even get me started on quality of game play, which is when the Vita shows that it's a true portable game console and not just a 4th generation GameBoy that gives kids headaches and nausea with a lame 3D gimmick that no one uses. And that's not an exaggeration -- just ask Nintendo why they came out with the 2DS.

As for how supported the Vita is within Sony -- well, they have almost 3x as many games for the Vita as they do for the PS4, and with every PS4 game released there's usually a Vita version to go with it. My kids are still enjoying a free Vita game each month right along with the free PS3 and PS4 game through PlayStation Plus membership. Seems like a platform that's just as supported as the PS4.

178.3.2014 00:51

Originally posted by bobiroc:
LOL.. Another one that does not realize that while Nintendo is in a rut they have way more money than Microsoft and Sony do in their gaming divisions. I say gaming divisions because all Nintendo does is video games and MS and Sony have many departments. Both Sony and Microsoft have lost billions over the years and yet while Nintendo needs to step back up to the plate they still have nearly 9 billion in cash on hand.
"LOL" back at you...another one who doesn't realize that both Sony and Microsoft can rob Peter to pay Paul (in other words, use revenue from their other divisions) to save a lagging console division. I think Sony has proven that it can carry a basically no-profit gaming console division for...oh...a decade and still be the distant #1 console in the world.

Where's Nintendo going to shuffle money from to save the dismally failing Wii U? The 3DS? The fact is with tablets and phones, no one wants to carry around a dedicated portable console anymore, so Nintendo's only success (the DS line) is about to be just as unsuccessful as the Wii line.

188.3.2014 01:34

The doom and gloom is coming from Nintendo shutting down their WiFi Network for the original Wii and DSi. Stupid, stupid move, as that will not generate more Wii U and 3DS sales -- it's just going to piss off your existing customers.

Uh, no...I'm not kidding you. First of all, the Vita and the 3DS currently have about the same QUANTITY of games out, give or take a dozen or so games. However, when you start talking QUALITY of games, the Vita wins hands down. And don't even get me started on quality of game play, which is when the Vita shows that it's a true portable game console and not just a 4th generation GameBoy that gives kids headaches and nausea with a lame 3D gimmick that no one uses. And that's not an exaggeration -- just ask Nintendo why they came out with the 2DS.

As for how supported the Vita is within Sony -- well, they have almost 3x as many games for the Vita as they do for the PS4, and with every PS4 game released there's usually a Vita version to go with it. My kids are still enjoying a free Vita game each month right along with the free PS3 and PS4 game through PlayStation Plus membership. Seems like a platform that's just as supported as the PS4.
No it's not, the wifi on Wii and DS was owned by a third party and was bought out by another company. It would be stupid not to focus on your primary console and handheld. What existing customers, hardly anyone use the Wii network anyway, it was just a waste of money, and a lot of gaming journalist and financial analyst agree with this.

And no, the Vita does not have the quality or quantity of what the 3DS has. Why in the world do you think the Vita is not selling, while the 3DS is flying off shelves? No one uses the 3D? Ya sure, I mean it's not like the 3DS XL was the top selling hardware hands down this past year, and set to surpass the landmark of the DS. And it's nothing like the GameBoy. Besides, buying a handheld should be bought for the games, not to be an expensive secondary controller to stream a PS4 game too. Again there is a reason why the Vita is in the dumps. Software sells hardware, in this case people want software specifically for the Vita.

Why ask Nintendo about the 2DS when Nintendo already answered the question before the handheld was released? The 2DS purpose is for younger children whose eyesight is still developing, and built to not break from the carelessness of a child. And yet the 2DS does not come near the 3DS in sales so don't even bother using that argument.

Anytime, your shareholders and the people of your board mention selling your gaming division off, that's not good (Microsoft). It's been stated that Microsoft only makes money on Live when it comes to their gaming division and they are not gaining any profits from it, that's a fact. Sony is in the dumps, it's the fact that their gaming division is barely keeping them aloft is a terrible scenario. You don't go selling your PC division where 5,000 people loss their jobs, sell off 20 retail stores where 1,000 loss their jobs, and scale back your smart phone division from the US market then say that they can continue on with consoles? I'm sure Sony would not approve your views.

Smart phones and Tablets is in a market of their own, besides if that was true the 3DS would of been dead two years ago. Saying that the 3DS will be unsuccessful when it's on a early path to surpass the DS is just plain ignorance. But yet you mention this claim against the 3DS, but say nothing about the Vita.

You really need to brush up on your info man, because you are way off.

198.3.2014 08:11

Originally posted by JOHNSTARR:
however who are they kidding with a 500 gb HD.
Nobody.... with an decent sized external drive or, in the case of the PS4, are prepared to fit their own larger one.

I don't understand why anyone would want to pay for a relatively small hard drive in any game system at all, they should - as they now are - just sell them with whatever is the cheapest practical size & allow owners to either fit their own bigger drives (as per the PS3/PS4) or connect any size external (as per the XB1).

The Xbox 360 was a little different but it got better over time with bigger drives (and allowing the use of a firmwared WD customer sourced drive) which along with the use of an external drive (even if it wasn't for loading game data) went a long way to maximising it's practicality).

So, what's the problem?

208.3.2014 08:53

Notice I didn't even bother to quote your whole post. Why? Because you're doing nothing except offering opinion. "Brush up on the info" yourself -- compare the specs and you'd see that it is a fact not opinion that the Vita is vastly superior hardware. And if software is what sells hardware then how do you explain the Vita and 3DS having about the same number of games available? Flawed. Your argument about the 2DS implies that you think that mostly adults or even older kids are the ones buying the 3DS. Check your info again -- everything Nintendo is vastly targeted at very young children, so are you admitting what I said that the 3DS's 3D is bad for the majority of their target audience? Flawed.

It doesn't matter how great you think the 3DS is when it's the only item selling with a Nintendo logo on it. It's not going to save that company. They can't survive on 3DS sales alone,especially not in a niche market that has already been virtually dominated with phones and tablets, which are not in a market of their own when their game software numbers already beats all consoles in history combined. Remember, you said it -- software sells hardware, right?

Again, I've owned every Nintendo portable, but like many I stopped at buying the 3DS because it's a relic that you don't get anything more than the DSi offers unless you're a fan of that bad 3D gimmick.

218.3.2014 09:33

I think the WiiU appeared like a good idea, "kids like touchscreens so why not have a touchscreen and make it a controller too... nifty!". But I think the real issue with it is that it's not a very powerful console. I know the Wii wasn't either but it had a novelty factor that overcame it, that and it's reputation for being "family friendly". I get the impression that while many many people thought the Wii was a good idea too they mostly ended up gathering dust on the shelf.

Pretty sure that when the N64 and the Cube were released they were the most powerful consoles at the time.

That said, I kind of like the similar idea of the Vita and it's connectivity to the PS3 and PS4. Sony has this way of copying what the other consoles are doing just making it optional. I might get around to a second hand one one day.

Originally posted by Interestx:
The Xbox 360 was a little different but it got better over time with bigger drives (and allowing the use of a firmwared WD customer sourced drive)...
I did that!... but I had no idea that it was "allowed". You sure?

228.3.2014 11:27

Notice I didn't even bother to quote your whole post. Why? Because you're doing nothing except offering opinion. "Brush up on the info" yourself -- compare the specs and you'd see that it is a fact not opinion that the Vita is vastly superior hardware. And if software is what sells hardware then how do you explain the Vita and 3DS having about the same number of games available? Flawed. Your argument about the 2DS implies that you think that mostly adults or even older kids are the ones buying the 3DS. Check your info again -- everything Nintendo is vastly targeted at very young children, so are you admitting what I said that the 3DS's 3D is bad for the majority of their target audience? Flawed.

It doesn't matter how great you think the 3DS is when it's the only item selling with a Nintendo logo on it. It's not going to save that company. They can't survive on 3DS sales alone,especially not in a niche market that has already been virtually dominated with phones and tablets, which are not in a market of their own when their game software numbers already beats all consoles in history combined. Remember, you said it -- software sells hardware, right?

Again, I've owned every Nintendo portable, but like many I stopped at buying the 3DS because it's a relic that you don't get anything more than the DSi offers unless you're a fan of that bad 3D gimmick.
Are you that dense? It doesn't matter if the Vita has superior tech, if it's not selling then the whole point is mute (same happened with the PSP). Same goes with software, so no the Vita's library of games does not compare to the 3DS let alone sales. There is a reason Nintendo was granted best Publisher of the Year of 2013, because they were far in the lead in terms of overall software sold.

Nintendo market their games for everyone, not just kids so no their target is not just for children. Besides, you need to read, the 2DS is designed for a proper age limit, it's the same reason movie theaters have warning signs that 3D is not good for kids at certain ages. Nice try though. Your opinion about how relevant you think the 3D is while the 3DS XL flies off of shelves is irrelevant. Sales is the indication of what the consumer wants, and that is the 3DS and a majority have deemed it a great system.

Everything I have stated is fact and can be easily Googled to clarify. Does Nintendo need to make changes? That is very much the case. Do they need to be saved? Hardly? Your awareness of what goes on in the gaming industry is severely limited. You are too invested in your ignorance.

238.3.2014 20:28

"No, that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about being on another console. "

Soul Calibre 2 was on all platforms when it released: so yes it's rare but not unthinkable. As Nintendo said, they would do it if they see profitability and recognizable potential sales towards their hardware.

Last so what if they never would again anyhow: it's not like you going to see Sony release God of War/Infamous/ anything Naughty Dog is going to land on Xbox or Wii.

248.3.2014 23:28

deucezulu22, play nice or you might hear the approaching thunder & pay for it.

258.3.2014 23:31

What do you mean? Nothing harsh was said? What is the problem?

Anyhow @mystic,
Though that is true, still you could only play as link on the GameCube version and not on the other consoles.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Mar 2014 @ 11:34

268.3.2014 23:40

"LOL" back at you...another one who doesn't realize that both Sony and Microsoft can rob Peter to pay Paul (in other words, use revenue from their other divisions) to save a lagging console division. I think Sony has proven that it can carry a basically no-profit gaming console division for...oh...a decade and still be the distant #1 console in the world.

Where's Nintendo going to shuffle money from to save the dismally failing Wii U? The 3DS? The fact is with tablets and phones, no one wants to carry around a dedicated portable console anymore, so Nintendo's only success (the DS line) is about to be just as unsuccessful as the Wii line.
Sony has no money in their peter division to pay paul. The whole company is in a financial shamble. Microsoft that may be true to an extent and has kept the XBOX division afloat for this long. Of course if the board of directors at Microsoft have their way they will see the XBOX division shut down or sold has they have been trying to axe it for a while. I am sorry as you seem to see sales quantity as the main term for success but while that may look good to the naive and on paper to some it is not a true measure of success.

All that being said if Nintendo does not adapt and change some things around (like they say they are doing already) then it could be harmful to Nintendo but ultimately they have a long way to go before that happens.

279.3.2014 00:22

Are you that dense?
Resorting to name-calling and base level insults is a clear tell of how incorrect you know you are.

It doesn't matter if the Vita has superior tech, if it's not selling then the whole point is mute (same happened with the PSP).

The PS Vita sold to me x2, and yet the inferior 3DS did not (even though I've bought every other Nintendo portable and never owned or had any interest in the PSP). Seems like a very relevant point to me.

Nintendo market their games for everyone, not just kids so no their target is not just for children. Besides, you need to read, the 2DS is designed for a proper age limit, it's the same reason movie theaters have warning signs that 3D is not good for kids at certain ages. Nice try though. Your opinion about how relevant you think the 3D is while the 3DS XL flies off of shelves is irrelevant. Sales is the indication of what the consumer wants, and that is the 3DS and a majority have deemed it a great system.
My decision to not purchase the 3DS was solely based on the horribly implemented 3D feature. Even the positive reviews of the 3DS and 3DS XL typically consider the 3D feature to be relatively worthless. So, I'd have to say that's very relevant. I did not purchase the 3DS because we already had the DSi XL (x2), and frankly, the 3DS was a downgrade from the DSi XL. Now that the 3DS XL has been released, I'm sure it is selling better than the 3DS because the original 3DS simply was not an upgrade to the DSi XL. However, the 2DS is definitely not an upgrade from the DSi XL. The only thing that could make it an "upgrade" is the ability to play the exclusive 3DS games that Nintendo screwed all of its millions of existing customers out of in attempt to "force" them to buy the 3DS.

Everything I have stated is fact and can be easily Googled to clarify.
You suggested I do so, so I did.

Trend that kids are dumping portable game consoles (specifically "Nintendos") for phones and tablets:
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/09/12/np...apple-products/

Stats that show that the PSP has to-date sold almost 2x the number of units as the 3DS:
http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

Sorry, couldn't seem to find any of your "facts". I did find OPINIONS that backed up some of your statements, but I can assure you that I can also find plenty of OPINIONS to back up all of mine.

Your awareness of what goes on in the gaming industry is severely limited. You are too invested in your ignorance.
Okay, first of all, exactly how does one become invested in ignorance? I think by very definition that's a rather oxymoronic statement, since it's not really possible to invest anything (time, money, thought, etc.) in knowing nothing about a particular subject. The very act of investing something would automatically make me less ignorant.

My awareness and opinion on the gaming industry is the only thing that counts -- at least to me and how I spend my money. As someone who owned every major gaming platform in history, I'd have to say that the fact that I do not own a XBOX One, Wii U, or 3DS should say a lot. The fact that I am clearly willing to spend money on gaming platforms, but will not buy those three should be highly relevant to the manufacturers of those devices.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Mar 2014 @ 12:29

289.3.2014 00:58

I am sorry as you seem to see sales quantity as the main term for success but while that may look good to the naive and on paper to some it is not a true measure of success.
My portfolio is very successful (>35% return), so I can assure that I understand profit.

Nintendo is a one-trick pony -- all they have is video games. Sony and Microsoft have the ability to write off their gaming console divisions on a whim, and still could be successful companies. What is Nintendo, a dedicated gaming console company, going to do without a non-portable console offering?

299.3.2014 06:04

At the end of the day it would be a bad thing if Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony ceased making consoles. The consumer looses out as we have less choice. We lost Sega, lets hope we don't lose anyone else.

Just be sure to support your console of choice.

309.3.2014 14:54

Originally posted by Mysttic:
"No, that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about being on another console. "

Soul Calibre 2 was on all platforms when it released: so yes it's rare but not unthinkable. As Nintendo said, they would do it if they see profitability and recognizable potential sales towards their hardware.

Last so what if they never would again anyhow: it's not like you going to see Sony release God of War/Infamous/ anything Naughty Dog is going to land on Xbox or Wii.
What? Soul Calibur is not owned by Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo. Also Link was only in the Gamecube version.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Mar 2014 @ 2:55

319.3.2014 15:08

The PS Vita sold to me x2, and yet the inferior 3DS did not (even though Ive bought every other Nintendo portable and never owned or had any interest in the PSP). Seems like a very relevant point to me.
No one cares what you think really

However, the 2DS is definitely not an upgrade from the DSi XL. The only thing that could make it an "upgrade" is the ability to play the exclusive 3DS games that Nintendo screwed all of its millions of existing customers out of in attempt to "force" them to buy the 3DS.
What? Its a entirely new system with entirely newer hardware than the DS BTW which is capable graphically of stuff the Ds couldnt.

Trend that kids are dumping portable game consoles (specifically "Nintendos") for phones and tablets:
link
Those crappy news only focus in Nintendo because Sony is so irrelevant to the handheld market, hence why theyre not mentioned. Still, despite all of that, the 3DS is still selling quite well

Stats that show that the PSP has to-date sold almost 2x the number of units as the 3DS:
link
Theyre not even from the same generation.

PSP and DS/DSi are from the seventh generation

3DS and Vita are from the eighth generation

So of course the PSP has sold more than the 3DS when its been out for 10 years

And if you want to play the sales game, the 3DS has sold 44m worldwide, while the Vita only about 8m

329.3.2014 16:55

Quote:
@mystic,
Though that is true, still you could only play as link on the GameCube version and not on the other consoles. -
You gotta point there, forgot to factor that in. Than in this case I have to admit it'd be suicide for Nintendo to license any IP to other platforms as it would urge more people into buying the competitions hardware. I can't really blame them for not wanting to go down the potential same path of SEGA.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Mar 2014 @ 4:56

339.3.2014 21:13

No one cares what you think really
Really? Because you sure seem to care. You've replied quoting my posts several times now. Thanks for apparently caring so much.

What? Its a entirely new system with entirely newer hardware than the DS BTW which is capable graphically of stuff the Ds couldnt.
Well, *my* DSi XL can actually do more than the stock 3DS can, so it wasn't (and still isn't) an upgrade for me.

Those crappy news only focus in Nintendo because Sony is so irrelevant to the handheld market, hence why theyre not mentioned. Still, despite all of that, the 3DS is still selling quite well
Not as well as phones and tablets, and the #1 thing that most phone and tablet owners do with their devices? Yep, play games.

Theyre not even from the same generation.

PSP and DS/DSi are from the seventh generation

3DS and Vita are from the eighth generation

So of course the PSP has sold more than the 3DS when its been out for 10 years

And if you want to play the sales game, the 3DS has sold 44m worldwide, while the Vita only about 8m
You said:
Are you that dense? It doesn't matter if the Vita has superior tech, if it's not selling then the whole point is mute (same happened with the PSP).
Clearly it mattered that the PSP was superior tech because they ended up selling rather well (80.75 million units) during its market life. That's more than the NES, SNES, and GameCube sold during their respective market lives and comes close to beating them combined. Honestly, that's not a bad a second place finish and shows that plenty of people wanted an alternative to the DS and Nintendo.

349.3.2014 22:05

Well, *my* DSi XL can actually do more than the stock 3DS can, so it wasn't (and still isn't) an upgrade for me.
What? What more can it even do? 3DS will play DS, DSi exclusive games (including DSiWare games) and has all the stock applications in it and 3DS/3DSWare games + VC games + new apps just for it. Also you know you can just simply turn off the 3D right? The games don't require it's use.

Not as well as phones and tablets, and the #1 thing that most phone and tablet owners do with their devices? Yep, play games.
Uh, ok. You said that they can't survive on a market that is going over to smartphone, other guy replied that sales are indicating that market still want it, but they need to make changes, then you reply to the same guy with your link about kids dumping Nintendo for smartphones (citing specifically Nintendo, I tell you why it's wrong and then you reply with this ... Ignoring the fact that the vita is a selling a little less than 1/4 of the total 3DS sales.

Your post doesn't sense, what are you attacking exactly? Also smartphone heavily impact the Vita too...

You said:
Not me

That's more than the NES, SNES, and GameCube
I give it to you for the Gamecube, but comparing it to Nes and Snes isn't right. The market got much, much bigger in the last 10 years than it was during the NES and SNES.

Also BTW, second place was last place. Unless you count (and you shouldn't) small stuff that didn't even come close to competing. Also the PSP sold a little less than half of the DS. The Vita is currently in a much worse situation.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Mar 2014 @ 10:07

359.3.2014 22:19

play nice you guys!!!

3610.3.2014 00:35

It's ridiculous how worked up people get when talking about Nintendo, Fanboyism does nothing but inhibits people from experiencing some excellent software that's available. All 3 of the consoles have excellent software titles that are exclusivity released for each. I understand its not the "Cool" thing in school to talk about getting your ass handed you in the new super Luigi U, but I stand confused as to how so many people will bash a console they have never even played?

It would be also important to mention how many people have forgotten the difference between Nintendo, Xbox, and PS4.
I see so many people arguing the features and comparing a HTPC to a console that is built simply to play games in a new way and nothing more. Yeah a few internet features but if online game play is what your passionate about, Xbox would be by far your best choice. want to save on the online gameplay and enjoy great exclusives like little big planet, twisted metal, SquareEnix Titles, Gran turismo with emphasis on graphics ect PS4 is gonna be the best console for you, but if your into just putting a game in and playing with a new experience every time and could care less about demanding the company make you a HTPC Nintendo is the way to go.

I understand Nintendo had a late start on 1st party releases and people want to point the finger but seriously? xbox and PS4 are greatly lacking in good launch releases, M$ knew they were lacking by filling the store shelves with pre order boxes a year out.

But just as Nintendo has got a great line up for this year PS4 & Xbox will soon enough. If people want to bash a console they have yet to play, they are only shooting themselves in the foot or they are more about the "Trend" factor than the games, its blatantly obvious Nintendo is an awesome developer when they walk away from the Vegas Game show with the most amount of awards yearly, but hey they can keep complaining, save some money, and miss out on some great titles. Personally I just buy all the consoles as soon as each one has a healthy lineup of titles I want to play.

3710.3.2014 01:12

Originally posted by Menion:
...if online game play is what your passionate about, Xbox would be by far your best choice.
You wrote a long piece and I'm sorry to seem like I'm nitpicking here but can you clarify that? I can see that if you have an already established circle of friends that game on Xbox Live from the X360 days... but as far as the new PS4 is concerned they've claimed they've updated their online experience. And yeah, you pay for it now, one of the reasons given to claim the X360 online was better at the time.

3810.3.2014 02:04

What? What more can it even do? 3DS will play DS, DSi exclusive games (including DSiWare games) and has all the stock applications in it and 3DS/3DSWare games + VC games + new apps just for it. Also you know you can just simply turn off the 3D right? The games don't require it's use.
Why would I buy another portable console just to play maybe 3 new games (most of the rest are just 3D reworks of previous software titles) only to turn off the main feature for why I'm supposed to want this console over the DSi XL that I already have? I can think of a lot more useful things to buy for $200.

As for what my DSi XL can do that the 3DS can't, what do you care? Remember, my opinion doesn't matter so why would I help you make a better purchase decision for portable consoles?

Uh, ok. You said that they can't survive on a market that is going over to smartphone, other guy replied that sales are indicating that market still want it, but they need to make changes, then you reply to the same guy with your link about kids dumping Nintendo for smartphones (citing specifically Nintendo, I tell you why it's wrong and then you reply with this ... Ignoring the fact that the vita is a selling a little less than 1/4 of the total 3DS sales.

Your post doesn't sense, what are you attacking exactly?
My post makes more sense than yours, but I admit that's mostly because I don't leave out key words like verbs and I know how to punctuate (and type).

That being said, the link that I posted stated, "The Nintendo 3DS is only being used by 9% of young people, after being on the market roughly 30 months." Okay, that's not a very good statistic for Nintendo. If it's selling as well as you (and Nintendo) claim/report, what that should tell anyone looking at both those stats is that parents are buying the kiddies a 3DS for Christmas, birthdays, etc., but the kiddies simply aren't playing it. Why? Because phones and tablets are more readily available to them, the games are exponentially cheaper (which the parents like), and phone/tablet games are what is actually popular now when it comes to portable gaming (which is what the kids like).

Also smartphone heavily impact the Vita too...
The obvious difference is that Nintendo doesn't offer a phone or tablet, whereas both Sony and Microsoft do. And in the case of Sony, they offer the best selling console of all time, the current best-selling console, a rather successful portable console, several tablets, and several phones. And that's just their offerings relevant to gaming, as they also offer audio and video electronics, TVs, computers, still cameras, video cameras, portable audio, arguably the top rated video editing software suite, etc.

Nintendo is a one-trick pony, and right now that pony is trying to walk around on only one leg.

You said:
Not me
Yeah, funny thing, that. Although you're not the same username, you seem to have taken over precisely where he left off, and did so rather passionately for someone who has the rank of "Newbie" and came late to this discussion.

I give it to you for the Gamecube, but comparing it to Nes and Snes isn't right. The market got much, much bigger in the last 10 years than it was during the NES and SNES.
Thanks, but I'll still take all three as it was my point to make. Was the same Nintendo not the manufacturer of the NES and SNES? Sorry, but you can't just pick and choose in blatant attempt to make Nintendo look better. If you're going to do that, then I choose to strike the Vita's sales stats from my side of the argument.

Also BTW, second place was last place. Unless you count (and you shouldn't) small stuff that didn't even come close to competing. Also the PSP sold a little less than half of the DS. The Vita is currently in a much worse situation.
Portable gaming has always been targeted as second row seat entertainment for the kids. That's the sole reason why the DS, GameBoy, GBA, and even the 3DS are as successful as they are. The fact that a much more adult oriented portable console like the PSP was half as successful is actually very significant, because the PSP was never intended to be the electronic babysitter for the kiddies, and yet it still sold half as much as the Nintendo offering that blatantly targets kids. The explanation for why the Vita isn't doing as well as the 3DS is exactly the same: Parents are buying the 3DS for the children. The Vita is typically purchased by adults for adults (or at least much older "children"). The reason the Vita isn't doing as well as the PSP did is directly because of phones and tablets. The young adult target market of the Vita typically already has a phone and/or tablet. The young child target market of the 3DS typically does not have full-time access to a phone and/or tablet, and yet the statistic I quote above says that only 9% of young people are using a 3DS. That doesn't sound like very good statistics for Nintendo. Sure, the console sales are up, but if the kids aren't playing them then they're not buying games, so the platform is going to die anyway. I'm guessing you think it won't, but...hey, that's what everyone said about the Wii and Wii U, too, and now developers are refusing to put out Wii U games.

How do you think the stats would turn out if we added Sony's tablet and phone statistics to their portable gaming stats? To be fair, we would, of course, add Nintendo's phone and tablet stats as well...wait...OOPS.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Mar 2014 @ 2:09

3910.3.2014 02:35

Originally posted by Menion:
It's ridiculous how worked up people get when talking about Nintendo, Fanboyism does nothing but inhibits people from experiencing some excellent software that's available. All 3 of the consoles have excellent software titles that are exclusivity released for each. I understand its not the "Cool" thing in school to talk about getting your ass handed you in the new super Luigi U, but I stand confused as to how so many people will bash a console they have never even played?

I've never owned/driven a pink Cadillac, but I can say with 100% certainty that I would not enjoy owning such a vehicle and therefore do not want one.

In my house I have the SNES, Wii, GameBoy, GBA, DS, DSi, DSi XL, PSOne, PS2, PS3(x2), PS4(x2), and XBox 360(x2). When it came time to choose between the PS4 or XBox One, it was actually rather easy. Although both consoles have their exclusive games, both consoles are requiring you to upgrade to continue playing them since neither offers backward compatibility. So that really evens the playing field and allows you to choose the better console purely on its own advertised specs/merits instead of just going with a default decision because you have more purchased games for one console than the other.

Simply put, Microsoft did not do the XBOX One any favors with its arrogant and cocky pre-release information/rumors concerning overbearing copyright protection, online requirements, limited hard drive size, limited launch day games, disappointing system specs, privacy concerns with Kinect, etc.

Sony handled that much better with the PS4, to the point that my oldest son (college age) who is heavily invested in the XBOX 360 decided to switch to the PS4.

Nintendo completely botched the Wii U release by simply not advertising it....at all. And then they do the same screwing over of their existing customers with the Wii U that they did with the 3DS -- only releasing new versions of their very popular exclusive game titles on the Wii U and 3DS, but not the Wii or the DSi. Nintendo might view that as a good marketing strategy, but as an existing customer I simply don't. Sure, they can reward the early adopters with new titles, but they should have eventually released these same titles to their older platforms, especially when they were still selling the Wii and DSi/DSi XL in stores. That's just pure greed without any concern for your existing customers, and don't reward companies with policies like this.

So for me, the decision was a no-brainer. No XBOX One and no Wii U. Instead we went with two PS4s, two Vitas, a couple of Android tablets, several iPads, and several Android and Apple phones. Frankly, I don't feel that we're missing out on anything, and the statistics are clearly showing that we're not the only ones who feel that way.

4010.3.2014 06:43

It's so annoying when Fanboys come here slating a system they have no intention of buying or playing. So what if the Wii U isn't up there with the PS4 or Xbox One?? I own a an Xbox and Xbox 360.. Yeah they're great. I own a PS2, PS3 and PS4.. Yep they're great. I own a Wii and Wii U and I think they are great machines. The Kids have a fab time on the Wii, Wii U because those games don't involve violence, swearing, running around with machine guns etc. Lets talk about software. Whilst I enjoyed many games on the PS3 and Xbox360 I got sick to death of the amount of darn war sims and shooters being released. For heavens sake! enough already!!!! Xbox One and PS4??? Sigh.... War shooters AGAIN!!!!!! Arggggghhhhh. This is why I like games such as the GTA series which is different! and when I get fed up with the same darn title lists of shooters I turn on the Wii and play Mario Galaxy and other great titles. This is what makes Nintendo unique and appealing for parents and kids. I like all the consoles and buy them for various reasons and titles. People should stop moaning about why the Wii U sucks. It doesn't, the lack of software sucks! When the titles begin to flow and they will do... the sales will get stronger. If people don't like the Wii U or Nintendo products then move along.... nothing to see here.

4110.3.2014 08:36

Why would I buy another portable console just to play maybe 3 new games (most of the rest are just 3D reworks of previous software titles)
So, you're just doing to be THAT guy are you?

There's plenty of games already, a lot not even by Nintendo. And even Nintendo made new franshises for the eShop and are bringing new stuff like Tomodachi Collection, which we never got the DS one.

As for what my DSi XL can do that the 3DS can't, what do you care? Remember, my opinion doesn't matter so why would I help you make a better purchase decision for portable consoles?
Lol "I wrote myself into a corner so I'll just avoid saying it entirely"

That being said, the link that I posted stated, "The Nintendo 3DS is only being used by 9% of young people, after being on the market roughly 30 months." ...

And:
The obvious difference is that Nintendo doesn't offer a phone or tablet ... etc

Irrelevant, youth turning to smartphones affects the Vita and Sony having their own tablet line does absolutely nothing to this argument. Smartphones don't have the same game quality (or controls) than handhelds. They,re something else entirely.

Yeah, funny thing, that. Although you're not the same username, you seem to have taken over precisely where he left off, and did so rather passionately for someone who has the rank of "Newbie" and came late to this discussion.
Whatever makes you sleep better at night

Thanks, but I'll still take all three as it was my point to make. Was the same Nintendo not the manufacturer of the NES and SNES? Sorry, but you can't just pick and choose in blatant attempt to make Nintendo look better. If you're going to do that, then I choose to strike the Vita's sales stats from my side of the argument.
Yeah .... I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. You can't just ignore fact and cherry pick numbers from different generations, in times where gaming wasn't as big, in times where 8 millions was actually decent (which isn't now)

Also BTW, the Snes sold 40m worldwide, the N64 32 millions and the Gamecube 21 millions.... Which are all above the Vita. Please cherry pick things that goes in your advantage at least.

The explanation for why the Vita isn't doing as well as the 3DS is exactly the same: Parents are buying the 3DS for the children. The Vita is typically purchased by adults for adults (or at least much older "children"). The reason the Vita isn't doing as well as the PSP did is directly because of phones and tablets. The young adult target market of the Vita typically already has a phone and/or tablet. The young child target market of the 3DS typically does not have full-time access to a phone and/or tablet, and yet the statistic I quote above says that only 9% of young people are using a 3DS. That doesn't sound like very good statistics for Nintendo. Sure, the console sales are up, but if the kids aren't playing them then they're not buying games, so the platform is going to die anyway. I'm guessing you think it won't, but...hey, that's what everyone said about the Wii and Wii U, too, and now developers are refusing to put out Wii U games.

How do you think the stats would turn out if we added Sony's tablet and phone statistics to their portable gaming stats? To be fair, we would, of course, add Nintendo's phone and tablet stats as well...wait...OOPS.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/18/po...students-japan/
And I'd say it's also very much the case here, everyone that has a 3DS in college here is also playing Pokémon

It's not because it's mainly marketed to kids that it only sells to kids you know?

Also Sony's Smartphones sold numbers are very irrelevant to the conversation
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Mar 2014 @ 10:07

4210.3.2014 11:19

Originally posted by TrinUK:
It's so annoying when Fanboys come here slating a system they have no intention of buying or playing.
Yeah. Sure. I'm a "Fanboy". I've just owned every major console system since the beginning of console systems, but I'm just a "Fanboy" of...uh...all of them...? Given how many of the consoles I do own, I seriously doubt that there's anyone more qualified to discuss them here, and I definitely can't be called a "Fanboy" when I've invested in all them.

4310.3.2014 11:36

It's so annoying when Fanboys come here slating a system they have no intention of buying or playing.
Yeah. Sure. I'm a "Fanboy". I've just owned every major console system since the beginning of console systems, but I'm just a "Fanboy" of...uh...all of them...? Given how many of the consoles I do own, I seriously doubt that there's anyone more qualified to discuss them here, and I definitely can't be called a "Fanboy" when I've invested in all them.

Now what exactly is the point of your comment????

4410.3.2014 11:40

Originally posted by Jemborg:

I did that!... but I had no idea that it was "allowed". You sure?

Well, let's put it like this, despite various lurid warnings from certain quarters that one day 'M$' would brick your console for doing so it never happened & lots of people fitted a 250gb or 320gb HDD in their Xbox & saw no difference compared to the official ones at all.

It's not like they didn't know it was going on & they could, had they wanted to, have stopped it, so yes, I'd say it was allowed.

4510.3.2014 11:44

Exactly.... Perhaps you should take time to read the comment aimed at Fanboys who do not own the system but bad mouth it - as I clearly wrote.

4610.3.2014 12:14

There's plenty of games already, a lot not even by Nintendo. And even Nintendo made new franshises for the eShop and are bringing new stuff like Tomodachi Collection, which we never got the DS one.
You do realize that the 3DS and the Vita are within about dozen total games of each other, right? By eShop do you mean that pale imitation of PSN? And am I or my teenagers (or especially my college kids) supposed to be jumping for joy over Tomodachi anything? How old are you? Does mom know you're on the internet so much?

Lol "I wrote myself into a corner so I'll just avoid saying it entirely"
No, it's more like "I'm not stupid enough to post it on a public forum just because of your feeble attempt at double-dog daring me." Nice try, but epic fail.

Irrelevant, youth turning to smartphones affects the Vita and Sony having their own tablet line does absolutely nothing to this argument. Smartphones don't have the same game quality (or controls) than handhelds. They,re something else entirely.
Really? Because the same thing was said about consoles taking over for PC gaming..."never going to happen -- console hardware is too stagnant...controls are too limiting...a mouse, keyboard, easily degradable hardware is the future....". It happened. And the exact same thing is happening (mostly already happened) to portable gaming due to phones and tablets.

Have you ever played a Need for Speed (or similar simulation) title on DS or even 3DS? Have you seen that same title on a phone or tablet? The phone/tablet graphics are so vastly superior it puts the Nintendo offering right back in the 1990's where it probably belongs. And all of the consoles have had motion based controllers for two generations now...the same type of motion control that phones and tablets have. There's also this crazy thing on phones and tablets called Bluetooth, which coincidentally is the exact same wireless technology that the console controllers use. My children have been playing games for years now on my Android phone connected to a HDTV via HDMI and using a Wii controller or a PS3 controller. They even make mounts for like $5 that put a phone right on top of a PS3 controller for a true handheld gaming solution.

You and Nintendo are just refusing to face reality.

Yeah .... I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. You can't just ignore fact and cherry pick numbers from different generations, in times where gaming wasn't as big, in times where 8 millions was actually decent (which isn't now)
First of all, I can do whatever I want for my side of the debate. Why would I take your advice (or interpretation of the "rules") when you're so clearly the opposition to my opinion on the matter? Again, nice try, but epic fail.

Second, I'm not really cherry picking. I'm requesting that the companies (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) be considered in whole -- past, present, and future. Nintendo quickly becomes "who?" when you do that, as the respective gaming divisions of Sony and Microsoft are just a minuscule part of much larger companies. Again, all Nintendo has is a gaming division, and their only home console offering has X'es over its anime eyeballs (in other words, it's dead), and they now have to rely completely on the portable kiddie console to keep their head above water when portable gaming is being completely dominated by phones and tablets.

The other thing I find rather ironic is how everyone is talking about Sony and Microsoft's financials, but no one ever seems to mention that a year ago the MUCH smaller Nintendo posted like a $28 million loss. Again, it's a lot more difficult for a one-trick pony company to recover from something like that, especially when their major console is the reason they tanked.

Also BTW, the Snes sold 40m worldwide, the N64 32 millions and the Gamecube 21 millions.... Which are all above the Vita. Please cherry pick things that goes in your advantage at least.
You're now reverse cherry picking. Let's compare all of the Nintendo consoles and all of the Sony consoles totalled up. And then, yes, you still have to factor in all of Sony's other non-gaming divisions because they count, too, for better or worse. It's not Sony or Microsoft's fault that Nintendo is stubbornly sticking with it's single pony act when everyone else in the console wars is bringing a multi-ring circus to the profit (and loss) table.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/18/pokemon-x-y-sold-mainly-college-students-japan/
And I'd say it's also very much the case here, everyone that has a 3DS in college here is also playing Pokémon
I actually lived in Japan for 3 years, from the age of 16-19, and hung around with a lot of Japanese high school and college students during that time. Because of that first-hand experience, I can definitely say that Japan is a COMPLETELY different market in just about every single aspect for just about every single product from the North American or even European markets. So I'd have to say that, no, it's not very much the same case here (in North America) as it is in Japan.

I also have two college age children now, as well as a teenager and one pre-teen. None of the four (including the pre-teen) is interested in Pokemon AT ALL and neither are any of their numerous friends. So, again, I'd have to definitely say that it's not the same case here as it is in Japan....at all.

Gee, do you think there was a reason why the article's title specifically stated, "IN JAPAN"? Probably because those statistics are only relevant/apply to Japan. Again, from living there, I'm really not surprised at all. But that's not North America.

Also Sony's Smartphones sold numbers are very irrelevant to the conversation
Again, not when the phone and tablet industry is rapidly dominating portable gaming. Given that Sony doesn't really offer a popular phone or tablet, the specific Sony numbers probably aren't that significant, but for the iPhone and iPad and other more popular Android offerings, the numbers are overwhelmingly significant. Nintendo (and you) are just too stubborn to admit it.

4710.3.2014 12:22

Exactly.... Perhaps you should take time to read the comment aimed at Fanboys who do not own the system but bad mouth it - as I clearly wrote.
I did read your comment, and as I am the only one currently badmouthing the Wii U and Nintendo in this thread and I do not own either of their current console systems (Wii U or 3DS), one can only construe the "Fanboy" comment was directed at me.

Your comment was directed at "Fanboys who come here" (meaning to this site). If you were actually talking about people who don't come here, then you probably should've posted that instead.

4810.3.2014 12:32

Quote "I definitely can't be called a "Fanboy" when I've invested in all them"

You clearly have not invested in all of them if you don't have a Wii U.

4910.3.2014 12:59

And am I or my teenagers (or especially my college kids) supposed to be jumping for joy over Tomodachi anything? How old are you? Does mom know you're on the internet so much?
Lol, the "mature" vs "kiddy" crap argument again. I'm 24 and I don't have the need to play edgy dark "mature" games to make me feel like a big man. Who cares if Mario is seen as "kiddy", I'll play whatever is fun regardless of what people think of it.

No, it's more like "I'm not stupid enough to post it on a public forum just because of your feeble attempt at double-dog daring me." Nice try, but epic fail.
You're only proving my point and making yourself look bad at the same time.

Have you ever played a Need for Speed (or similar simulation) title on DS or even 3DS? Have you seen that same title on a phone or tablet? The phone/tablet graphics are so vastly superior it puts the Nintendo offering right back in the 1990's where it probably belongs.
Irrelevant. And there's more to games than pure raw graphics. I hate the graphics argument so much, someone could make a new game on NES with NES limitations and it still could be fun, so who cares? Anyways, superior graphics sure didn't help the PSP against the DS.

They even make mounts for like $5 that put a phone right on top of a PS3 controller for a true handheld gaming solution.
That's not exactly super portable. If it can't fit entirely in your pocket, that's not portable

First of all, I can do whatever I want for my side of the debate. Why would I take your advice (or interpretation of the "rules") when you're so clearly the opposition to my opinion on the matter? Again, nice try, but epic fail.
Because you can't just simply twist facts to your advantages and think you're right. That's not how an argument work

Second, I'm not really cherry picking. I'm requesting that the companies (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) be considered in whole -- past, present, and future.

Oh lol please. That part of the argument started when you compared the PSP sales to the NES and SNES, which I said it's wrong because they're not even in the same generation (in which the market wasn't as big). Not only that's cherry picking, but it was just plain wrong. You can't just go back and say "uhhh let's compare it to everything instead!". This argument is about 3DS vs Vita, and the only other relevant data right now is PSP vs DS.

The other thing I find rather ironic is how everyone is talking about Sony and Microsoft's financials, but no one ever seems to mention that a year ago the MUCH smaller Nintendo posted like a $28 million loss. Again, it's a lot more difficult for a one-trick pony company to recover from something like that, especially when their major console is the reason they tanked.

http://i.imgur.com/zYw1A.jpg

Nintendo will be fine. As you can see, Sony lost all of their profits they got during the PS2 with the PS3. The question is, will they be able to make this much profits this time around?

Thing is, for xbox:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the...ng-and-surface/

And for Sony:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2...ls-for-break-up

For both, throwing as much money around as been a big strategy for a while. Xbox haven't made much profits, and while Sony (the gaming division) is getting some profits here and there, the rest of the company is doing terribly (firing, restructuring and the recent building selling...), if they goes and separate all of the branches, they'll lose their ability to throw money freely and wouldn't be able to take such losses for long. If it happens, you better believe the Vita is gonna get dropped instantly.

On the other hand, Nintendo has a loss, one single loss for 1 year, they'll survive. and compared to Sony, Nintendo doesn't have debts either, so they actually own all that cash.

I'd say generally, Sony and Microsoft are much more likely to drop out of gaming than Nintendo.

You're now reverse cherry picking.
I didn't cherry pick anything, I just turned your argument against you

5010.3.2014 13:08

Also, the smartphone market is an absolute total mess. Rampant piracy on Android and sea of crap, quick clones and F2P to it's absolute worst on mobile. I've seen developers get quickly discouraged at the overall state of the market and it's users. Free demo but has paid content? Instead 1 star ratings. Also most users are expecting games to the 1$ range, which heavily devalue games and makes it harder for bigger stuff with actual production value put into it to succeed.

Also, the controls, urrg, if you have to put a virtual d-pad + buttons on your games for it to be playable, then your game was not meant for this platform.

Both current handhelds however are very good for indies developper
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/30/gu...y-nintendo-3ds/
That game even sold more on 3DS than on smartphone

5110.3.2014 13:11

And am I or my teenagers (or especially my college kids) supposed to be jumping for joy over Tomodachi anything? How old are you? Does mom know you're on the internet so much?
Lol, the "mature" vs "kiddy" crap argument again. I'm 24 and I don't have the need to play edgy dark "mature" games to make me feel like a big man. Who cares if Mario is seen as "kiddy", I'll play whatever is fun regardless of what people think of it.

You're only proving my point and making yourself look bad at the same time.

Have you ever played a Need for Speed (or similar simulation) title on DS or even 3DS? Have you seen that same title on a phone or tablet? The phone/tablet graphics are so vastly superior it puts the Nintendo offering right back in the 1990's where it probably belongs.
Irrelevant. And there's more to games than pure raw graphics. I hate the graphics argument so much, someone could make a new game on NES with NES limitations and it still could be fun, so who cares? Anyways, superior graphics sure didn't help the PSP against the DS.

They even make mounts for like $5 that put a phone right on top of a PS3 controller for a true handheld gaming solution.
That's not exactly super portable. If it can't fit entirely in your pocket, that's not portable

Because you can't just simply twist facts to your advantages and think you're right. That's not how an argument work

Second, I'm not really cherry picking. I'm requesting that the companies (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) be considered in whole -- past, present, and future.

Oh lol please. That part of the argument started when you compared the PSP sales to the NES and SNES, which I said it's wrong because they're not even in the same generation (in which the market wasn't as big). Not only that's cherry picking, but it was just plain wrong. You can't just go back and say "uhhh let's compare it to everything instead!". This argument is about 3DS vs Vita, and the only other relevant data right now is PSP vs DS.

http://i.imgur.com/zYw1A.jpg

Nintendo will be fine. As you can see, Sony lost all of their profits they got during the PS2 with the PS3. The question is, will they be able to make this much profits this time around?

Thing is, for xbox:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the...ng-and-surface/

And for Sony:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2...ls-for-break-up

For both, throwing as much money around as been a big strategy for a while. Xbox haven't made much profits, and while Sony (the gaming division) is getting some profits here and there, the rest of the company is doing terribly (firing, restructuring and the recent building selling...), if they goes and separate all of the branches, they'll lose their ability to throw money freely and wouldn't be able to take such losses for long. If it happens, you better believe the Vita is gonna get dropped instantly.

On the other hand, Nintendo has a loss, one single loss for 1 year, they'll survive. and compared to Sony, Nintendo doesn't have debts either, so they actually own all that cash.

I'd say generally, Sony and Microsoft are much more likely to drop out of gaming than Nintendo.

You're now reverse cherry picking.
I didn't cherry pick anything, I just turned your argument against you
This right here. But, this guy is not looking at things in a objective, economic perspective. So I just gave up lol.

5210.3.2014 13:23

Also, the smartphone market is an absolute total mess. Rampant piracy on Android and sea of crap, quick clones and F2P to it's absolute worst on mobile. I've seen developers get quickly discouraged at the overall state of the market and it's users. Free demo but has paid content? Instead 1 star ratings. Also most users are expecting games to the 1$ range, which heavily devalue games and makes it harder for bigger stuff with actual production value put into it to succeed.

Also, the controls, urrg, if you have to put a virtual d-pad + buttons on your games for it to be playable, then your game was not meant for this platform.

Both current handhelds however are very good for indies developper
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/30/gu...y-nintendo-3ds/
That game even sold more on 3DS than on smartphone
Well said. Smartphones are a gimmick that is slowly but surely coming to an end in terms of gaming. Many forget the word "Trend" in the equation. It's all about the social media and communication apps nowadays. PC sales will rise again in future along side tablets - remote login and cloud tech as fuel costs rise.

5310.3.2014 17:07

Lol, the "mature" vs "kiddy" crap argument again. I'm 24 and...
Okay, I've fed the trolls long enough and said all I wanted (or needed) to say, oh...about 4 posts ago.

Honestly, all I had to see was I was debating with a 24 year old (just one because darkprogame and deucezulu22 are highly likely the same person, posting 3 mins apart, only on this thread, and only in response to my posts...uh, huh), and it was clear that I was wasting my time.

I'm twice your age, twice your life experience, at least twice your tech experience (I owned my first computer and wrote my first game well before you were born), and I really don't think our portfolios would compare, especially when mine is so successful that I retired from a very successful IT career 10 years ago.

But I wouldn't know anything about profit margins, stock investments, successful vs. unsuccessful companies, IT related things, technology, electronic devices, stuff like that...

...well, not as much as a 24-year-old, of course.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Mar 2014 @ 5:17

5410.3.2014 17:45

GernBlan, you maybe double their age but still no excuse for you not reading the forum rules about multi-posting. read them!!!

5510.3.2014 19:21

Originally posted by ddp:
GernBlan, you maybe double their age but still no excuse for you not reading the forum rules about multi-posting. read them!!!
I'm well aware of the forum rules, and probably one of the few who have actually read them. The double posting was the fault of the forum app and not something done on purpose. I tried to delete one of them, but the forum does not offer such a feature. So I attempted to make a joke of it. If as a moderator you have access to a such a feature please do so. Thank you.

5610.3.2014 19:24

Look at that -- a post so nice it had to show up twice!

Lol, the "mature" vs "kiddy" crap argument again. I'm 24 and...
Okay, I've fed the trolls long enough and said all I wanted (or needed) to say, oh...about 4 posts ago.

Honestly, all I had to see was I was debating with a 24 year old (just one because darkprogame and deucezulu22 are highly likely the same person, posting 3 mins apart, only on this thread, and only in response to my posts...uh, huh), and it was clear that I was wasting my time.

I'm twice your age, twice your life experience, at least twice your tech experience (I owned my first computer and wrote my first game well before you were born), and I really don't think our portfolios would compare, especially when mine is so successful that I retired from a very successful IT career 10 years ago.

But I wouldn't know anything about profit margins, stock investments, successful vs. unsuccessful companies, IT related things, technology, electronic devices, stuff like that...

...well, not as much as a 24-year-old, of course.
So that's it? That's all you have to reply? "I'm older so surely I know better than you". Hilarious. Let's just go and assume you're in the game industry, being in the game industry wouldn't automatically mean you'd know what you're talking about either (And clearly, you aren't), I see game developers/game journalists/game industry analysts making fools of themselves all the damn time and talking absolute pure crap.

So yeah, clearly your background (if even related to the video games industry) isn't worth all that much by what you've been spewing since the beginning.

5710.3.2014 20:16

GernBlan, what about the other 5 times that you double posted with 1 that was a triple post. like i said read the forum rules!!!

5810.3.2014 23:06

GernBlan, what about the other 5 times that you double posted with 1 that was a triple post. like i said read the forum rules!!!
Really did not understand what you were referring to until I realized that you're assuming I'm using the Forum to post -- I'm not. I'm using the comments feature on the News site, which is apparently then also posting a copy of the comments to the News Comments forum on the Forums site.

The problem is not me -- it's the forum software. I'm only posting once, and all of my posts except the last one have not shown up in the News Comments as duplicate posts. So you may want to get with your site admin(s) and figure out what's going on wrong between your News comments and your News Comments forum. If I can be of any assistance (explaining what I'm specifically doing, what browser I'm using, etc.), I'll be happy to help.

One thing that you moderators should be made aware of -- there are no Forum Rules links or even any notice of rules anywhere in the News Comments feature, so publicly chastising someone who is posting a comment in the News section for not following forum rules isn't exactly appropriate. It's also not really appreciated for being "called out" and publicly chastised like this for a problem with the site software.

EDIT: When I posted this reply in the comments in the News section, it did not show up. However, when I came to the News Comments Forum the post was there. Who wants to bet that if I refresh the news page in Chrome that it will show the comment on the news page, but post a duplicate copy of the message in the forums? (Rhetorical question)

So that's it? That's all you have to reply? "I'm older so surely I know better than you". Hilarious. Let's just go and assume you're in the game industry...
Yep, I'm afraid that's all the time I have to attempt to educate a 24-year-old whippersnapper with (at most) half of my experience at...well...anything and everything.

Two things for the record:

1. I never said I was in the video game industry, so I really don't know what's with that latest tangent, and

2. Yes, at twice your age I surely do know better than you at everything except being an arrogant 24-year-old who obviously thinks he knows more than someone twice his age.

edited by ddp
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Mar 2014 @ 11:32

5910.3.2014 23:26

12. Repeated posts to increase total number of posts is not allowed. Especially if your message is the last in the thread, edit it rather than post a new message.
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

1st example
07 Mar 2014 @ 11:54
GernBlan
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/972521/5941482
07 Mar 2014 @ 12:09
GernBlan
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/972521/5941490

2nd example
08 Mar 2014 @ 0:36
GernBlan
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/972521/5941643
08 Mar 2014 @ 0:51
GernBlan
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/972521/5941645

3rd example
09 Mar 2014 @ 0:22
GernBlan
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/972521/5941907
09 Mar 2014 @ 0:58
GernBlan
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/972521/5941908

4th example
10 Mar 2014 @ 2:04
GernBlan
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/972521/5942156
10 Mar 2014 @ 2:35
GernBlan
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/972521/5942160

5th example
10 Mar 2014 @ 12:14
GernBlan
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/972521/5942273
10 Mar 2014 @ 12:22
GernBlan
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/972521/5942277

darkprogame, same goes to you too so knockoff the multi-posting.

6010.3.2014 23:36

12. Repeated posts to increase total number of posts is not allowed. Especially if your message is the last in the thread, edit it rather than post a new message.
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

darkprogame, same goes to you too so knockoff the multi-posting.
First, you still have a duplicate post problem with the forum software that you might want to check into.

Second, I'm not attempting to increase my post count, as I don't even know why I would want to do that. Is it a contest or something somewhere on the site that I'm not aware of? All I'm doing is simply replying to each post that I'm quoted in separately. Am I really supposed to respond to five different people with quotes and my own comments all in the same message?

Edit: Ah, I see. It has to do with the member rankings on the forum. I assure you, I really don't care what forum rank I have -- really cannot emphasize that enough.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Mar 2014 @ 11:39

6110.3.2014 23:37

i see 2 long forums posts (in this thread) 1 after the other by gernblan on 2 occasions,including the ones above????theres actually no limit on how many characters in a post.
accidental double post happens when you lose connection when posting and it posted exact same thing twice.

ddp time for a new saying R.T.F.R the F can be forum or something else.Yes that saying works.

back on topic i tried both the ds and psp ages ago found the graphics better on psp but ds was aimed at kids with games like brain training, havn't bothered with the newer versions as i have no need.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Mar 2014 @ 11:51

6210.3.2014 23:40

GernBlan,

Quote:
Am I really supposed to respond to five different people with quotes and my own comments all in the same message?

yes you are as i do & as do others but you don't need the quotes.

xboxdvl2, R.T.F.R.D. Read.The.F***ing.Rules.Dummy.?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Mar 2014 @ 1:13

6310.3.2014 23:51

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
i see 2 long forums posts (in this thread) 1 after the other by gernblan on 2 occasions,including the ones above????theres actually no limit on how many characters in a post.
accidental double post happens when you lose connection when posting and it posted exact same thing twice.

ddp time for a new saying R.T.F.R the F can be forum or something else.

back on topic i tried both the ds and psp ages ago found the graphics better on psp but ds was aimed at kids with games like brain training, havn't bothered with the newer versions as i have no need.
Again, I'm not posting to the forum -- the software is. I'm posting to the comments in the News section of the site, where there is no mention of Forum Rules or member ranks. I don't even have to have an account -- I can post a comment with a new user name each time. I had no idea that my comments were be cross-posted into a forum in the AfterDawn Forums section. If you look at my profile, you'll see that with the exception of one message from two years ago, I've never posted anything else directly to the forums -- I always go through the comments feature on the News site.

It's a little ridiculous to hold casual visitors of the site (who just come here to read tech news) accountable for the rules of the forum that they don't even realize they're posting to. AfterDawn moderators/admins may want to correct that before some other casual visitors to the news site end up getting their head chewed off.

GernBlan,
Quote:
Am I really supposed to respond to five different people with quotes and my own comments all in the same message?

yes you are as i do & as do others but you don't need the quotes.
Then why does your forum/comments software automatically quote the post when I click the Reply button if I'm not supposed to quote the messages?

xboxdvl2, R.T.F.R.D. Read.The.F**cking.Rules.Dummy.?
Forum Rule #6: "No foul language, insults, personal attacks or otherwise rude messages."
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Mar 2014 @ 11:59

6411.3.2014 06:16

hmm so many problems don't know where to start.
1. this is getting way off topic.
2.GernBlan you are arguing for the sake of arguing,btw if you did read the rules and the whole list you would of noticed last line it said its up to the admins and moderators what is and isn't permitted on this site.
ddp is a moderator and permitted his own post.
best advice i'd say is learn you made a mistake,accept it and move on,be glad that despite annoying a mod you are not actually banned.

looking back to the deucezulu22 versus glenblan argument.

kids today have more money and spent more on gaming,plus online gaming is more frequent and available. statistics show high number of gamers between 20-30.The age argument is flawed as people spend more money on gaming now then 10 or so years ago, gaming has gone from a multimillion dollar industry to a multi billion dollar industry.

hmm interesting need for speed.I have played need for speed since the original on ps1 & pc.I even have a youtube channel with videos of gameplay from needforspeed world.pc graphics beat handheld graphics on both, ps3 graphics beat both but i got told wii graphics are pretty much same as both ps3 & xbox 360 , not even sure what need for speed games are available on ds wouldn't waste my time playing it on a phone or ds anyway,also know ea games make stuff ups and banned people and don't give a reason or respond to emails.

also see the microsoft,sony and nintendo arguments,just a bit of past info ps1 was actually being worked on by nintendo and sony but sony pulled the plug and made it without them.
Microsoft make loads from pc software, if they could make a windows based system for low costs that could run high end games and market it they wouldn't actually need xbox (same thing just less customised).
Sony makes good quality gaming no issues there, just other sony products are failing, probably due to off shore manufactoring low wages & poor components.
Nintendo needs to make systems with better hardware to pull developers and be successful.
ds felt like snes graphics & gameplay to me just on a smaller screen.psp felt like ps1 which is better.

ok long post over.

6511.3.2014 09:52

hmm so many problems don't know where to start.
1. this is getting way off topic.

I'm not the one who did that, but yet you felt the pressing need to continue it, didn't you?

2.GernBlan you are arguing for the sake of arguing,
Allow me to make this abundantly clear for the last time: I did not post anything to a forum. I do not come to AfterDawn to participate in the forums -- I come here solely to read the Tech News. Sometimes I feel the need to comment on the Tech News. Please note what I said -- posting a "comment" is a one-way communication. I did not say that sometimes I enjoy discussion of the Tech News and I definitely did not say that I enjoy participating in the AfterDawn forums, because frankly, I do not care what most other people have to say about any particular subject. And before I'm criticized for that, this is true of most knowledgeable, opinionated people.

The irony is not lost on me that I have now been accused by a forum moderator of attempting to fluff my forum stats to improve my forum membership status/title, when I never knowingly posted to a forum here and what is really going on is AfterDawn is using the Tech News comments to make it look as if the AfterDawn forum is more active than it actually is (the News Comments forum is like the 4th most active of the AfterDawn forums). So, really...who is fluffing the stats? Exactly.

btw if you did read the rules and the whole list you would of noticed last line it said its up to the admins and moderators what is and isn't permitted on this site. ddp is a moderator and permitted his own post.
Yeah, and it's real appropriate that in the same post chastising me for not following the rules on an insignificant (and incorrectly assumed) technicality, a moderator blatantly posts profanity in violation of the exact set of rules that he was citing? Of course, the likely reason that you're defending that is the moderator was actually quoting the profanity in your prior post, so it's actually rather audacious that you're now attempting to explain the forum rules to me.

Again, I'm not posting to the forum, I'm posting to the Tech News comments. At no time was I ever prompted to agree to any forum rules when posting comments, so I am actually not bound to any set of rules. That being said, my behavior here is not and has not been anywhere close to as inappropriate as even the moderator's, and that's not including the obnoxious, disrespectful posts from a belligerent 24-year-old talking out of their posterior.

best advice i'd say is learn you made a mistake,accept it and move on,be glad that despite annoying a mod you are not actually banned.
I did not make a mistake -- the moderator did, as he does not seem to understand how this website is configured, specifically the connection between the Tech News comments and the Forums. This same moderator blatantly (and more grossly) violated the same set of rules he's incorrectly enforcing on me for minuscule technicality of how I simply used the News Comments software features to reply to posts.

Banning is not a legitimate threat to me, because...again...I'm not participating in the forums so I do not care if I have any lasting identity here. I'm simply posting an occasional comment to the Tech News stories, something that I can do with a different username each time.

looking back to the deucezulu22 versus glenblan argument.
Frankly, I was done discussing that after my first post, because, again, I didn't post my comment for discussion or debate.

The only regret I have in this is feeding the trolls, and I can assure that will not happen again.

6611.3.2014 10:08

because frankly, I do not care what most other people have to say about any particular subject. And before I'm criticized for that, this is true of most knowledgeable, opinionated people.

The only regret I have in this is feeding the trolls, and I can assure that will not happen again.
> Calling others trolls when he's the first one to start getting insulting
> First one to get insulting in earlier post, whine about someone else saying "profanities" (and censored, which is allowed in most places)

Nice superiority complex bro.

Anyways guys, don't bother with him anymore, it's been clear from beginning that this guy is a troll (or if he isn't.... Well, that's sad. Poe's law here... I've seen some stuff). Pointlessly arguing about stuff he doesn't have a grasp on, blindly hating stuff, calling others that don't agree with him a troll (trolls think this is clever somehow) and gets insulting and pushy when he's losing an argument... I've seen that way too often. That or the guy has serious superiority complex problems.

As for I, I just enjoy a good pointless argument once in a while.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Mar 2014 @ 1:30

6711.3.2014 11:05

I too enjoy reading the tech news but would very much appreciate it if this 'topic' could be closed. No pleasure in this for anyone & clearly GernBlan wants the last word. Jeez GernBlan rise above it or whatever & let go.

6811.3.2014 11:09

Nintendo needs to make systems with better hardware to pull developers and be successful.

And there it is in a nutshell!

That's what I was trying to say before... I'm not being any kind of fanboy here. Some can say, "big deal, I own every system anyway etc etc." but the respective companies don't see it like that. They don't expect that. They don't count on you buying every system. They see their customers as having limited money to spend and they want as much of it as possible. They want to be your "go to" console not your "also" console.

And, how do I put this?, it's bullshit to say that Sony and MS don't have plenty of kiddie/family friendly "non-shooty" games. Or that all the games are high-end on their platforms, a perusal of the Xbox Live and PSN online shops show plenty of cheapish indie type of games which are all about the gameplay and not gfx.

I want Ninty to stay in the game, I DO! But they need to compete ...on all levels, if Ninty can't cross-platform popular titles then gimmicks and a few exclusives are gonna get them only so far.

6911.3.2014 12:12

Wow I just had to say that this thread is sooooo familiar...kind of reminds me of a few years ago around here.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Mar 2014 @ 12:13

7011.3.2014 13:30

GernBlan, you say you don't have an account then why do you have junior member under your nic & why have you posted 181 times since 15 Sep 2006 @ 18:38?
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/393632/2379208
also i was not doing any profanity as i did not spell out the whole word.

hello oner. what part is "sooooo familiar"?

7111.3.2014 13:35

Originally posted by WiganScum:
I too enjoy reading the tech news but would very much appreciate it if this 'topic' could be closed. No pleasure in this for anyone & clearly GernBlan wants the last word. Jeez GernBlan rise above it or whatever & let go.
That's really weird, because it pretty much looks like you want the last word or what else would be the purpose of this last post? Jeez, WiganScum, rise above it or whatever & let it go.

Someone always has to have the last word -- might as well be me.

That or the guy has serious superiority complex problems.
Definitely this -- textbook caliber, too. Unfortunately, it's completely justified by all the inferiority I always seem to encounter...

And honestly with regard to this now being off-topic, was it really providing anything worthwhile even when it was on-topic? Well, other than what I posted?

Originally posted by Oner:
Wow I just had to say that this thread is sooooo familiar...kind of reminds me of a few years ago around here.
I wasn't around here a few years ago, and that would've put darkprogame in like diapers, so it probably wasn't either of us.

7211.3.2014 13:43

don't count on that.

7311.3.2014 14:00

GernBlan, you say you don't have an account then why do you have junior member under your nic & why have you posted 181 times since 15 Sep 2006 @ 18:38?
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/393632/2379208
If you click on the link in my profile for all the posts, you will see that all of them except one were "posted" in the News Comments forum. In other words, virtually all of my posts were made as comments in the Tech News part of the site, and not in the forum.

I've been posting comments here on Tech News for longer than that, and have posted more than just 181. But a while back the site did not require an account here to post a comment on the Tech News. You just typed in whatever "handle" you wanted and then enter a CAPTCHA code. I would venture to say that's how most of my comments were posted, especially in the earlier years here.

I used to frequent this site for video encoding, especially during the big VCD craze, so I suspect that I had to create the GernBlan account in order to download something from the forums. FYI, GernBlan is usually a "burner" ID that I use on websites that I have no intention of coming back to, so that should explain to you just how much I expected to participate on the forums since I didn't register my regular username.

also i was not doing any profanity as i did not spell out the whole word.
Seriously? That's what you're going with as a moderator? Do you realize the doors your opening with that one? Good luck.

7411.3.2014 14:19

if you have a problem with me then talk to site admin as i\we answer to them not to the members. no matter were you post on this site, you still have to follow forum rules so follow them as not a SFU problem but an OFU problem.

7511.3.2014 14:19

My,my...I only clicked on this thread because I noticed it has been "actively discussed" for multiple days, now. I come here for tech news and occasional discussion with entertaining and intellectual dialog. This thread is well below par for AD, and I have to wonder why the mods have allowed it to continue so long..Don't feed the troll, gents.

7611.3.2014 14:22

because i'm trying to tell a dense minded member to follow the rules without banning him.

7711.3.2014 14:35

Quote:
because i'm trying to tell a dense minded member to follow the rules without banning him.
I fear this is only feeding him. Best of luck, boss...I fear your patience is misplaced in this one (rare) instance.

7811.3.2014 14:43

i know but i still have the ban option.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive