1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I turn my lcd laptop monitor into a desktop monitor?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Brian0079, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Brian0079

Brian0079 Guest

Laptops old and out of order so here's the question, could I disamble the lcd screen and wiring to create a lcd monitor for my desktop.

I know it sounds crazy but what the hell sounds like a project to me.

J. Brian Ewing

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Yes its possible. You need to know how to solider though, and be very careful in removing the connection. The LCD screen is connected by a paper thin cable for most Comupter models. Easy thing for the pin assignment is to keep it connected and see how it runs into the video card. Or if possible (depends on age) remove the video card and adapt it as the display controler.

3. Brian0079

Brian0079 Guest

Thanks prisoner. I don't know how to solider but what better time to learn. If this project bombs I don't care, I'm currently unemployed and have some time on my hands.

So I have the screen disconnected. It is a very old model so there is video card is built on the mobo. I have two wire bundles (also I'm new to computers so I don't have the terminology down) one is for video output I assume, long two rows, orange-brown in color. The other is much shorter and runs to a circuit borad connected to the screen adjustments.

So what do you think? I'm an idiot right. Look I either spend my day doing this and trying to drum up freelance work or crawl into a bottle and wait for the end.

Thanks again Prisoner

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Sounds like fun. Any body who is willing to experiment and try something new is NOT an idiot.

Interesting, I was expecting two cables, one flat with lots of connections on it and might be orangeish brown. the other cable smaller linking to a power output on the mother board.

What is the model and namebrand of the old notebook?

5. Brian0079

Brian0079 Guest

Your right about the wiring. There is the one set with the a white harness of about 8 wires, the other an orangish brown harness of maybe thirty or forty wires.

I assume that the small white one which connects to the screen adjustments also supplies power? Yea or no?

The other would be all the actual image display jazz, right?

The laptop is a fujitsu lifebook 4350x.

Now out of my desk top monitor I obviously have two cords, one for power the other for connecting with the computer. Can we modify the wires of the old lcd to something similar?

6. Brian0079

Brian0079 Guest

Prisoner,

I was wrong, it's model number is 435Dx not 4350. I'm blind.

7. SIKER

SIKER Guest

I am actually doing the same exact thing just of yesterday and i am glad someone is allready talking about it.

I have a really old toshiba 440cdx monitor and i'm going to turn it into a all DOS screen. I have taken the whole thing apart and came across an interesting thing. There are 16 video wires leading out of the lcd panel, and 16 little teeth on one of those lcd to regular monitor converters.

I was wondering if any one new how to (if i can, and in what order) solider the 16 wires to the 16 teeth making it a workable dektop monitor.

Any replys would help.

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well standard D-sub is actually 15-pins. I am not sure about DVI connections but I think there 24-pins.

I am trying to figure out the pin assignment to correlate with notebooks. I know there is a seperate power line to act as back light for the monitor.

9. SIKER

SIKER Guest

there is a seperate power line, with a small chip attached to it wich i am guessing regulates the power to the panel or something ( i dun know) i'll figure it out later how to convert that if possible.

10. SIKER

SIKER Guest

oh man i just realized i made a mistake in previous post.

there are 20 pins in the converter and 20 wires out of the lcd.

there are 8 pairs so 16 wires put into pairs curled around eachother and 4 wires off by themselves.

also on the converter there are 16 pins and 4 more of to the side with one big pin in between them.

sorry

11. potatob

potatob Guest

12. wolfe135

wolfe135 Member

I am also trying to turn an old Toshiba Satellite Pro 415CS LCD screen into a monitor for my desktop computer. The only output from the screen is a 40-pin connector with very small wires that leads to the VGA Board in the notebook. From there, another connector with roughly 120-pins leads to the motherboard. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

13. hencharge

hencharge Guest

Hi, potatob, can you please clarify what the website you were trying to link to was? Because it isnt working in my browser. and HI everyone

14. keithboy

keithboy Guest

My dad use to own a computer store and he closed it about a year ago. I have about 15 laptops compaq's ibm's cheapo's and i have disassembled all the lcds i have the power all figured out. But i cannot figure how to wire the lcd. I was thinking about gettin a bread board at radio shack to start my prodject. Mind you i dont want to waste money on this. I was thinkin cuttin the vga cable off a old monitor. And figuring the pinout my only question is if i wire directly out of my video card on the desktop computer to the lcd itself should it display a picture. thank you for your time

15. ajudem7

ajudem7 Guest

Hi ya guys!
    I have taken out a Hitachi LMG5 200XT black n white LCD from an old Macintosh PowerBook 145 Laptop. It has a 26 Data Pins and 2 red wires which i think is for power. I would like to turn it into a desktop monitor or a TV screen. Please help thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  16. vinzul

vinzul Guest

hey i think this is pretty cool idea
    but after every ones done turing the laptops screen in to a desktop screen

how do you plan on keeping the screen up? and not only that put how do you plane on ajusting the screen?

usally when i change my display settings from 1074x768
    to 800x600 the screen needs to have small adjustmets
    to veiw proply

17. bork_8

bork_8 Member

i just pulled my old laptop apart. the model LCD display is N141X201 and the manufacturer is CHI MEI. I was wondering what needs to be done for me to either get the display working as a desktop monitor or working as a tv display...or both! is it hard to do? is it possible? anything would be great, thanks

18. DomSwitch

DomSwitch Guest

This Seems like a slow fourm so why not add my input, I am also intrested on entering this project and I am supried to see all the others who have engaged in this topic. I have a 1600x1200 resolution LCD screen off of a Dell Inspiron 8200 .. My 8200 is getting a little on the aged side.. and It is starting to make me a little unstatisfied with its perfomance (CS:S runs at 13-24 fps) So I'm building a desktop, but I dont want to buy a new monitor, I love this one and i havent seen any LCD that I'd want to replace it with. Plus this project sounds fun and original.. and what better to show off your new dektop with a monitor that you rigged yourself form your old laptop.. starting this may also start a trend of wanting to use other things from my aging laptop for my new desktop such as the keyboard or other components inside like the hard drive. I wan tto try to be original with things as much as I can and this seems like the perfect approach to something that I love to do.

19. GolChaw

GolChaw Guest

Hi..
    I am a newbie here.My head is brimming with some ideas..and want to know some practicalities to it.I want to turn my old notebook into a mini dvd-player/ mini TV for the bedroom. The pic quality is brilliant. even the sound cards are good.Can someone please tell me if thsi is possible..and what are the major things i shud look to..for making this a possibility.
    Thanks for reading this.. and wanting to help :).
    GolChaw

20. D.r.a.c.o

D.r.a.c.o Member

I'm throwing my hat into the ring here. My son has a project to do for his gifted class, and we're looking at taking the LCD from an old Toshiba t440 laptop and mounting it into the side of a case. The main thing of course is to figure out the wiring.