1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There doesn't appear to be enough space on the Disk to burn image

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jimdwill, Aug 4, 2004.

1. jimdwill

jimdwill Member

I am trying to back up my DVD Paul McCartney Back in the U.S using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter and getting Target size exceeded. DVD size too big. Ensure video is set to auto compression. The bar is showing 4360 mb green and 4907mb red. It is encoding through to the finish. DVD decrypter opens with message "There doesn't appear to be enough space on the disk to burn image". The burn fails with: I/O error...Device [1:0:0].....scsi status.....CDB:5300....Interpretation Invalid Fielding in CDB I am using 4.7 GB Princo DVD-r disks. Any help would be gratefully received

2. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

What are your system specs? Are you running out of hard drive space? (Even if you don't think you are, if you haven't emptied your recycle bin lately, you may be.) The more info you can give us, the better.

BTW occasionally I've run into a DVD that Shrink had problems with because of its size -- what I would do is run it through Shrink twice. The first time I'd shrink it to, say, 80% (and Shrink would give me a warning message telling me it wouldn't fit on a DVD-R) and then I would use Shrink's "open files" command, open those files, and shrink them again. The second time they would normally be shrunk enough to fit on one disc.

3. jimdene

jimdene Member

Thanks for the reply Karen.
    I have 18GB on both of my C: and D: drives and plenty of space. I assume you shrink to 80% by changing Automatic video to custom ratio and then adjust the slide bar, which I did. Encoding was completed, but when I went to open files to do a second run, I couldn't open the files because they were in ISO form. I opened up WIN rar and put the files into Video_TS folder and then tried to open Shrink with open files, but I received an error "Invalid data in D:\Video_TS\VTS_03_5.VOB. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong please

4. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

If you have an .iso file, you can still open it in Shrink by going to file / open disc image. (You must have shrunk in image (.iso) mode instead of in file mode.)

For your future reference, when using Shrink, if you want to end up with a video_ts folder full of files, after you click "backup," in "Select Target Device" you need to choose "Hard Disc Folder" and then tell Shrink where you want it to put the output folders (video_ts and audio_ts); if you want to end up with one large .iso file, in "Select Target Device" you choose "ISO disc image" and tell Shrink where you want it to put that one .iso file. Sounds like you have Shrink set up to do it the 2nd way. If you're going to burn with Decrypter, you DO want an .iso file since Decrypter won't burn video_ts folders.

In any case, as I said, all is not lost -- just "open disc image" and it should be fine. :)

5. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Just re-read your message and you said the fileS (plural) were in .iso form ... hmmm, did you end up with more than one .iso file for your DVD? You shouldn't have so I'm not sure what happened there. Please clarify.

To summarize -- after hitting "backup" in Shrink:
    - if "target device" is "Hard Disc Folder," you'll end up with a video_ts folder full of files and an empty audio_ts folder;
    - if "target device" is "ISO disc image," you'll end up with one large .iso file.

Both ways work fine -- it just depends on your needs (e.g. if you're burning with Decrypter, do an ISO disc image).

6. jimdene

jimdene Member

Many thanks Karen. I followed your advice, going to file/open disk image, the green bar was all green and completed the exercise with DVD Decrytpter just fine. Thank you once again for your kind help, keep up the good work

7. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Yay! Glad it worked. Keep us posted on your progress! :)

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If you go into Shrink's settings and set target size to 4.3gig(4300), Shrink should compress to that size the first time. That should save you from having to do it twice. Just a suggestion. As long as you get it to work one way or the other its the final results that count.
    Good luck.

Jerry

9. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Good suggestion about the file size -- I actually have mine set to that to keep the discs from burning all the way to the edge.

But I also HAVE run into a couple of discs that were so large Shrink couldn't compress them with just one go-through -- Shrink's compression % went just below 50% if I'm remembering correctly (maybe 48%?) and that was as low as Shrink would go but the original DVD still wouldn't all fit. So that's why I did the two run-throughs. I think others have used this procedure to put more than one movie on a disc (up to three I think!!). But that would require re-authoring, which I've never done.

10. jimdene

jimdene Member

Jerry, I have Edit/Preferences DVD Target size as custom and set to 4360MB all the time as per Uncle Scuba Pete's guide, is this what you mean, as I have had no problems before, this movie is the first that has given me trouble, and Karen's suggestion certainly worked.

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi jimdene. In most cases and using the better blank media, 4360 will work. But you are just about maxing out the blank media. I go for 4300 which will stop the burn before you get to the very edge of the disc which is where most problems can happen. With Ritek or Verbatium blanks you should be able to go for 4360.

Jerry

12. michigan

michigan Guest

Jerry is correct you may want to go down to 4300mb unless you really need the room. BTW very smart following ScubaPete's advice he won't ever steer you wrong.