1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now all member ranks are based on number of posts

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

As I got tired of listening people complaining, whining and generally being childish about the old system where Senior Member and AfterDawn Addict levels were based on hand-picks by admins, we changed the "promotion system" to be based solely on number of forum posts. However, if user got promoted to Addict or Senior level before this change, they wont get de-promoted even if they have posted less than the new limits require.

Summary: people complained to us (admins) about not picking people to higher ranks "when they obviously should have one" or "why this user has rank X and I don't" -- simply: we have 180,000+ members and got only couple of admins and handful of mods to take care of this, so the time is normally spent better by writing news, guides and moderating conversations rather than promoting anyone, etc.

But now, the new limits:

Newbie to Junior Member -- 25 posts
    Junior Member to Member -- 100 posts
    Member to Senior Member -- 500 posts
    Senior Member to Addict -- 2500 posts
    anyone to Moderator -- determination and bribes to admins
    anyone to Admin -- decent six-figure (euros or dollars, we are not picky) lump sum to AfterDawn's Swiss bank account

[bold]Update:[/bold]
    Posts made in the Safety valve are not taken into account when calculating member levels. Frivilous, repeated posts with the obvious intention of merely increasing the post count will lead to a temporary or permanent suspension of the account.

[bold]Update 2:[/bold]
    News comments do not count towards the member level either.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. michigan

michigan Guest

For the admin bump which side of the decimal point do the zeros go :)
    Lets just go back to no rankings at all. No muss no fuss. It's quality not quantity
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]emachines T1862, 1.8mhz, 762 ram, 60gig hdd, 10gig hdd, lite-on multiformat dvd, 1394 IEEE[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2004
  3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Wow, lots of members!
    It seems, however, that only maybe 0.05% post with any regularity.
    AD Addict would be a proper description for that many posts ;-)
    But thanks again for a great site, Petteri

4. brian100

brian100 Guest

I must admit I am taken aback by this new approach to the "Status" system. It may just be me, but to gain "elevation" by purely making "Idle banter" posts ( in some cases) seems unfair to the "true" Seniors & addicts that are on this forum. IE Drchips, Nephilim, Scubapete, Sophocles..to name but a few. Apologies to anyone I have ommited, I spend my time mainly on the DVD section & these dudes have helped me big time in the past..when I was a rampant lurker)

I would, personally, prefer the "status" system to be scrapped alltogether.

Remember, my statements above are purely my own opinion. They are not intended to insult any member on this forum.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Jacques & Martin's Blue & White Army.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2004
  5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yeah, but 500 posts seems like a lot (not to Dela :) so, as long as not 500 questions then WTF.
    Perhaps automatic Senior should be 1000 posts, but eligible for promotion at 500.
    Anyway, Da Boss is da man. He probably didn't change things hastily without considerations...
    L8R

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Is seems like there should something between the 500 and 2500 levels. Don't know what it should be called. Maybe Senior Level 2. Just something to show that they have been members longer than the rest of us or answered more questions. I just hope this doesn't lead to posts for no reason than boosting post counts like you get at the lower levels. Guess time will tell.

Jerry

7. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

It's a shame that the system had to change, I personally don't give a toss about status/rankings.

Brian100 does have a point with lurkers like me making it to senior or addicts, just by chatting on chat forums, etc. If people are worried about that, maybe those forums can be exempt from post counts? That should solve some of the problem.

I'd prefer no rankings at all, but that just isn't viable anymore with the size that the forum has become.

Thanks to Petteri for a great site, I'll keep in mind investing to your company, Hopefully it can avoid alot of the legality issues that are sure to arise sooner or later.

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Sorry you had to put up with the whining. I liked the old system better. Now I'm afraid that replys will start looking like "Get Shrink"." or some other short reply that does not require any thought on the subject, but will get their post count up with little effort.
    I would like to think that before I became a Senior, I would have handled replys in the same way, but it would have been there in the back of my mind everytime I logged in: More is Better. How would that have influnced my replys? What research would I skip so I could get to the next question. How much less helpful would my reply be? How much less would I know now?

I understand the reasons for this rule change, I just hope that the quality of help folks recieve here doesn't suffer. Everyone should keep their eyes open for people trying to up their post count.

The funny thing is I think I almost made enough posts in the "Just a test" thread to get me promoted from newbie to junior. Just trying to get the picture in my signature working!

Cheers,
    Frank

9. Xian

Xian Regular member

I have to agree with fasfrank. I think the number of junk posts and crossposts will go up just to hit the number required for next level. I have seen some posts in the past where users have stated that hitting the number required to raise status was their intention, to get rid of Newbie status or to go to the next level.

I know that it is impossible to please everyone, especially with the number of users on Afterdawn. Under the new system I wouldn't have the status that I have now, but I would like to think that I have earned the recognition for the quality of my posts, not the quantity.

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I did like the old system better than this new change. And with lots whining you could just send them wake up calls. What it says under you name should not effect you, I would like to see everyone demoted to User (except Mods, Admins and Bosses). But that might just me.

But with this new system wouldn't it be better to switch Senior member and Addict titles. It just symantics, but the title senior sound like they know some thing whereas Addicts just sound odd.

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Like Frank said, I think we are going to see a major increase in posting from this new system. I've noticed an increase already from members you never heard much from before. Multi posts in many threads in a row. But the rules are that way now so we have to live with it.

Jerry

12. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I guess I'd have to say that I don't really care what the title under my name says. I'd be perfectly happy to have everyone except mods and admin just be called users. Obviously there are a lot of people who disagree with that, but with 180,000 members you'd have a hard time finding anything we could get a majority to agree on. Either way, it's not my decision, and given the number of people complaining about it I might have not have made a different one.

The question I think it brings up is whether there will be enough change in people's posting habits to require more mods to keep the garbage posts down. Since the system hasn't been in place all that long, I can't fairly evaluate it, but my suspicion is that it will. On the other hand, with the way AD's userbase is growing we were bound to need them eventually, and you could probably argue that we should have a couple more now just on general principle for when we have mods who don't have time to do much here for whatever reason. I guess only time will tell.

13. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

well i got a rant abuot the new rules... how did i became Senior Member?... is it by the new rules or i just got picked? lol...

14. andmerr

andmerr Guest

scrap this crap , put it back to they way it was and forget about the whining?

Sick of this politics thats being going on laterly .Drd
    its your site do what suits you not what suits everyone else but maybe with:

quote: we have 180,000+ members and got only couple of admins and handful of mods to take care of this

you might consider going along the same lines as submissions and charge the members $25 ,well theres $4500000 (think i got the right amount of zeros) that could be used for the betterment of the site etc

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

dRD,

I'm sorry but I have to go against the logic of the post count. I do believe that the count will go up in not the in just the idle banter forums but in the multi-post category also. As to the latter, I've seen more multi-posting in the Newbies Forum in the past few days than ever in the entire time I've been in aD.

I'm for either putting it back to the way it was OR, as it's been suggested, let's all go back to being members.

Before, everyone was handpicked to the Senior level or the Addict level. There have been complaints, of that, nobody is denying and we all are sorry for but, in the end, everyone did see that the right choices were made. The way it is now, people will go to "chat forum" OR a testing thread and check their sig's 25oo times. I know it sounds extreme but there will be those that would do just that -

To be raised to a "higher" level simply by numbers will hurt more than it will help. Those who become Seniors or Addicts but have no experience will be those to whom new people will look to for their answers while those who post quality responses (always longer and generally researched) will soon feel the necessity to shorten their post. Research will be tossed by the wayside, just to "keep up". Who will benefit ?

Your "numbers" won't be affected one way or the other if you maintain a forum where "Newbies" can get a quality answer for their problems. What would be the harm ? A place where being a prolific typist can put you into "Hierarchy" in no time, doing nothing more than BS'ing OR accumulating numbers and posting meaningless "Yeps"or "Nopes" on every thread OR, a friendly place where quality answers can be had and where everyone is equal.

I wish you would reconsider.

As for me, I'll put my accolade on the block; it shouldn't be about numbers. The fact I've achieved the "Addict" level from just my numbers has lost it's meaning – I worked hard to provide quality posts, to what end ?

If it's only about numbers you may have mine, make me a member.

Pete

16. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If member status is going to be determined solely by number perhaps forums like test threads and safety valve should be excluded from post counts to prevent minimize some of the issues ScubaPete pointed out.

17. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

There will be some more changes to the member level / forum status in the future, but they will take some time to implement.

We might for instance implement a voting system that would give the users to award points to posts or users based on the usefullness (or other criteria), and display that somehow. And/or we could bring out highly respected users in some way similar to senior/addict member level.

18. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

that aint so bad idea ^_^ im for it :)

19. michigan

michigan Guest

I agree with everything scubapete said.
    You can have my numbers too. I stay here to help people out like I was helped and because every once and a while it gets really fun. However the double postings are getting nuts, there was one in the DVD forums that was posted six damn times. If that doesn't "pad" your post count I don't know what does. I'm in the no titles camp or everones a member except the admins/mods. As a matter of fact let me go back to pre newbie status and make me a clueless noob because I learn stuff on this site everyday that I am here.

This is a great site and I really enjoy it kudos to DRD, the Admins, and the Mods keep up the good work it is appreciated by some if not all.

I've had my say now, and yes I feel better.

20. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Double posting will be more than frowned upon. Please use the "report offensive post" -link to report double posts.

Do you seriously think that people that double post will ever live to have 500 posts? Or even 100 for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.