1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we make reading Forum Rules mandatory for Newbies ?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by ScubaPete, Nov 18, 2004.

1. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

As has been discussed from time to time, "Is there a way to make reading Forum Rules mandatory for Newbies ?"

THE TOPIC:
    We'd like for pple to come to aD BUT we'd like for them to abide by the forum's rules. How may this be accomplished ?

WHY DISCUSS THIS NOW ?
    Even with dRD's "READ THIS NOW: Forum Rules" displayed at the top of every forum as prominently as possible, It is more than obvious, extremely few pple "search" the forum for answers before posting. Double, triple and quadruple posting is common, as is the posting of Email addresses and links to business sites in sigs.

Will the mandatory reading of the rules turn pple away ?

Is there a way by which reading our rules could be made palatable ?

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

Its a good point ScubaPete, but i dont think they are going to read the rules howeva you try and force them to.

How many times have you just accepted say a licence agreement without reading all of it. Im sure most people do.

But it might be possible to add in the Signup form, the rules of the forum that they have to tick.

It might help and it might not.

But i do see your point.

I have seen alot of people breaking rules etc and its quite annoying to see. Espcially posting of email addreeses, i have seen a Mod warn people, several times, and people keep posting, then starts banning and they still continue to post....

I even thought of the fact of making them check a box before posting, but stil, people are just going to tick it and post without even reading anything.

CJC

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Well, that was my suggestion in the other thread, and even if they do just check the box and don't read them, they can't use that as an excuse because they checked it saying they read the rules.

You are right tho, I myself have checked many license agreements instead of reading them, but we are talking about 2 minutes of reading compared to 15 or twenty with those things.

I don't know that there is a solution, but at least if they have it to check before they can join, you won't get any more "sorry, I didn't know"s.

4. CJC

CJC Regular member

You will still get 'Sorry i didnt know' some people are just plain stupid somtimes.

Possibly if the rules were basically short and sweet.

Not really long, in say point form, easy to read, people might read it.

Im not sure, it wont work 100% but it might be a start...

CJC

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

some people are just plain stupid somtimes.

With those people there is no solution, but just a step in the right direction with others may help, who knows?

As I said, there is probably no sure fire solution to the problem anyway,but if you can reduce it at all, it will help :>)

6. CJC

CJC Regular member