1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NERO turns the VCD picture upside-down!?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Bonusbent, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Bonusbent

Bonusbent Guest

Creating the VCD (or SVCD for that matter) with Nero 5.5 including the MPEG-2/SVCD plug in, is working all right, and when I put it in my DVD (a PHILIPS 722) it "works", but the picture is upside-down and it’s mirrored?

Why? Anybody who could help me please? It’s pretty irritating having to flip my TV and watch the movie through a mirror for it to look just a little normal… :(

2. Rodgers

Rodgers Guest

I have asked this same question on this Forum for a couple of weeks now, however I have not received a response that would solve the problem. The upside down situation only occurs rarely, but it happens with my SVCD of Pinocchio and The Godfather series.

I would like to solve this for posterity!

Rodgers

3. Bonusbent

Bonusbent Guest

okay... I found out that it apparently only happens when I use NERO to convert the movie (in this case 8Mile) from *.avi to *.mpg… If I use another program to convert the movie it works fine when I then burn it with NERO afterwards, but it would be much easier if NERO would do both…? :( I haven’t tried to convert other than 8Mile with NERO so maybe your right it only happens sometimes...

4. Rodgers

Rodgers Guest

Nero does both for me, but as previously mentioned on rare occassions I get something upside down. Perhaps Charlie Chan can solve this one!

Rodgers

5. robwau

robwau Member

Ok. I have exactly the same problem. Thanks!
    So when I use another program then Nero it will work?
    Which one did you use and which program did you convert your .avi with??

Hope to hear from you. I'm desperate...

Robwau

6. Bonusbent

Bonusbent Guest

I used NTI CD-Maker, which I actually downloaded from this site:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/nti_cd_dvd_maker.cfm

First I converted it from AVI to MPG with NTI CD-Maker and then used NERO to burn the movie as I had difficulties with using NTI CD-Maker for that part… Then there was no problem…

I suppose that NTI CD-Maker could do both but my comp had some problems I think… :(

The only bad part is that it can only convert to mpeg (VCD) and NOT mpeg2 (SVCD) unless you get a plug-in which I unfortunately can’t find…

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2004
  7. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

When NASA discovered that pens would not work in space, they spent $5,000,000 on research and development and 15,000 man hours into one that would work. Their result was a pen that wrote under water and was also able to write upside and in zero gravity. When the Russian Space Agency was confronted witht the same problem they simply used a pencil.

My advice :

Turn your monitor/TV upside down.

Paul.

8. Rodgers

Rodgers Guest

Paul,
    That solution you offered has been tried by many. Do you think we should leave it at that, or perhaps some guru on here can come up with a real solution. Aren't you interested in finding the cause?

Rodgers

9. Bonusbent

Bonusbent Guest

Thanks Paul, I’ll try that… - or not...

10. loaded

the reason of my sarcasm is that this has been covered before. Lets all say together now:

"Nero is crap for conversion."

Once you have that in mind, download TMPGenc (if you don't already have it) and use that for your MPEG conversion.

You can use Nero for converting into .mpg, but as has been stated on this site more times than I care to mention, it is crap.

The argument for using it is not valid. Nero is burning software not coding software. TMPGEnc WILL encode SVCD for the first 30 days and after that you will have to buy a serial number to allow it permanently.

Oh and yes, we have heard that there are work arounds and cracks for TMPGEnc, which mean you don't have to pay for it, but any talk of that on this site and there will be trouble.

Good luck guys.

Paul.

11. Rodgers

Rodgers Guest

Paul,

You finally came up with a legitamate explanation. Whether or not this has been repeated many times in the past, remember some of us are new to this site and are not aware of the history you mention. I like your answer here and will take your suggestion and put it into operation. Thanks for your patience.

Rodgers

12. Bonusbent

Bonusbent Guest

Yes I have tried TMPGenc, but I’m sorry to say that I’m to stupid to figure out how it works... :( Too many things you have to configure (like size and so) before you can convert it into something, which is compatible with the VCD format... But I really don’t know much about it and maybe I’m doing it more difficult than I really is?? :(

And I know that it have been discussed before, but I didn’t find a real answer – maybe I should give up on NERO and try some other program like you suggest...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2003
  13. robwau

robwau Member

Thanks all for your advise! I appreciate it a lot!
    But I agree with Bonusbent here. When I'm using Tempgenc with an .avi file of 717 Mb, Tempgen is turning it in a enormous file 3 Gb. Ofcourse I receive a message that this file doesn't fit a cd.

Any suggestions?

14. loaded

OK guys, many questions and I am afraid that I am drunk. Yes it is Wednesday and I am drunk. I have enough conscience to make this thread noticeable tomorrow morning, when I will try to help you.

The bosses here don't like drunk posters, especially when they are mods!

Paul.

15. Rodgers

Rodgers Guest

Paul,

Thanks for your advice. I encoded the problem videos with TMPGenc Plus and then did the burning with Nero as you have suggested. The SVCD modifications came out perfect. For posterity the issue of "Upside-Down" videos has been solved. I hope the others have been following these threads so this procedure can be etched in concrete.

Best to All,
    Rodgers

16. robwau

robwau Member

Paul,

Hangover?
    Do you know what I've done wrong? I want to convert a 350 Mb .avi file to mpeg (I've already splitted the avi) but the mpeg turns out to be 1.5 Gb. How can I get this thing smaller?

Thanks.

17. Taurolyon

Taurolyon Guest

Ok guys 'n gals...

We seem to be having a simple problem with NERO converting AVI files to MPG for VCD/SVCD creation.

Problem:
    NERO creates MPEG videos with images upside-down and mirrored...

Solution:
    Don't use NERO to convert files... Use something else...
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/conversionguides.htm
    This page lists 2 programs, TMPGEnc and DVD2SVCD. It goes through the process step-by-step and also includes some methods of insuring you will get an excellent quality MPEG file.

Problem:
    Don't know how to use a file encoder/re-encoder like TMPGEnc.

Solution:
    RTFM!!! (Read The Freaking Manual!)
    Found here: http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/avi2svcd.htm
    or do a search on Google: AVI to MPG conversion.

With enough research, I'm sure you'll figure out how to do it yourself.

Problem:
    Re-encoding AVI files to MPG gives me a HUGE file that won't fit on a VCD!

Solution:
    Download a file calculator that will calculate the video bitrate that would create a smaller file.
    I'd suggest MaD's DVD Bitrate calculator. http://maddvd.cjb.net
    Example, a 120 minute movie with a 320Kbps audio bitrate would need to be encoded at 476Kbps video bitrate to be 700MB in size.

18. loaded

OK, OK hold your horses everybody. Lets make this simple:

1 : No I don't have a hangover.

2 : If you really must convert an avi file into mpg file then use TMPGenc, not Nero.

3 : If the file ends up being big (VCD compliant mpgs are about 10 MB per minute) then use MPEG tools in TMPGEnc to cut (under the merge and cut tab)

4 : Even though I have made some comments which have got some of you annoyed this is because :

4a : I am often answering this question and a search of articles and guides should offer explanations from previous users [although I admit our forums are getting extremely large ;-)]

4b : I only have so much time in the day

4c : Much of this could have been figured out using a little common sense , ie ROBWAU, when you see what I mean about the cut and merge tab, you will think, god, why didn't I look there!!!

I have now made this thread sticky, so people should be able to see it immediately when they go to this forum.

Paul (OK, well a little bit of a hangover!)

:)

19. felixau

felixau Guest

have had this prob from time to time and for about a month was tearing my hair out.
    generally check the codes that the file was created with (wmp is good for this) if you have the right ones loaded and still does it,then try encoding with tmpeg first and then burning with nero. new version5.5.10.7 has worked a treat for me .
    also i have found it pays to burn straight from the folder it was downloaded to before you relocate the file (dont ask me why but this has saved me lots of headaches). good luck

20. robwau

robwau Member

OK. I've already tried to convert with tmpgenc and yes, I've read tons of manuals. And yes, I know how to cut the .avi to get it smaller. But there must be an reason why my avi gets almost 5 times bigger than it was. When I have to solve this problem with cutting I'll end up with a movie of 5 minutes.
    I will try to convert later today and will keep you up to date about my desperate moves.
    :)