1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

softmod??? :

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by 3085, Aug 15, 2005.

1. 3085

3085 Regular member

i started reading on the internet about softmodding an xbox but i cant find out what it really is and what it does could someone please tell me thx!

p.s sry if this has been answered bfor but i couldnt find it

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  2. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Softmods for Xbox include a font exploit installed through exploits in savegame code for MechAssault, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, and 007: Agent Under Fire which allows an additional option to be added to the Xbox Dashboard, usually for booting Linux. The Font-hack works by hiding Xbox executable code in the Xbox fonts which are loaded at start up. However, since the Xbox boots up require precise timing from all parts of the system, from DVD-ROM drive spin-up time, down to the RAM, and since the hardware clock time is saved using a capacitor instead of a battery, when the capacitor runs dry, and the clock time is lost, the boot order is changed, and users experience a clock-loop where the Xbox loops, continually rebooting until the timing is fixed enough so that the user can enter in the correct time, and continue the boot up process normally.

The lastest font exploit, named Über Xbe Exploit (UXE) does not suffer from the clock loop.

An alternative to font-hacks are audio hacks, which do not cause the afore mentioned clock-loop problem. The audio hack works similarly to the font hack, by hiding executable code in an audio file that triggers a file to be hidden somewhere on the Xbox hard disk to kill the dashboard, and boot up alternative code. However, there are rumors that certain audio hacks may cause the custom sound track function in some Xbox games to no longer be usable, and there are rumors to the contrary.

Other uses for softmodding often include outright replacement of the Microsoft Dashboard and replaced with other dashboards, including UnleashX and EvoX. Since the overall boot system is changed, and the audio files remain untouched, the Xbox is neither plagued with the clock-loop problem, nor are custom soundtracks disabled. However, Microsoft is more easily able to detect such softmodding and is able to more easily ban user's Xboxes (not their accounts) from Xbox Live. This method is usually accomplished through the same exploits used to install the font hack.

All softmodding of Xboxes is considered a violation of warantee and runs the risk of rendering an Xbox almost unusable, if not performed properly. There are still lingering questions of legality.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2005
  3. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

try this site http://xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1192.nfo tells how to insatll best new way to mod it lets u copy games to the hdd and play burnt games just google SID 2.0 dont get 3.0 its not a newbie way to do it i still use 2.0