1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using bxStream to share files over network

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by rottie34, Aug 18, 2005.

1. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  2. rottie34

rottie34 Member

there has to be at least one person who knows how to use this?

3. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Do you have XBMC (Xbox Media Center)??

4. rottie34

rottie34 Member

yes.... it's the configutation that is confusing me. the directions are unclear....

5. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

I think in the early part of modding XBMP served a purpose but as modding evolved, XBMC kinda took over. You might want to download the latest version of XBMC, install it and see how it treats you.

What's exactly is unclear to you about XBMC (maybe I can help)...because between the two, XBMC is way better?

6. rottie34

rottie34 Member

well, i thought bxStream allowed you to share media over the network? My ultimate goal is to be able to listen to my mp3s from my computer, over the network on the xbox...

7. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

XBMC will let you do that. All u have to do is create a home Network.

8. rottie34

rottie34 Member

a home network as in workgroup? what settings and where do u configure this in xbmc?? i think i could do this with ur help...

9. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

You don't. And yes, a Workgroup. Once you Workgroup is set up on your main PC, restart it of course for the settings to take place. Go to the drive/folder on your PC you want your xbox to be able to access and set it to be shared. Once it's fired up and ready to go, plug your xbox into your router and turn it on. Open up XBMC. Go to My Files...you should see All your drives, C, F, E, etc. A little further down YOU SHOULD SEE workgroups(SMB), CLICK ON IT. From there it should be a bunch of one option/one clickers. Probably will be your Workgroup's name, then your PC's name, then you'll see whatever drives you've enabled as shared on your PC. That's it.

10. rottie34

rottie34 Member

don't u have to use server software such as Relax or something to share?

11. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Nope. Say you have multiple hdd's in your PC. Your second one is storage.
    Go to My Computer ->
    Right Click oon the Drive -> We'll call it X:Drive
    Click Properties ->
    Click on the Sharing Tab ->
    Click on the Disclaimer about understanding sharing ->
    In the Network Sharing & Security Area Click
    Share this folder on a Network
    Name it won't you wan;t but don't make it too long (i.e. Movies) would be fine
    Decide if you want other users to be able to change files across your Network/Workgroup
    Once done, click o.k.

But like I said, take care of all of that before you even turn on your xbox.

12. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

What is Relax...never heard of that. As long as you're using XP, everything is built in that you need. I think 2000 is the same. not too sure about anything prior.

13. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Relax is an xStream server:

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_howto.htm

I click on SMB Network Share in XBMC, anf it says network is not connected. Also, I created a workgroup and set shares on the PC... I wonder why it won't recognize?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  14. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Ok, I got the XBMC to allow me to click on SMB SHARE but when I do it pulls it up and says access denied and invalid computer name.

15. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

It should be a category called WORKGROUPS (SMB)within XBMC.

Did you restart the PC after you set up what drives/folders to share on your Network?

If not, restart your PX & Xbox...then try it again.

Yeah, I have that tutorial but there is not setup procedures "that I know of" which need to be done in XBMC. I have quite a few movies in my PC and I view them throughout my house on my Network and to be truthful my Network/Workgroup now has existed for a little over 2 years, nothing changed. I modded my newest box with the X3 CE a few weeks after it released and plugged it right up and it recognized everything my PC shared.

Did you do a fresh set up of yur Network or have you had it for a while?

16. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

DO THIS:
    *Turn off you xbox
    *The folder in your PC that you are sharing and want your xbox to see...take away the sharing properties (very important)
    *Now redo your Workgroup setup and make sure the name is different from your previous one (also important)
    *It should prompt you to restart once it's done
    *Once your PC reboots, go back in and share the folder/drives(s) you want your xbox to access
    *Turn on your xbox and navigate through to that folder/drive again and you should have access

17. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Do I have to modify the XboxMediaCenter.XML file with my PC's IP address? I mean how will it know who its's "talking" to without some kind of configuration on the Xbox end. I keep getting the access denied on the SMB network shares in the XBMC and I restarted and re-did all network setup.

18. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Oh, for some reason I thought you had FTP capability. Are you using a router? If so, go to your xbox's settings. You'll access them off of your main screen.

Find the network settiings. If you're using a router set the setting to DHCP. Restat the xbox and all should be good.

If you're not using a router...first thing you're gonna need is a crossover cable.

19. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Hey man,

Here's the story...

I have a switch (hub) on the way from newegg... should be here in a few days... Until then I have to unplug my cable modem,plug in my crossover cable, set the static IP, then FTP in to check for connectivity. This is kind of a pain, I can't wait to get the switch, then I can use DHCP. So, with this is mind, do you have any ideas?

I really appreciate u taking the time to try and help me! Thx

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  20. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

No problem...that's why I'm here.

If I were you, I'd wait until your hub arrives. It would be so much easier. REALLY. Almost as easy as plug and play since your Workgroup has already been established. If you're willing to wait, just let me know when it comes in and I'll help if where I can if you run into problems. I think we'd both prevent a copuple of grey hairs that way. LOL!

It could be done with your crossover as well. As long as you check for a connection once you have everything set up and your workgroup still exists, you shouldn't have problems.