1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need some help.. dvd-9 to dvd-5

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by swy000, Nov 9, 2005.

1. swy000

swy000 Member

hey,

i need some help with an issue.
    I have a dvd-9 (more particularly an 8.5GB disc), and i wanna put it on two dvd-5's (more exactly 4.7GB disc) [bold] and KEEP the menus![/bold].

Does anyone have any good ideas or links.... ?

Sam

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Use DVD Shrink to put the entire disc, including menus onto 1 DVD5. If you insist on 2 discs then the original DVDXCopy did this without compression but not sure if you can still get the software now since 321 studios were sued and closed.

3. swy000

swy000 Member

DVD shrink is a good idea... i had attempted to put it on two dvd's with that software, but menus got toasted :D..

but i will try to put them on 1 DVD. However, i must ask you about the quality i will be getting, since the movies have already been compresssed a bit... (i think it was at 73% when i opened the movies in dvd shrink...).... what do u think?

thnx...

4. swy000

swy000 Member

and one more thing...

I looked into the dvd. It has 20 simpsons episodes, that are chosen with 5 menu screens.... total size is about 6.5GB and i wanna basically try and put them on 2 DVD's of 4.7GB size and KEEP the menus...

hope this was better :D

5. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

You can use DVDShrink in Re Author mode, select the files you want for 1 DVD....burn them and then do process again and select remaining files and then burn those, its a long way round but should work.

6. swy000

swy000 Member

yup ur right... i tried that, i got 2 full dvd's with all the episodes which worked just fine.. PROBLEM was however, that i couldnt keep the menus.... How do i keep the menus?
    In re-authoring in DVD Shrink, once u drap and drop the menu, they say that u cant keep the menu's and that they will be played as separate frames...

7. swy000

swy000 Member

i just noticed another thing...

there are 20 .ifo files.. which means each episode has is already on its own ifo and vob.

could that be of any help?

8. Discmania

Discmania Active member

The compression rate is 100 - 73 = 27% (not 73%) and this is perfectly fine for potting everything on 1 disc. You will hardly notice any difference in quality.

9. swy000

swy000 Member

thanx for that... i didnt know that...
    my real problem is the menus however, and me keeping them..im trying to define new ones with dvdlab pro, but its taking some time and im having troubles with subtitles..i made a tiny post in the subtitle forum..hope i get some help there....

10. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Just use the backup full disc option in Shrink and all menus and extras go onto one disc.

11. swy000

swy000 Member

ur right...
    im trying to do that, but for some reason i cant decrease the percentage.. if i enter a new percentage where im supposed to in the "Custom Compression", the size does not decrease. It is as if the person who had had done the video authoring b4 locked it or smthn.. unless im doing it wrong.. :s.. anyways, i posted 2 pictures, one is as soon as i open dvd shrink and the other is when i try to change the compression...

Pic1
    this is as soon as i open dvd shrink... its 73.3 when it opened and i guess what ur trying to tell me is to decrease that.. correct?
    [​IMG]

Pic2
    i tried to change the percentage but nothing change... and even the horizantal scroll bar doesnt move..as soon as i click on it, it jumps back to 73.3...
    [​IMG]

Please advise if their is any way to get over that, and thnx alot!

12. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You don'r need to decrease the percentage or do anything. After Shrink has scanned the disc it shows you what files there are. The compression ration is perfectly fine. Just click on 'backup' then check that 'analasys' is allowed in the pop-up box and away you go. Make sure you put a blank disc in your burner and Shrink will even burn the disc for you.

13. swy000

swy000 Member

ok, this is wat im currently trying...

you see pic1 up there?

well i just clicked backup, and the window popped up, and i put analysis and all..and its running.... got about 3 more hours and i will report back here....

but one thing i gotta check... Pic1 shows the bar green up to 4464 and then red up to 5097... doesnt that mean the end size is gonna be more than one could fit on one dvd??

14. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You need to reset the video box above where the compresssion percentage is showing to 'Automatic' and not 'custom'. Then when Shrink analyses the disc it will automatically show the compression rate to fit onto one disc and there will be no red area. Then click backup to go ahead for full disc.

15. swy000

swy000 Member

hey...

im not home right now, but luckily i have the same cd with me.. so i put it inside and opened dvd shrink (luckily with me as well).. i tried that because i was pretty sure that at automatic also, i still get the red region... the first picture is below is at automatic and then i directly press back up... the 2nd picture(pic4) shows the error i recieve...

Pic3
    [​IMG]

Pic4
    this is the oversizse message i get as soon as i click backup..
    [​IMG]

16. swy000

swy000 Member

hi..

well i got back home and it was complete..nearly the size, but not quite... :s.. sorry im posting so many pictures but im gonna show u how it came out.. lemme know wat to do next if u have anyt suggestions...

Pic5
    This just displays the primary size of the dvd that is inside my dvd player...
    [​IMG]

Pic6
    This shows the new size of the file created by Dvd Shrink
    [​IMG]

Pic7
    and this final picture shows the output window i got when dvd shrink had completed it LONG quest of shrinking i guess...
    [​IMG]

thnx for ur time..i feel like i should be paying u :p

17. swy000

swy000 Member

ok, last nite i look at the 5050MB and i complied them into one ISO... i got around 4.68GB... so thats pretty close to a single layered dvd size. I tried to burn it with nero and it said that the safe size is 4500MB. I switched to overburn but i think ill be pushing my luck near the end of the disk with such a burn, and my disc and burner might both run into problems...

maybe run dvd shrink on the new size again???? :s ive never tried such a thing though.. any suggestions????

18. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Try the reauthoring option in shrink and leave the 'extras' file out - you will still retain the menus. It does look as though Shrink is not working properly anyway as it always shrinks to correct size for one disc normally. You could try uninstalling and reinstalling it first.

19. swy000

swy000 Member

i will try to uninstall and reinstall, but i have to tell you that the extras (which are size nearly 1.5GB) contain about 7 epidosdes themselves... :S.. so thats a "no no"... i cant remove them... the disc im using has been authored already and the person who worked on it put around 18 eiposdes in the "Main Movie" part and about 8 episodes in "Extras" part.....

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  20. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Go here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/256436 -- yep, I wrote that guide just for Newbies. It will encode/compress any DVD9 into a DVD5 easily. Just follow it steps by steps and you should be happy in the end.

However, if you come across certain DVD(s) that DVD Decrypter can not rip into your hard drive, then I highly suggest you to get DVDFab Decrypter (free) and AnyDVD (retail, but there's 21 days free to try.)

Enjoyed it and happy burning..!!