1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot recognize Toshiba DVD Burner SD-R6012

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bheeku, Apr 7, 2003.

1. bheeku

bheeku Member

Hi All,

Did anyone encounter the same problem.
    I got a new toshiba laptop satellite 5205-s703, with a DVD burner Toshiba SD-R6012, with Win XP Pro, SP1.

I downloaded the DVDXCOPY software to make a backup copy of a movie. I started the software. The software copied the entire movie to my hard disk. When it started the writing procedure, it said "CANNOT FIND ANY DVD BURNER"

Looks like this software is not recognizing my dvd burner.

What do I need to do? Do I any additional hardware? Software? Firmware, etc.

Pl.help. Thanks in advance!

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hello
    I have same burner and Similar notebook (2450 Satellite). DVDXCOPY does not reconize our burners! It was suposed to be supported in the new version 1.5 but it is NOT. You have two options 1. download the demo version of Nero from there website, install it and under the advaced options tab select Nero ( you will see it some ware). The can be a pain and you have to update Nero as the demo expires at the end of every month or buy a copy. Option 2 is if you have the same notebook as mine it should have come with a program called DragN'Drop. This program allows to make Data discs that are Disc at once Capped ( my slang for closed disc). This is good, but how to do this is little tricky. After coping the disc with DVDXCOPY you will get the error, then go to C:/Documents and Settings/ your computer Name/ local settings/Temp/DVDXCOPY In this folder you will see two folders and a text file. These are the files you need to burn to a disc, so move them some ware else. Because when you close DVDXCOPY these files are erased if left there. After moving the files, closing all programs opening DragN'Drop and draging the files there. The burn data DVD disc will work on almost any DVD player depending on the DVD-R or DVD-RW you use.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2003
  3. bheeku

bheeku Member

Thanks for all the information. I have been struggling on this for a week now. You reply made me very happy!!

Were you able to successfully burn DVD movies with this 'Nero' software?

or Did you try any other DVD burning software which works with our laptops?

Do you recommend any firmware updates? Also, please write to me about how I can check the firmware version.

Any other info, sincerely appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.
    Bheeku

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hello
    With the March version of Nero (5.5.10.15a) It worked, I have not tried the April free version (5.5.10.20) but I can't see it not working. The interface for this is really nice and I have used it to burn other DVD-RW and it's worked fine but I haven't tried it in DVDXCopy.
    I do fine that Dragn'Drop is best if your notebook came with it. The only place I have been able to find out the firmware is in the settings pannel in Dragn' Drop. If you bought your notebook from Feb to now should be version 1332. If bought eariler I don't know.
    Why do you want to know what firmware version? If you are planning on using the X332 or XS32 firmware patches to remove the region codes BE VERY CAREFUL on instal. Most people have mentioned that the remove all the region code dependies but can no longer burn to DVD or CD. This is a very expensive way to get a region free drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2003
  5. texastray

texastray Member

I have a similar laptop, satellite 2455-s305. I have wasted a lot of money on blamk dvds trying to burn one. I have used every software available to burn to no avail. When I burn the files are burned, but a "dvd" is not created in that my computer nor my dvd player will play anything. Please help.

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

texastray
    I don`t understand your problem, Does the disc finish burning with out any errors but when you try to play it in a DVD player it fails. And are you saying it will not play on a computer DVD decoder program like WinDVD4 or Realplayer. If it will play on the computer but not the DVD player then the problem is how you are burning the disc. The files need to be added to the disc using a Disc at once. Most programs use Track at once, which is good for you computer but unless your DVD player can read DVD-R and DVD-RW, it will not be playable. By the way a DVD-RW will play on a DVD player that can`t read DVD-RW IFF you use Disc at once and you Dvd player is not a cheap one. If you can`t read the DVD on either your computer or a DVD player then, I don`t know I have never seen that. Even discs I have screwed up still play on my computer (not fully complete in burning).
    Hope this helps.

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

8. bheeku

bheeku Member

Prisoner thanks for the info.

I was successfully able to burn a DVD movie yesterday. I copied using DVDXCOPY. Moved the files from the Temp directory and burnt using DragnDropCD.

Though, my computer was not able to play the burnt DVD, my DVD player which is what I want.

I will have to try some Encrypted Movie DVDs and see if this works.

Did you luck burning Encrypted Movie DVDs also with this process?

Looks like, herbsman has a lot of info too. Thanks!

9. herbsman

I've not had too many problems with encrypted DVD's as Smartripper has only failed on 2 for me. That's out of 70 (or so) successes.

!: )-~

10. bxj5870

bxj5870 Member

Hey all the Toshiba DVD Burner SD-R6012 users, I have got a dumb problem. The DVD burner doesnt seem to recognize the blank DVDs. So far I have used Verbatim and Fuji DVD R but both haven't been recozined. I just want to know which blank DVD you all have been using.

11. herbsman

What burning software exactly is not reading your burner ?

More info needed...

12. texastray

texastray Member

make sure you are using dvd-r and not dvd+r. I had the same problem at first. My TDK dvd-r work fine.

13. herbsman

: )

I take it 'all is good' in the backing up DVD-R department now texastray..?

14. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

bxj5870
    I know this is an tough question but are you using +R in a -RW drive?
    If not this would be the first time I have heard Verbatim not working. These from what I have heard are the ideal discs to use with our dive. It is still possible to get a bad one, QC is only 98% effective so you may have been the lucky 2%.
    The discs I have used are Princo (never again over 50% error), Legacy ( only one bad disc to date) and Ritek 2X thermal and shinny. This made me remeber for DVD-R we can only use version 2 and up or 2X and up and for DVD-RW we can only use version 1.1 and up. Lower speed discs will not work and if they do you are lucky. That could be your problem too.

15. slurpee98

slurpee98 Member

bxj5870, I've had the same problem. Verbatim and Memorex v1.1 DVD-RW discs. Had the DVD+RV verbatim discs at first. I've tried two correct brands and no matter a full version of nero 5.5.10.20, incd, or anything else, it doesn't recognize the blank media. I'm running a totally up to date win xp home on a toshiba 5205-s703. It plays dvd's fine. Reads CDs fine. I'd like to start using this hardware for backups soon. Anybody have a clue on my problem?

16. bxj5870

bxj5870 Member

Hey thanks all of you. I was like a fool using DVD+R instead of DVD-R. Now another problem. How are you all splitting the DVD files. It looks like the many of the DVD's that I have come across are around 7.5G but the blank DVD's are only 4.7G.

17. herbsman

Uh-oh!
    We have a super-newb on our hands...
    LOL

[bold]You will need these pieces of software:
    [/bold]
    Smartripper 2.41 (free d/l on this site)
    DVD Shrink (free d/l on this site)
    Nero

Smartripper because you need to play to unlock files...open Smartripper and rip/unencrypt.

DVD Shrink or DVD2One to compress DVD-9 (dual layered disc over 4.36Gb down to fit on a DVD-R/RW)

Nero to burn.

1 hour 45 minutes & you got a quality back up

[bold]herb ! : )- [/bold]

18. herbsman

There are plenty of step by step guides in this forum...they just need looking for.

[bold]loaded[/bold] has provided a very useful guide on DVD2One usage for instance.

19. mike71581

mike71581 Member

I just got the Toshiba 5205-S703 with DVD Burner (model #SD-R6012). I know it takes DVD-R discs but have read varying reports of there success. Does anyone know what disc brand for sure works with this model & drive? Also this laptop came with Drag & Drop software...can I use this software to create a data cd? It also came with Pasonic Movie create but i believe that's only for making edited movies. I just want to back up data as well as copy DVD's. Can I do that with Drag & Drop. If not what software can I copy and make data DVD's?
    I'm new to the DVD buring idea.
    Thanks,
    Mike

20. herbsman

Nero is a good data burning software and I personally dont find it too bad at DVD-R burning also (it is drag n' drop).
    Some would disagree with that...but that's their perogative!
    Alternative burning progs
    Instant Copy
    RecordNow Max
    etc etc

(I really dont like Prassi Prismo but then again I use UDF/IFO Mode & not ISO).