1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explorer Crashing.... Help Me Please!!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by theo.aku, Mar 7, 2006.

1. theo.aku

theo.aku Member

Excuse the essay but if you can read this and solve my problem there will be some good karma headed your way, you see I've got this problem which has been bugging me for a while...

There are certain files on my computer which when I try to access them through Windows, Explorer hangs. They are always .avi files and it does not seem to matter what size they are. It happens not just to files I have downloaded but also to files I have rendered myself using Adobe Premiere.

When the system crashes, the simplest way to restore things back to normal is ctrl-alt-del and force quit drwtsn. Explorer then restarts.

The problem happens even with a mouse over. The only way to move/rename/delete one of the problematic files is to access it through a save/open dialog box in another application (eg. notepad).

I have tried disabling drwtsn by removing the registry key at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

which results in the following error message appearing when I mouse over the problematic files:

"explorer.exe - application error

The instruction at "0x034e321f" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program"

which I do and explorer restarts (there is no cancel button)

I hope there is an easy way to correct this.

It may be coincidental but I have another recurrent problem which may help to diagnose the above one: when windows starts, an error message appears saying "windows - no disk please insert a disk into drive" If you click cancel, windows then starts as normal.

Thank you for reading this far, I hope you can fix my problem for me.

Theo

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

There is a tweak for avi files in the registry that keeps Windows from hanging when trying to read the file. The problem lies in how Windows reads the file, it tries to read the entire file when it doesn't have to....

Edit: Found it.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Windows_XP_AVI_Fix.htm

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  3. theo.aku

theo.aku Member

IT WORKS!

absolute genius. i love u! thanks

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Flattered.

You're welcome.