1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AGP, PCI or PCI Express: which one is better?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hodab, Aug 15, 2006.

1. hodab

hodab Guest

Hi
    Which one is better: AGP, PCI or PCI Express?
    I will use Intel Core 2 duo processor...

2. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

pci express is definitely the best. pci runs at 2x , agp runs at 4/8x and pci-e runs at 16x

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's not strictly true, but the point of the argument is that PCI express is better which is true. Not only is it parallel (lots of connections running down separate channels) rather than serial (lots of connections going down one channel one after the other) like AGP is, but the bandwidth is much higher.

PCI express' base speed is about three times that of PCI I think, so while you have PCI 1x, AGP 1x, 2x, 4x and 8x, and PCI express 1x, 4x, 8x and 16x (yes all those exist) the speeds aren't actually quite like that.

AGP 1x is like PCI 2x, so AGP is effectively 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x.
    PCI express 1x is like PCI 3x so PCI-E is effectively 3x, 12x, 24x and 48x, and so on. Of course some boards allow two slots to run at 16x.

But in short, you want PCIe, especially to have performance worthy of a Core 2 Duo.

4. s3a

s3a Guest

To be even more basic:

1st place: PCI Express
    2nd place: AGP
    3rd place: PCI

P.S.
    Like sammoris said, the speeds matter but if each "type" of card is at their maximum speed 16x (for PCI Express), 8x (for AGP) and I don't know the speed for PCI (sorry)...the best would be PCI Express followed by AGP followed by PCI, as I am showing above.

Hope that helps!

*Thanks St-Sammoris for all the previous help you have given me!

5. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

even though PCI Express is newer, it has a tendency to cost less than an AGP card, eventhough it is newer.

this is because PCI express has a bigger future than AGP

PCI is clompletely out of the big picture here. People only should get PCI if that is the only port they have on their mobo.

There are not really any good PCI cards out there. The best one would be nVidia GeForce FX 5200. PCI can only run simple games

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's essentially correct. While most cards don't use them, don't forget the other connection speeds.

7. s3a

s3a Guest

I have a simple qustion to ask: Not that I want to but I CAN put a PCI gfx card on my mo-bo (ASUS P5GDC Deluxe), right? I have a PCI Express tho, I just want to see if it is physically possible (in terms of software compatibility as well).

I just want to feed my curiosity.

8. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

No you cant unless you have the same port as the card

but that would be dumb to use a very limited pci card instead of a pci express.

Any ways, PCI express does not match up with the terminals of a pci card

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can put a PCI card in your board because it has PCI slots, but they won't fit in PCI express slots, nor will it be anywhere near the performance of a PCIe card.

10. s3a

s3a Guest

That's what I thought..

*Sammorris, it's really obvious that you can't put a PCI gfx card in a PCI Express slot! However, keep it there (don't edit it out or anything) if someone new ever needs to learn a thing or two.

P.S.
    Remember that idea of rendering my PC useless and waiting for a new and better gfx card??! Well...I have a ATI RAGE card (old) and I have never checked it's slot, should it be a PCI card? If it is, whenever I wait for a new and better card to come out, I can use that old card for waiting (my pc will still be high-end just bad gfx) I can still use a super powered pc!! Ya!!! And then when I get the better card, I take out the old PCI card and insert the new one! I hope I am not boring you with my repetitive plans on my idea (they keep getting modified for the better!).

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No by all means, I know about repetitive plans, I first looked at lists of components for this PC in October 2005, and only ordered in late June this year! The thousands of components I looked at!
    I had an ATi Rage Pro in my oldest system, but that was integrated, not PCI. If it's definitely a card though I'd expect it to be PCI, ISA is just too old for that, even a Rage.