1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-105 burning 4x takes 40 minutes

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Mulox, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Mulox

Mulox Member

I have been trying to troubleshoot why my Pioneer DVR-105 is so slow burning at 4x. I made sure I patched Nero and flashed my burner's bios before doing my test. Here is the system it's in right now:

AMD 2800+ XP 333Mhz Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Nforce2
    Maxtor 200gb ATA133 7200rpm 8mb cache
    512mb (2x256) Corsair Platinum Ultra 2-2-2
    WinXP Pro SP1
    Nero 5.5.10.28
    Pioneer DVR-105, firmware v1.33

At first I thought it might be the media, since this is my first time trying to burn at 4x, but I tried 3 different manufacturers (Sky, Princo, and Ritek) and got the same results using Nero... took 40 minutes to burn a full 4.35gb DVD-video disc from the hard drive... WAY too long! In comparison, it takes me about 50 minutes to burn a 1x DVD-R disc using Nero or DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter.

Anyone have any thoughts on what is causing the severe slowdown? I thought this burner was supposed to burn in about 15-20 minutes for a full disc? Yes, I know it depends on your hardware/software, system config, etc., but I should be smoking with my setup, and this is frustrating!

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Well the 1x speed is about right. You could try RecordNowMax instead of Nero and see what you get, but if it's still slow I would suggest the drive is faulty and you would need to take it back for an exchange.

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i dont think its software! i think its hardware issue! must be the flash did it change the firmware ok?

is the formware showing up in nero tool?

before and after flashing what was your 2X speed times? 30mins?? before and after?

Thx_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  4. Mulox

Mulox Member

Well, I bought the drive in December last year and this is the first time I am burning at 4x (I bought a bunch of 1x discs when 4x was too expensive and just now finished them). The first time I tried to burn at 4x was with original firmware, and Nero showed a 4x disc as 1x, so then I flashed to v1.33, and it shows as 1.33 in Nero info tool and disc shows as 4x now, so everything looks good there. I have never tried burning at 2x Rotary, and only burned at 1x prior to flashing.

I thought about trying some of the following:
    1. Re-flash the firmware (useless??)
    2. Burn a 4x-rated disc at 2x in Nero just to see what happens
    3. What about burning something different besides DVD-video (like a data DVD backup instead)?
    4. Try DVD Shrink or RecordNowMax (although I agree with Rotary, I don't think it's software)
    5. Remove IDE controller and let Windows reinstall on reboot (saw this online somewhere, no idea if it works).
    6. Last resort remove burner and install in a Win2000 machine I have to test it there.

Any thoughts?

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

dont remove the eide cable! only to put it as master drive setting and try to put it on its own eide slot!

the idea is to uninstall the device in devise manager then reboot and let windows find it! sometimes this works! also your system specs are excellant! are you running PIO or UDMA ?

are you on fat32 or NTFS ?

Thx...

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You could try changing to PIA mode instead of DMA. Also check that you are burning disc-at-once in nero and not using multisession.

8. Mulox

Mulox Member

Thanks guys.

Rotary, what I meant was removing in device mgr, sorry for the confusion. I have the Pioneer set as a master drive on secondary IDE channel, and a Samsung CD-RW/DVD-rom combo drive as slave.

I am on NTFS and using UDMA. Also I always use disc at once in Nero. I will give PIA later tonight.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

Just a quick thing i noticed! your nero is the bugged version!!!!

use the one i use its v5.5.10.42 its the version before this bug ridden v6 new nero!

also on nero what is your ASPI layer version i have the latest 4.71.2 i think?

could be your problem?

Thx.._X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

10. Mulox

Mulox Member

Hmmm, good point. I will have a look and see if Nero needs patching. I may already have this version, and just made a mistake on my original post.

So I will do these in the following order:
    1. Patch Nero if it needs it
    2. Try PIA mode
    3. Remove IDE controller in device mgr & reboot
    4. Last resort try flashing bios with hacked version

I will test after each step and only try the next one if my times are still slow.

Thanks

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

also if all works with new nero nd new aspi layer you can upgrade your firmware then to 1.4 was it?

Thx...

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

what is your aspi layer as this is a driver for cdrom drives etc !!!!!!

put this in your folder address bar after opening any folder or the command promt!

C:\adaptec\aspi\aspichk.exe

Thx...

i updated to this aspi layer after install of xp pro/sp-1_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

here is the link for adaptec.com

ASPI LAYER:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...no&language=English+US&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe

this is what it addresses in the new version!

Notes:
    The change in 4.71.2 from earlier versions is that it enables tagged queuing for read/write commands.

thx..._X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

14. joblow

joblow Guest

Mulox

Nero gave me so much troubles that I switched to RecordNow DX. RecordNow seems also more compatibles for viewing DVD backups on standalone dvd players than Nero. When I was burning with Nero my very old and tricky Golstar couldn't play the movie, but it will on my friend's dvd players, but with RecordNow my backup could play on my Goldstar.

Like I said in the other thread I couldn't burn at 4x using fw 1.33(with recordNow DX), try to downgrade your fw back to 1.00(it's very easy). But first you should try to use RecordNow instead of Nero, because maybe you have a bugged version. Don't install both of them because it can cause conflicts. Uninstall Nero before using RecordNow DX. If you still not able to burn at 4x you can try to downgrade your fw to 1.00.

Specs:
    Win XP Professional
    A-05
    AMD athlon 900 mhz
    1000 megs Ram

15. joblow

joblow Guest

Mulox

Just before I had upgraded my A-05 fw to 1.33, I had burn 3 discs at 4x (Pioneer, Princo and Lead Data) all was burning well at 4x with Record Now DX. But imbecile like I am, for absolutely no reason I upgraded my fw to 1.33 and then no more 4x burns(Princo and Lead Data I had no more Pioneer so I couldn't test it). That's why I think it could your fw. And of course try RecordNow with 1.00 fw.

16. Mulox

Mulox Member

Okay, I double-checked and I am in fact running the latest version of Nero, v5.5.10.42. I also noticed that secondary IDE channel shows current transfer mode as UDMA 2, is this correct?

I think I tried RecordNowMax many months ago and did not like it too much. I guess I could try it again for testing purposes, but I would rather try DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter instead.

So what should I try next guys?
    Remove secondary IDE controller in device mgr & reboot?
    Try PIO mode?
    Uninstall Nero and burn with RecordNowMax?

17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

just got up and i cant check udma due to i cant remember where to find it under device manager HELP!

6.00 in morning here!

i will have a think! did you check aspi layer and what is your dvd coping doing saying? any errors now?

Thx...

18. Mulox

Mulox Member

I meant to ask you about that too... what does that ASPI install do exactly? It looks risky since they don't support it. Also, how am I supposed to install it for my AMD cpu? The install instructions only list a switch for Intel...

Going to bed now, almost 2am here. Will fool with it more tomorrow. Thanks for you help.

19. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i am still trying to find in device manager where to check UDMA for the life of me i cant find the dam settings? do you know where to go for?

on the aspi layer just run the extractor and then it will crate a folder C:\adaptec\aspi then just click install.BAT it will load itself! you follow on screnn what it says! then click aspiinst.EXE and your done - reboot!

could you help me find the UDMA settings?

Thx..

20. whompus

whompus Active member

udma settings are under device manager properties of ide ata/atapi controlers