1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menu system wont work.......help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Drango, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Drango

Drango Guest

Happy Christmas everybody.

This is wrecking my head. I have created a DVD with 2 titles on it. I used smartripper to rip files. Tmpgenc DVD author to create menu and author it.

When the files are created i opened WinDVD and tested it.Everything works perfect. All menu buttons do as they should. However when i burnt the files to disk the menu system wont work and disc freezes.Does this on stand alone player and in WinDVD.

I cant understand why this is happening. Has anybody else come across this problem ?????????????

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Drango,

Did you have [bold]all[/bold] of your files in your VIDEO_TS folder when you cranked up the heat ??

What did you burn it with, if Nero - with "wizard" or Nero regular -
    Did you follow this order -

Do not use Nero Wizard.
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose DVD. Directly under that click on DVD Video. Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the DVD Video window. In the left screen, click VIDEO_TS. In the File Browser screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the DVDShrink folder holding your work and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “Burn” and Baby, now you are done !!!
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Mr. Computer.
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done, it will let you know.

Playing with your computer too much can screw up a burn even when it says "Burn Successful".

Did you use another burning program ??

What was that ??

Trying to help here guy -

Not worth "Wrecking your Head"

BTW -
    Merry Christmas back to ya,
    "P"

3. Drango

Drango Guest

Cheers for reply Old man

I used cloneDVD .Tried to use Nero but it said files were not DVD compliant.

When i ripped the second set of files there was no Video_ts file so i created new ones using IFOEDIT.
    So i end up with two folders with disc 1 and disc 2.
    I used dv2one to join the files and shrink.Then created menu and authored with tmpgenc DVDauthor.
    I end up with menu and shrunken files.

So i run these files in WinDVD and everything works.But when i burn it to disk it wont work.Wont let me select disc 2 from start menu and when i select a chapter it plays the next one.Im also stuck on screen 1/3 in menu

Is it me or is it a problem with DVD author (prob me)
    Maybe im not creating new IFO files properly.
    Well any help would be appreciated.I hate starting a prject and end up not being able to do it and besides im building up a large expensive collection of coasters !

cheers
    Drango

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Drango,

Using SmartRipper rip your DVD completely (all files) to your Hard Drive into a folder named

'VIDEO_TS'

and make sure the folder name is uppercase.

Prepare two empty directories and name them disc 1 and disc 2. Within each of these directories, create a directory called 'VIDEO_TS'.

Start IFOEdit and load VIDEO_TS. Select [DVD PLAY] and wait until movie starts. Then Exit from IFOEdit. A window will be displayed informing you of what Titles played. Make a note of these.

Start IFOEdit and load VIDEO_TS. Select [DVD PLAY] and wait until movie starts. Then Exit from IFOEdit. A window will be displayed informing you of what Titles played. Make a note of these.

Determine what set of VOB’s is your Main Movie. Then, start IFOEdit again and load the VTS_xx_0.IFO of the main movie. ( xx is the set number i.e. 03 )

Press the button [VOB Extras] . A dialog box will appear, allowing you to select what processes you want to do. The standard options are already selected for you.

Select the [Strip Streams] option also. DO NOT select [Strip VOB ID’s].

Down at the bottom, select the disc 1 and disc 2 directories you created. The button with the dot in it will allow you to browse for each directory

IFOEdit created a new IFO file and VOB files of your movie in the specified destination directories.

There are some files missing that you need to copy into BOTH directories.

VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.VOB

VTS_xx_0.VOB ( xx is the main movie set, i.e. 03)

You will also need to copy the set or sets of titles (the ones that you made a note of earlier) Example, IFOEdit returned that it used Titles 1,2 and 4. Sets 1 and 2 pointed to VTS_01 and 4 pointed to VTS_3 (the main movie).

You will need to copy all VTS_01_x files to both directories also.

Close IFOEdit.

Open VIDEO_TS in disc 1 with IFOEdit and press 'Get VTS Sectors' to correct all start sectors. When asked, click 'Yes' to correct all IFO files.

Press the [Region free] button. If No RCE checking was found, click on the [Save] button.

Open VIDEO_TS in disc 2 with IFOEdit and press 'Get VTS Sectors' to correct all start sectors. When asked, click 'Yes' to correct all IFO files.

Press the [Region free] button. If No RCE checking was found, click on the [Save].

Now that we are done there – Fry that cookie –

HINT:
    To avoid any chance of rejection from your standalone guy (assuming that your owner’s manual says the media you are using is compatible with your player) only use the “Good stuff”. Poor media can start errors of their own –

Hope I haven’t screwed you up too badly, I had to borrow some information as IFOEdit doesn’t work too well on my XP ??

Any who – best of luck,
    & Happy New Year - “P”

5. Drango

Drango Guest

Christ Pete thats a lot of typing .I really appreciate it.Im new to dvd ripping but understand what ur guide is trying to do.
    Can u answer these niggling questions for me please ?

1. I know it is possible to copy vobs from two discs ,join them but CAN YOU THEN make a menu that works.
    I ripped two towers and got neccesary vobs and joined them.Burned to disc and works perfect.However it wont load in dvd author(freezes half way) so i cant create menu.

2.Why wont it load ? it should be compliant should'nt it

3.As i said i joined all vob files.I created neccessary ifo and bup's etc.Is this not now an "origional" film in its own right ?

4.Any good guides or tutorials to answer stuff like this i.e tell me what is and is not possible.i like to learn so anything u can link 2 would be appreciated.

Maybe im just trying to do things that actually are not possible

Have a good New Year yourself...the blessings of Jasus upon you

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Drango,

I'm sorry my friend, you've done run de "Old Man's" well dry. As I mentioned, some of this stuff I'm just a-winging' ;-)

I don't know why won't it load. I think it should be compliant.

Perhaps there's someone else out there that can bail us out, using the tool's we have at hand -

OK, Lil' Buddy, I have just one last question -

The original project you started with, was it by any chance a commercial DVD that you were just backing up ??

I'm thinking that it was, since you had to use SmartRipper to rip it from the start - If that IS the case AND if you aren't trying to join 2 DVD's together, I’d love to start you on another track, a far simpler track (all the other guys out there that know me already know what's coming ;-))

Let me know if that is the case, if not, we're still in the market for some additional
    input ;-((

Waiting to hear from you -
    "P"

7. mlongoh

mlongoh Member

I think your problem is that your player likes root menus better than title menus. Yes I realize that's a vague statement, but I had the same problem and realized that my player generally displays root menus. My remote doesn't even have a Title menu button. Still working on figuring it out myself... using IfoEdit and MenuEdit.

8. hectar

hectar Guest

Start us on a noo tack my gud man, y'hear? As wants to know how to change Title 1 to Title 2 on da men-yooos, cos ifn it aint all plum miximicated up. Dang ah needs ta change menu 1 icon so it opens film 1 and so on. d'ya geeet ma drift there pilgrim? An as thinks thats watta da gennulman is a-askin.

thankee kindly there

ooooool hectar

9. Drango

Drango Guest

Hey pete
    The film is LOTR fellowship.I have joined discs and it plays thru to end continously without any problems.Im just 2 lazy to flip disc half way.
    Id be interested to hear your other plan...is it rip and shrink it by any chance ?

Mlongoh i dont think it is a player problem cos same error occurs when i play disc on the pc

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Drango,

Yep, ya done found me out -
    I was a-thinkin' re-author in Shrink.

BTW - It's not rip and Shrink - DVDShrink does the rip, compression and re-authoring - but that was my train of thought if we were working with just a single DVD -
    Since you are joining two movies (really, that what it breaks down to) and you can't move menus over in Shrink re-author I don't see it happening with Shrink.

[bold]HOWEVER,[/bold]

Now that I know where you’re going, the problem stops being a problem and becomes a snap !!

The answer is DVD2One !

You can join the two sides together without menus – easy as pie guys –

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd2one.cfm

(Aaahhh done always say, youse asks de proper question and we can get de job done !)

Everyone set – hectar, mlongah,, Drango ??

Off ya all toddle now, the end of the rainbow is in sight –

Pete

Last edited: Dec 29, 2003
  11. Drango

Drango Guest

Heya Pete,

Ok hands up i may not have been that clear .I wanted to join the discs which i have done. But i also created a menu in dvd author and wanted this at the start of the film so i can skip to differant chapters,same points as on the origional.Besides it looks a lot better.
    Anyways ive come to the conclusion that it cant be done
    so ive given up trying.I will have to be happy with just the movie minus the menu.
    Started back in work today......bloody nightmare

And i guess that is that....thread closed unless u have any gems of wisdom
    Cheers for ur help

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Okie, Dokie, I had that thought originally -

I sure am not the last word on what can be done or not done but I have no ides as to how to do it - Leave your thread open, maybe someone out there will catch it and come up with a solution - be cool if they did wouldn't it ??

Meanwhile, it's been fun hasn't it ??

Here's hoping that you and yours have a great New Year

Best to all,
    Pete

13. drchips

drchips Active member

Tada!!! (that is the sound of celebratory trumpets)

it CAN be done in TMPG DVD Author.

You just have to set the default first action for the menu.

I've been watching this thread, waiting for it to become clear what you were REALLY trying to do.

So I went ahead and did it..

Here's how:
    1 - In the start screen, Create new project
    2 - In the source screen, Add DVD video (your first film) and perform any chapter cuts needed.
    3 - add new track (in blue in left window pane) and repeat step 2
    4 - repeat steps 2 and 3 as required
    5 - go to the Create menu screen
    6 - Pick your theme
    7 - name all the tracks/films etc
    8 - under firstplay action, select Display main menu
    9 - go to the output screen
    10 - select create dvd folder & browse to the place you want it to go.
    11 - begin output
    12 - When output complete, click ok
    13 - quit

test, compress, test & burn....

Some gotchas to watch out for:

cannot mix NTSC & PAL on same disk.
    some films may have too high an encoding rate & need to be re-encoded.

Have Fun...

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

drchips,

The very "koolness" of it sir, ya done good,

Thanks for sharing -

Best wishes,
    Pete

15. Drango

Drango Guest

Ok i will give that a shot this weekend and let you know how i got on.Been celebrating so aint had much time lately.Bloody sick of drink but ssshhh i will be striped of my Irish citizenship if anybody hears that.
    Right lads ,appreciate help.I will report result asap