1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can the Audio be ripped from a DVD?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by dief123, Dec 30, 2003.

1. dief123

dief123 Guest

Can just the audio files be ripped from a DVD? I have a PC with a DVD player and CD-R burner. I'd like to rip the audio soundtrack from DVD concert movies and burn audio CDs. Can Anyone help me??

2. Amstel

Amstel Member

Yes, this is "easy".

The first step is just to rip (read) one of the available audio tracks from DVD to your harddisk. I prefer to use "DVD Decrypter" for this.

What you get is for example an AC3 or PCM audio file.

The second step is that you have to convert the existing audio file to a 44.1 kHz, 16 bits WAV file.
    For AC3 files you can use for example "Headac3he" and for some, not all, PCM files "CoolEditPro".

There is a lot of information about this on this forum, success.

3. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

another easy way would be to rip the dvd to your hard drive using smartripper or dvd decryptor and then use dvd2avi to extract the audio..it will be a large wave file. Then use an audio editor like goldwave to cut the tracks

4. OAKside24

OAKside24 Regular member

Are there any guides for this anywhere? I also have a concert DVD, already have DVD Decrypter and DVD2AVI. I only have 5 gigs available on my HDD, so I can't burn entire 6 GB DVD onto it.
    -Tom

5. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

http://entiendo.gotnet.net it shows how to make a copy of a dvd to svcd, but the section on making the audio portion is the same as what you want to do..

6. OAKside24

OAKside24 Regular member

THANKS Senior. That entiendo site should work.
    -Tom

7. RWG

RWG Regular member

ImToo DVD Audio Ripper does just this; rips DVD audio to mp3 or wav. You select the bitrate.

RWG

8. Deonildo

Deonildo Member

The entiendo procedure works fine. It generates a long, long file. I used EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to cut the file with the cut sheet tool (great tool). I got some errors when trying to cut at time longer then 80 min. ("time format incorrect"), so I made it in two steps of less than 60 min. and worked. I also got some cutting errors when using fractions of second ("00:00.XX") This can be overcomed rounding to closed seconds, enough to separate the reververance of the string and brass sections of an orchestra from a loud applause.

9. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

2 ways.
    1/. Use DVD Decrypter in Stream processing mode, extract the AC3 files & convert back to WAV using BeSweet.
    2/. Rip using ImToo DVD Audio ripper. This is your best option, as it will do the WAV conversion on the fly. Be aware that it is VERY badly named though./ It rips the Audio from DVD-Video discs, NOT DVD-Audio discs. These use CPPM or MLP and CPPM has never been cracked, and AFAIK there are no converters that will unpack an MLP stream.

10. derodra

derodra Member

If you got a decent enuff soundcard, just record it through soundForge or coolEdit, but this will mean you will have to play the entire dvd. Why would you want to rip the sound off the entire dvd anyway? I assume its only parts of the dvd audio you want extracted?

11. Grooves

Grooves Member

The way I'd do it would be to rip the movie using Smartripper, then once you've got the whole film on your HDD, downmix the audio using DVD2AVI. Which needs to only open it so you can produce a WAV that's really good high bitrate quality, then just delete the other files and keep the soundtrack that should be at 44100 frequency suitable for most soundcards. Before you save the audio make sure you have Audio menu, Dolby Digital both set to Decode and Dolby Surround Downmix and set 44->44.1KHz to Ultra High. Then save it by selecting the project file in your ripped directory and it'll produce a great soundtrack.

12. krowdog

krowdog Guest

Is there any crack to get the full version of dvd audio ripper? When its downloaded you get a test version of it and can only rip 5 min of every song.

13. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I know a great one that works every time.
    1/. Go to the company website
    2/. Get out your credit card
    3/. PAY FOR THE PRODUCT, NOT STEAL IT!

read the forum rules- NO CRACKS!

14. bazooka

bazooka Member

Hello, I used DVD Decrypter to put the contents of a concert dvd on my hard drive, and want to use DVD2AVI to convert the audio to a wave file. I can't figure out what exactly to do next in order to get the sound from the dvd converted to a wave file, can anyone help me out here, thanks! I've never used DVD2AVI, so I'm not sure how it works.......

15. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I've never had any luck with DVD2AVI either.
    However, if you use DVDDecrypter in stream processing mode, you can extract whatever soundtrack is present in PCM or DTS/AC3 mode.
    PCM is obviously no problem, but if you get the AC3 file then BeSweet has a feature that will apparently allow you to convert the AC3 to PCM WAV.
    Alternatively, there is DVD-Audio ripper. Not freeware but very good just the same, it will take the audio from any DVD-Video disc and extract to either AC3 or PCM WAV for you.
    Well worth the money.
    LOL

16. Grooves

Grooves Member

Just like I said.

You can do it whatever way you want, read the guides on this site on how to rip a whole DVD plus videotrack. It's always worked for me! If you're gonna use DVD2AVI then you need to use Smartripper, they go together like strawberries and cream. Remember that you're only downmixing the audio in DVD2AVI so it'll handle better on your computer's soundcard.

17. lotrmanny

lotrmanny Member

Hi there! I have used Smartripper to extract the AC3 files of my DVD, then I used the AC3decoder to convert the AC3 files to MP3 files. My problem is that when I listened to the MP3 file there was only 54min of soundtrack when there should have been 1hr49min. The sound is great! What happend to the rest of my file? Please help!

18. Grooves

Grooves Member

I dunno???

Maybe you ran out of hard disk space?

If you're gonna do this movie stuff you've gotta make sure you've a decent sized HDD cos when it rips the DVD it copies a *lot* of data. It's best just to do that then delete everything that smartripper's extracted.

I just wish I knew a really good DVD burning program that's better than dvd x copy. I've had severals goes with it but some won't work and have this read error before the burn starts.

19. lotrmanny

lotrmanny Member

Hey Everybody, I finaly found the Fool-Proof way to rip the audio of any DVD! The program/software is called "DVD Audio Ripper 1.0"! It's fast and super easy to use! Try it and enjoy!

20. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I refer you to my post above.
    This app rips Audio from DVD-Video, to WAV or MP3 format.
    Despite the name, it does not rip DVD-Audio which is a different animal.