1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we getting swamped by Trolls???

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by drchips, Jan 12, 2004.

1. drchips

drchips Active member

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the sudden increase of posts where the language is so very poor, with no spacing, no punctuation, atrocious spelling etc. etc.?????

Such posts also tend to have a very high correlation with ridiculous or meaningless questions, or statements and phrases that are very difficult to make sense of??

OK, I am aware that there are a considerable number of forum users where English is not their native tongue, and those in general are easily identified (I have been helping a Spanish speaker recently and we managed fine).

I am referring to those posts where the spelling etc. looks DELIBERATLY BAD and F**KED UP....

Are we being infested by Trolls??

What do you think?

2. account

account Guest

i agree it's as if no one cares about spelling anymore and think that we all can decifer there bad text and spelling if you don't speak english and you try we can usually get what you mean but these other fusks damn they piss me off before i would try to read what they typed but i have given up now.

this has nothing to do with the above i am not advertising i am just doing this to make 2 cents per click this will be on all my posts
    http://www.modchip.com/clickcgi/click.cgi?goodcheats

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Seems to be the younger ones that have some fascination with internet gibberish. It makes absolutely no sense to come to a forum seeking help and then make it next to impossible for those who are used to things like grammar and punctuation to understand what the hell you're trying to say.

I've noticed that some of the word bastardizations that they use take just as many keystrokes as the proper word. It's absolutely bizzarre. I guess it's because I'm getting old.

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I have noticed an increase in questions being asked that don't ask a question. As in it is very very general or hard to fiqure out if the person doesn't under stand what they are asking about.
    As my spelling is terrible I have now almost gottent to the point where I don't notice it any more for others. So on the general Troll theme I am not too sure. But to wish people would be more specific in their questions.

5. cleft

cleft Member

Hmmm, yes, have seen the tend you are speaking of here for some time. Maybe I saw the "egg heads" of the group first, I don't know on that.

While my spelling skills have reached a new lows, (seeing how long it has been since I have been in formal school settings) I guess my comprehension is still lagging too.

U don no me... is not a sentence and comprehension has to take great leaps to decypher any meaning from it. All school kids know proper english to some degree within the states and many outside the states put our domestic students to shame.

When asking a question, if question there is; it needs to be intelligible to some degree with out having to be a cryptogapher to discover the hidden meaning.

Eubonics not withstanding, english is the communication language of the land. If you don't have time to write a proper question, who has time to figure out,
    first, what one would want,
    second, what is the answer,
    third, how do I say it so that it is understood given the context of the question.

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

It is one thing to speak a certain way. It is a completely different thing to type it. Its more convoluted and it takes longer to type.

7. Nephilim

Very good point Praetor. It takes me forever to post because after I type it I always go back and read it to make sure it "flows" and I'm getting my point across as clearly as possible. Sometimes the brain is way ahead of the fingers and I end up with a post that jumps all around and is hard to follow so I go back and rearrange things to where my post isn't a "stream of consciousness" type of rambling.

8. beasty976

beasty976 Guest

all my frends no waht i say they can understand. we have no probs.why dont you laern the way it is in the net cuz it is the future and we are the futre and the net is for us.i dont have to think bout computers cuz i no bout them they are eazy. you lot always put us down you have no rite you have to learn to undertad us

9. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

beasty976 is rite about 1 thing and that's if you can understand what that person is saying then that's all that matters. There's never been a time on AD where slang made it so I couldn't understand wat they were saying. I've always been able to use context clues and understand wat they were saying just as easy as if it was perfect grammer. No one says you have to talk the way those people do, so as long as U understand them that's all that matters. I do agree that the general and vague questions are obnoxcous.

10. beasty976

beasty976 Guest

that drchips dont no crap he think hes all that. i no more than him

11. drchips

drchips Active member

Hmmm,

some of the posts in this thread seem to illustrate at least part of what I have questioned.

Is there also some correlation between "bad speling" (sic) and an agressive or abusive or confrontational attitude?

Is it possibly "cultural"? As in "Yoof Kultur"?

Just a thought..

Byeee...

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Ya aldkf aldial lsl sditls sodf ddidf ft s akt tmrab40a dnorerknas isnaifond asoekkd ssisflod. Ya know!

If you can read that you need help.

Nephilim, I do know what you mean, I typically read back over most messages. As I do find my self missing not, no and good in some posts. But taking the small 1 to 3 min to re read over a post is better then not getting any replies as know one knows what you talking about. Or miss leading many people in what you are triing to provide them.

Anger management is good. Were I am the best thing to do is make a nice big snowman, then beat the **** out of him. Snow-women just aren't allowed. Know what I mean Preator, or is the SLC lawn already green?

13. beasty976

beasty976 Guest

y u dissin us weer 1337 yor shit we gonna burn u haX0rS rool

14. drchips

drchips Active member

Yeah, right...

You just keep posting, ok.

Tell you what, seeing as you are such a "1337 haX0r" I shall give you a free shot!!

The I.P. address of my machine is 127.96.103.98

Fire your best shot, I shall be waiting.... LAMER!!

Hahaha

15. beasty976

beasty976 Guest

we gonna smoke u.u cant toch us

16. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

I think i have been around forums and usenet for so long i usually don't feed the trolls, but please is he being serious or what

17. drchips

drchips Active member

I have been waiting for your best shot...
    Wanna bet??

How's about this for just a starter then:

From your posting times and the packet watch I have been running, I have got this info:

You are using an Anonymous HTTP Proxy of address 146.145.53.182

Further investigation shows that as the primary anonymous address used by a program called "Steganos Internet Anonymity".

Packet tracing from that point led me back to so-7-0.hsa2.london1.level3.net

Suspecting you did not remove the subscribe request from your postings, a packet trace gave me a Name.

Further watching told me you were using BTOpenWorld as your service provider.

So, M. W**der of East London on BTOpenWorld...
    Tell me you can't be touched NOW.

Oh, you may be interested to know, I have sent an Abuse Report to your Service Provider, listing your I.P address and copies of the relevant posts with times and trace-routes.

Have Fun...

18. Nephilim

I'll believe this internet gibberish is "the future" as the oh-so-eloquent beasty976 states when I can buy a newspaper printed in gibberish.

Hey beasty 976, go try to fill out a job or loan application or turn in schoolwork using your superior gibberish and let us know how you get on.

On the net the only impression you leave for others is in the words of your posts. When a person is literate and has a rudimentary grasp on punctuation it is a joy to communicate with and help them. That's why most of us are here. To leave a post devoid of punctuation, known words of the English language or even a point leaves me the impression of someone who is either mentally challenged (not their fault) or a lazy slob (totally their choice). When I read posts from these so-called "visionaries of the future" it is a struggle. I'm here to try and help, not struggle with indecipherable trash.

I know kids will be kids and they want to be different, but don't come to a forum and expect those with an education to try and figure out your "futuristic" posts.

Here's another tip: when a thinking adults point of view is challenged they will reply in a thinking adult manner such as a civilized and friendly debate. An immature or developmentally retarded person resorts to threats of violence right off the bat. If you can't handle an intelligent debate you might want to go to http://pbskids.org/teletubbies/ and bash some five year olds.

Thank you and goodnight.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor 708A/Plextor Premium/LiteOn 166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1[/small]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  19. Nephilim

drchips, if I ever called you a name or upset you in any way in the past, I hereby apologize to you with all sincerity. :)

20. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya Nephilim,

No worries, you are safe :-O
    Is that link in your Favourites List? ;)

I could have taken that a lot further, as I have his Full Address.

Hopefully he might just go and be a "1337 DooD HaX0r" somewhere else.

Have Fun...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004