1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert PAL to NTSC

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fireboy24, Jun 9, 2004.

1. fireboy24

fireboy24 Guest

hi, im having a problem right here. that is, wat software should i use to convert PAL to NTSC for MOVIES. i couldnt find it. is anyone out there noe abou it ....

fireboy ....

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Try entering "pal to ntsc" in the search function. This question had been answered many, many times.

3. ink_sling

ink_sling Guest

ive been looking for the same thing... seems as if you need rip the entire movie over again and reencode to what you need...

for ps2 games you can just patch it.. I thought maybe you mgiht be able to do the same with movies..but I guess not

4. fireboy24

fireboy24 Guest

im sory that hv been botherin u all, ya i noe theres many software in the search fuction. but do u specife software to do tis .... hope u wont angry abou it, or mayb is there forum that tels so

fireboy

5. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

TMPGEnc Plus

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

avisynth is the best tool around, that i know off, but its not super simple, you'll need to look for guides.

7. fireboy24

fireboy24 Guest

thanx guys .... i try my best to look for it n do it ... anyway thanx again ...

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

easiest program is cucusofts avi2meg
    will convert avi to vcd/dvd/svcd ntsc 0r pal with just a couple of button pushes.Althought the time factor ranges from an hour to a couple depending on the size of your files

this is definitely easier than avisynth

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

None of those Programs (Accept AVISynth) will Do Proper NTSC/Pal conversions includeing Cucosoft and Tmpgenc..Those programs use Frame Duplication and Decimation to convert Frame rates which will end up giveing you a Jumpy effect on Playback in high motion scenes..The Proper Method for Converting Ntsc/Pal is either to Slow down/Speed up the Video/Audio to the New Frame rate(25fps Progressive slowed down to 23.976fps then add 3:2 Pulldown Flags to make it 29.976fps) Or to use Field Interpolation like when going from 25fps Interlaced to 29.976fps Interlaced...

AVISynth can do both of these methods of Frame rate conversion but AVISynth is fairly complex to learn for someone who has never used it before, Or the Only encoder that does Good Frame rate conversion is "Canopus Procoder"....
    25fps Pal Progressive is the easiest to convert to NTSC and 29.976fps Interlaced to 25fps Pal is the hardest......

10. tort

tort Guest

Okay, Medostream NeoDVDplus 5...

You can load in all the PAL VOB files, and then select make DVD playable on NTSC, then burn the NTSC DVD.

Simple, no?

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Sure ..But you will get the same artifacts I described in my earlier post like Jumpy playback in high Motion Scenes plus NeoDVD will have to re-encode the Files which Lowers the Quality and Probably quite a Bit because the Encoder used By NeoDVD is not a very high quality one compared to a professinal Encoder Like CCE SP or Canopus Procoder...

12. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ minion , i havent had the symptoms that you described yet but that doesnt mean i wont get them down the track.Would you have a review some where of avisynth or a link please.

andmerr

13. tort

tort Guest

Well, I never have gotten jumpy playback with any of the DVDs I've converted.

Are you using neoDVDplus 5, the latest version?

Canopus 1.5 will NOT accept VOB files as input. I just got Canopus 2.0 and will have to try that, but I thought they were looking for an easy way to do it, not have to RIP the files to Hard Drive, convert each video file, then have to re-author a new DVD with new menus, etc..

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

Vob files are Just Mpeg2 files with AC3 audio so you demux the Vob file and it will accept the Video and encode it then you just Mux the AC3 with the encoded Mpeg2 file and author it to DVD...Simple??
    I actually frameserve the Files to procoder anyways because AVISynth has better filters than Procoder...

I have NeoDVD Pluss 5.2.2 and the Choppynes is very subtle and Most poeple wouldn"t Notice it but I do but that is Probably because being a video editor I strive for perfection so i analize every frame and If my Boss even saw even the Slightest defect i could loose my job, and if it is worth doing then it is Worth doing right.....

15. VLJ

VLJ Member

Anyone ever try the Nero recode program? Nero has done a lot of updating and getting more and more into the video scene lately. I'm not sure their progarm Vision Express would do that but possible.

16. jaap

jaap Member

Hi,

I created a videoproject [ PAL ] with menus etc in Pinnacle Studio 9 and made a image file to HD before burning [ use Nero for that ].

Plays fine in PowerDVD player.

Now I want to convert this project to NTSC.

I tried NeoDVD Plus 5 for that but when I open the files of the VIDEO_TS dir. in the program it says :

neoDirect
    Cannot recognize file VIDEO_TS.VOB

So it does not work.

Anyone knows a solution for that ?

Jaap.

17. Derr_lol

Derr_lol Member

http://www.dvfilm.com/atlantis/
    DVFilm Atlantis converts pal to ntsc this is a costly software but there is a fully functional free trial so you can at least test the product to see if it works, I have no need for this as yet but it sounds pretty cool.

18. jaap

jaap Member

As far as I see on their site it only converts avi files and not the VOB files, so the video will not have any menu's ?

Jaap.

19. Derr_lol

Derr_lol Member

20. VLJ

VLJ Member

Der_lol you should be chastise for that last post! Talk about Nero and then put in a link to a fasclick cookie ad with popup and an advertisement that has NOTHING to do with Nero.

Mods!!!!