1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will give the best quality?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mccoy5, Jun 20, 2004.

1. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

I have read through this forum (which is very good)to find which is the best way to go to get good copies. After try out various different types of software i decidede to give Rebuilder/CCE basic a try as this seemed to be the best. But alas to no avail, after about 8-10 mins I get a message saying that 'there is noting to do, couldn't locate appropriate files in working directory? you must prepare and encode first.'Which I have done using decrypter, I have tralled through the net looking for answers to this problem but can't find any. I did follow the guides to the letter but still get the same message.
    I have nero recode, dvd dycrypter, dvd shrink & dvd x-copy,which all work well on short films, but which do you think would give the best quality on longer films like lord of the rings? AS i am about to give up on rebuilder as a lost cause?
    Any advise would help.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Check out this thread before you give up and ask Sophocles and the guys for help, tell them Brobear sent you. That should be good for a laugh. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/88747/470947-124751
    Anyway, I heard they had the guy that wrote the guide involved with the thread.

Since you threw the question on the forum, you might get a lot of different answers. I was looking at some tests that were done with some of these programs using Matrix as the test movie. Surprisingly, DVDXCopy Xpress was one of the better programs for long movies.

The DVD Shrink and Recode from Nero were at the bottom of the list. Frankly, I didn't agree with that one. I used Recode2 burning LOTR-Return of the King with excellent results. DVD Shrink does have a problem with the big movies (and the bigger the more noticable).

Intervideo's DVDCopy program got good reviews. They have a full function trial download.

Working with what you already have, I would suggest the Nero Recode and DVD X Copy being a second choice. Make sure you check out the Nero site for the latest downloads. Unless you really need it, I would suggest not loading InCD. A lot of complaints have come up about interference with other burner software.

Use your DVD Decrypter to rip the movie file to the hard drive and then use Recode2 to edit and burn the movie file. Some people suggest using a background ripper like DVD43 or AnyDVD. There are no real time advantages and this type of ripper is more resource intensive (memory, CPU). Recording on the fly is more likely to run into buffer problems and puts more load on the disc drive than recording from the HD. The plus is that a HD file can be checked if a problem happens with the burn.

3. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

Thanks Brobear, think I will give nero recode a go. See how I get on

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

brobear, right on with recode, tried to answer mccoy's question in the other thread, haven't heard back from him. Forget that test, half the stuff they tested has been updated 3or4 times. Intervideo sucks, too many pixelation problems. Pinnacle IC8 does extremely well brobear for copying the entire movie, sucks for re-authoring. I used dvd remake to re-author then IC8 and it turned out fantastic, only thing better I've seen is rebuilder/CCE. One thing about remake, trial version won't let you export files after re-authoring which makes it useless, since you can't view a finished product. Only costs 25.00, which ain't too bad.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Big O
    I did get some pixels with an older movie with InterVideo. With LOTR-Return of the King, I got excellent results. It sort of seems the program is fussy about what it transcodes. It seems to like the higher quality cinematography. Did you try decrypting the entire movie file to HD in ISO format (I used DVD Decrypter-free)? Then loading the ISO in an emulator (Daemon was my choice-free). That way the DVDCopy can handle the entire movie file from the HD. Less separation an re-integration of files and the program thinks it's reading a disc. (Some of the notes are so Newbies can follow and then ask a lot of questions). I get a lot of mileage out of the emulators. That little decrypter, ISO, HD, emulator deal works with a lot of different software.

I just noted the test to show the downside some people attribute to Nero. The Recode2 works good for me, though some might criticize my technique (Works great for me). Xpress has stayed pretty much the same and Shrink has been updated with some fixes and new options. Shrink's algorithm remains pretty much the same from what I hear.

Back to Nero, I didn't try the earlier version of Recode. The Recode2 is excellent, in fact I've been using it tonight to do some copies for the kids. Been meaning to ask, are you leaving the burn once choice on? I'm even guilty of unchecking that so an image is created on the HD for the final burn.

You're right, that test was a bit dated due to older versions of software. Some of the programs have only received minor upgrades though.

I have to take your word on the Pinnacle; only know what I've read and heard about it. For some reason the site wouldn't allow a trial download to me. Still haven't had the chance to try Rebuilder. It is on my agenda though.

Some of the programs can be confusing for Newbies. Having to learn a lot at one time is difficult for most of us mortals. It's sometimes a good idea to work with some of the simpler freebies, like Shrink, and then graduate to the better retail and more involved offerings. Some of the tools one learns with can be beneficial all the way down the line. I'm still partial to DVD Decrypter and Daemon, both free and excellent tools. I have the AnyDVD, but it gets little use (just so ye know I have the option of a background decrypter). I never did get into that thing about using Decrypter as a burner (too limited). As far as a complete retail package, I say go with Nero. It's a program handy for Newbies and one they can keep and use, even as they learn more about recording.

It's sort of funny. DVD Shrink uses Nero as the default burner. With the Nero Platinum with the Recode2, all a person needs is a good decrypter. Sort of freebie using retail and retail using freebie. Guess I'd better stop editorializing.

Hope McCoy is getting his problems solved. He should check back in and let us know how things are going. Sometimes you never know if things got solved or not. At least he made the choice to give Nero Recode2 a spin. Hope you guys can help him with the Rebuilder.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hey brobear

Don't worry about bigorange and intervideo he has never made a backup with Intervideo and discovered a single pixel that was out of place. He frets over it because he heard bad things about if from someone, or I have DVDcopy 2 and he doesn't. I've made close to 20 movies with it and at times it confuses me as to why I spend so much time with Rebuilder and CCE.

On another note, we are doing well with it and if you'd like to join us we'd like to have you on board. I enjoy working with bigorange and Vurbal and the others and so would you.

7. brian100

brian100 Guest

Sophocles.

I have used Intervideo (1.2 & 2) and have had the "pixellation problem" using both versions. They were exhibited on "full disk" (unmolested via dvddecrypter & smartripper) backup & "movie only" (processed via dvdstripper, remake & vobblanker). I have also noticed backups that have frozen or skipped abnormally using the app. These problems are random but they do occur within MY SETUP. Therefore I do not trust this product. There are others on this forum who have also had this ptoblem, I am not alone.

I tried uninstalling, cleaning the system, re-formatting but nothing could remove this issue.

I am pleased that you have managed to get the thing running smoothly. Guess you're lucky & I am unlucky, that's life.

For my 2 cents Pinnacle (both versions 7 & 8) still outperform Intervideo by a long way.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]On Initial Viewing My Backup Looked Terrible,
    But With One Eye Closed It Aint Half Bad!![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2004
  8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]brobear[/bold], no I don't have it, because of everything I've heard(pixelation, inconsistancy, problems with your PC), brian is just another example of what I'm talking about. [bold]sophocles[/bold], shame on you, you rascal,[bold] "He frets over it..... I have DVDcopy 2 and he doesn't."[/bold] I gave my reasons and I don't think envy was one of 'em.I'm not averse to the program, just leery. If it didn't work, I can live with that. But if I have to do system restores to repair whatever it did to my Pc, that's another matter. Do you really think it's all that much better than IC8? I know you don't think it's better than rebuilder/CCE. Is speed a factor? Because it's so fast, how much faster can it be? Recode's pretty quick, IC8 is slower but quality is way up there. And grandaddy rbldr/CCE we already know about. PS- like sophocles said, join us brobear, it's a lot o' fun, we could use another well informed opinion.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Brian100

The demo of DVDcopy 2 is only good for 3 days. You can only use it so many times before that time runs out. The only other way to do it is to buy it or use a cracked version (a patch) that is seriously flawed and also dated. I'm completely proficient at using CCE but even on large films that I've compared DVDcopy 2 to CCE it almost matched it. I've made over 20 movies with it now and not a single pixelation Problem. If I'm super lucky and the next movie I back with it is about to fail then I would still have a 95% chance of success, but that's just hypothetical the rest is the truth.

10. brian100

brian100 Guest

Sophocles.

I am very pleased that you have success with the product.

I will wait for the next version of Intervideo before looking any further with this product. One bitten twice shy.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Brian100

Remember Frisk? He was one of the first at CDfreaks.com to report the pixelation and he tried it again and got good results. I can only say that it seems to have a better picture than instant copy, and 3 times as fast. Kind of a silly point really since I make all my serious backups with DVDrebuilder/CCE. BTW, you can only remove audio tracks with DVDremake if its part of the title set your either hiding or removing

12. brian100

brian100 Guest

You took the words out of my mouth mate.

The one thing I have learnt from this whole quality issue debate is that "There aint an awful lot of difference between the top performers".

Thanks for the tip on Remake. I actually found a thread on another forum that covered the issue. I am sure that a future release of Remake will allow selective audio track removal.

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Sophocles, since I need to use it before I do or do not recommend it, I just downloaded Intervideo dvd copy 2. I will get back with you tommorrow and posts results. Any advice before I get started, also 79.00 OUCH cheapest price? Best guide, mushkin? brobear, any advice fro you? All help will be appreciated for this poor ole country boy.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Can you run anydvd, or do you have to rip with decrypter?

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Well,
    I have to admit, I've had good luck with DVDCopy2. As I said somewhere before, the pixel problems I had were of my own making. I was trying to create the problem. I had pixel problems with other software using the same file. It's just that when you do get a pixel problem with InterVideo on a 60" screen, you're looking at big boxes. I like the InterVideo. Like Sophocles I'll keep it until I start seeing a problem. It gave excellent results recently when I copied LOTR-Return of the King.

I think poor old DVD Decrypter gets a bum wrap sometimes. I use the program often and don't seem to have suffered any molestation. Then again, I use it with ISO files and only use the program to remove encryption. Some folks even tell me that ISO molests files, but I am more suspect of the transcoding than decryption process. I noticed the newer version of Decrypter even has a box to check in file mode to preserve multi angle input. Don't worry with the ISO, as the whole disk is there minus the encryption. Used DVD Decrypter and Recode2 and got good results copying Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for the kids. For you movie buffs, I also decrypted "Gone With The Wind", "The Green Berets", "Lawrence of Arabia", LOTR movies, "Pirates of the Caribbean", "Brother Bear", and "The Wild Bunch". Haven't decrypted "Heaven's Gate" yet, that movie is so long you have to watch it in installments. By the way, these are some of the really long movies where damaged files are more likely to show up due to compression.

When brian said, [bold]"There aint an awful lot of difference between the top performers"[/bold]; he wasn't just whistlin Dixie. Top performers are just that, because they give top performance. Problems crop up often and it's a toss up between human input, software glitches, and hardware problems. Top people in the field agree programs like Rebuilder do a better job. The trade off is ease of use and time involved. As for myself, I have several top performer programs. Some are more convenient (easy) to use than others; some do a better job with longer movies; in fact, I've run into movies that wouldn't record on one program that would on another (same decryption process). So, it's nice to have several good tools at one's disposal. Which reminds me, I need to take time to join Big O, Sophocles and the guys and learn something about Rebuilder. It might be a nice tool to add to my collection... Time?

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours... anydvd w/copy2? You know how fond of "on the fly" I am. I'm going to use an old movie since supposedly it doesn't do as well with those. It's a mad, mad, mad, mad, world. Long and appropriate for this forum, I might add.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Bigorange,
    Just to remind you of what you already know. You're better off decrypting/ripping to the HD; especially with longer movies. I'm sure you are aware of the advantages over recording on the fly with programs such as AnyDVD, DVD43 and the likes.

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK buddy, you've reminded me, now can you do it? You know I'll try just to satisfy my curiosity. BTW, you can use these programs and still write to the HD.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  19. brobear

brobear Guest

Big O,
    By the way, I couldn't get AnyDVD to work with either the DVD2One or InterVideo. It's been so long since I used it, I forget which it was. Short and sweet...

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Using a background decrypter and writing to the HD with another program is just another way of using more system resources. A one step decrypter is the best route to go there. I ran into a problem on a long movie with AnyDVD (I know why-buffer). Never ran into that with a HD file. Just so you don't ask, I have 330GB HD and 1GB RAM. Most of my recording problems have come from programs that are in the 'record on the fly' mode. It's funny when you look at it, that a lot of programs work either way and there is no appreciable time gain with background decrypters and in many cases there is a time loss. So, no real advantage with background decrypters (except you can set them to be on all the time). Working from the HD on the other hand has several advantages; i.e. the ability to check the file in case of a bad burn, faster than a disc drive in most cases, less wear and tear on the dvd drive, and fewer buffer problems.

The only program I have that won't work with an emulator is Xpress, but the advanced portion of the DVDXCopy Platinum will. So the program is really half and half.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2004