1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO DVDR05 Anyone bought one yet???

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by teleho, May 20, 2005.

1. geojedi

geojedi Member

My record is a little worse than 1 in 50, maybe 20 in 50 for me, but I still dont complain, for the price, I really got my moneys worth. Of course as I have said in my previous posts, those numbers could be high because of dvd compatibily issues, as there is a large list of brands that are not compatible with the ilo 05zu. Heck, I contacted ILO and they didnt even recommend their own brand of dvds. Now that is strange.....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  2. waltham41

waltham41 Member

I use the Maxwell discs, and beleive it or not they are 16x speed discs. I didnt realize that they were high speed discs until I had burnt 4 or 5 discs, and I figured what the heck if it works stay with it.

3. geojedi

geojedi Member

I had a similar prob. with an older vhs tape recording, It turns out to be the quality of the vhs tape and the recording itself. I recorded the episode on a tape with a set of rabbit ears years back before i got satalite. and because the recording was fuzzy and snowy, the dvd recorder didnt want to pick up the video just the audio...... Try doing another recording say directly from the tv, and see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  4. geojedi

geojedi Member

I tried 16x sonys that wouldnt even format. I will have to try the 16x maxells, I like the 4x maxells we will see. I also like the 4x imation +rw's as well, I had a little trouble with the first batch of those that I tried, but all the rest from that point on have been great.

5. siekert

siekert Member

My experience is that the 16X Memorex DVD+R's are 25/25 and the 4X Memorex DVD+RW's are 5/5. The only bad media is the stack of 100 4X +R's from Office Max where I'm 0/2. I'm actually going to keep that stack for the computer and data backup disks since I got them for $15.

I tell you, the RW's are really nice in that I don't have to worry about wasting a disk on some crap that I know I'll have no interest in next week. I'm editing some Mini-DV video from my honeymoon trip and I can burn to DVD whatever I get done without worrying about wasting the disk. In 8+- years with the CD burner I never used RW disks. What was I thinking? I just tossed out a stack of 200 meaningless cd's the other day...

The DVD RW's are also nice for recording shows and editing them on the computer, again without wasting disks.

6. waltham41

waltham41 Member

That is one flaw that my recorder has. It plays on my other DVD standalone player fine, and other peoples players fine also, but none of the discs I record will play on either of my PC's. One is a year old HP with DVD player and burner, and the other is a 2 year old HP with DVD player.

If I try to play anything, it always automatically starts about 3/4 of the way through the disc, plays to the end and stops and nothing I have tried will change that.

7. geojedi

geojedi Member

I have no trouble playing my recorded dvds on my laptop.... but since I have little use for a pc that plays dvds, the latop is the only system I own that will play dvds.Personally I beleive dvd brand compatibility is one of the main reasons the ilo 05has issues. I have little trouble with maxell brands as long as I use rw's If i use r's I almost always get coasters, so I dont even buy r's anymore. Plus I like the option of deleting a disk if I make mistakes. so RW's are the way to go.

8. waltham41

waltham41 Member

Ive never used anything beside R+ in my unit

9. geojedi

geojedi Member

as I said, I like the option of being able to make changes to a dvd later.

10. waltham41

waltham41 Member

Not me, all I record is movies and once they are done they are done :)

11. geojedi

geojedi Member

Each to his own. I couldnt be happier with my ilo, In fact I was thinking of getting another, and I even saw at my local walmart, an ilo04, the other night, but when I went back the next day, they pulled all of the 04s and replaced them with the o5s, so I think that is what I am getting..... another 05.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  12. asquires

asquires Guest

I used to have an ilo dvdr04 i was a fool for getting rid of it and now im looking for another one. i bought a dvdr05 becouse of problems with the dvdr04 freezing up and wouldnt except newer dvd+r i sold it to my dad and bought the newer one. thought i fooled him into taking the old one i told him about it needed older disks. anyway he downloaded some hacked firmwear now and the recoder works perfect and he can copy protedted dvds. im such a fool for getting rid of the 04 the o5 has no cracks and sounds like it wont becouse no one wants to crak crap. i recomend the 04 and would never buy another 05. the only way to copy dvds with it is to use the tuner input and have a rf converter on the other dvd player and then the tuner is only mono for sound dvdr05 just sucks its crap just like the whole sucky store i got it from wallmart. u suck sam walton ur kids have distroyed ur stores

13. siekert

siekert Member

asquires-

Why don't you go down to CompuUSA and buy a DVD recorder for your computer and copy movies that way? That's what I do and the PC takes about 20 minutes to get it done...

As for the 04 ILO, doesn't it lack the auto timer :)30, 1:00, 1:30) option that is on the 05? Walmart here has an 04 on display and I considered offering them something on it just because it seems to be pretty popular with most folks on this board. I might use it downstairs or sell it...

But if I can't set it to automatically stop itself prior to running out of disk space then it won't be of any use to me.

14. odd1

odd1 Member

the 04 has both a timer (once, daily, weekly, repetative) as well as a OTR (one touch)mode.

15. geojedi

geojedi Member

well I am not dumping on the 05zu as anyone who reads my posts knows I like mine, I just thought because alot of people seem to like the 04, I might give it a try, but it seems like walmart doesnt like to keep them out on the shelves very long. they had like 20 on the shelves at 9:30pm one night then the next morning when I went to buy one they had replaced them with the 05's Now I have an 05 that I am pretty happy with, so I dont need another, actually I dont even need an 04, I just thought I would see how it works.

16. asquires

asquires Guest

we dont have compusa here i do have a dvd recorder for my pc and its just plain buggy. i like the ideal of having a stand-alone recorder becouse it doesnt tie up my pc. pc glitches to much i also have an ati all in wonder 8500 dv on the pc i dont know if its the card or software the is buggy tho.

17. asquires

asquires Guest

well i got the last laugh i touch the 05 back to wallyworld and traded it for an 04 im gona get the hacked firmwear for it so i can use the newer disks and not wory about macrovision. anyone who has any new hacks id love to hear at adam_squires@yahoo.com thanks for the help

18. pakratBob

pakratBob Guest

Looks like I'm a little late about getting in on the discussing on some issues but---I bought an iLO 05mu,just before x-mas--hadn't read any of the posts untill just recently; anyway about the unit: It has been working great,after I figured out how tohook up 2 vcrs,a dvd ,a tv,and n fm modulator it works great--about 45 dvds produced from vhs tapes,no over heating and the only coasters were the ones from my mistakes,ie copy protected vhs

19. geojedi

geojedi Member

congrats..... I knew someone else out there, besides myself liked the 05.

20. JLB1978

JLB1978 Member

I bought one at Wal-Mart in November 2005 for $98.74 plus tax. this is my first DVD Recorder.

My problem with this unit is that it the sound warbly. Also, the timer programming fails to go off half the time for no apparent reason.

I'm looking for my receipt so I can take it back. I looked at getting a radio shack DVDR for $79 (during Xmas with mail in rebate) or a Cyberhome for $89 with a mail in rebate but eventually decided I might get more of the same with these cheap units so bought a Sony from B&H Photo for $189 (after mail in rebate). Sony has not arrived yet. Just bought yesterday.