1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***M3 DS Simply Guide***

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by mr_hanky, Jan 13, 2007.

1. enigmamed

enigmamed Member

Thank you, much appreciated :)

2. Windjai

Windjai Member

I'm back again and enjoying the thread. But out of curiosity though, will games requiring friend code etc be affected by any way if using M3 DS Simply? (i.e. as in it won't work?)

Also, how much can the M3 DS Simply support? As in memory size, because I purchased a 2gb and hope to god it will work!

And yeah, one thing that annoyed me, my friend got his from Hong Kong for dirt cheap! It was like HK$100+ that's like about £10 or less! And sites are charging higher, I am shocked =P

3. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

The M3 can use the FAT32 filesystem so it will support up to 32GB.
    You can also use FAT16, which supports upto 2GB.

Games with friends codes use the Nintendo WFC, this will work fine on the M3.

Price from HK will be cheap, i'm guessing the price dosn't include postage though, and demand can raise prices too. For example, I can buy the M3 for £18 delivered, others sell them about £20. Yet there are still people able to sell them on eBay for £25.

I'd love to visit HK one day, always wanted to...though I would need a hell of alot of spending money :p

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  4. MrWitness

MrWitness Member

I take it that's without the SD card ? I'm paying £30 complete with 1GB sandisk including delivery (EMS). Well, that's what I actually pay after my credit card firm shuffle the rates in their favour ! (and charge 2.5% for doing it !)

5. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Yeah, no SD card, i havn't found anywhere which can bundle an M3 and miroSD togther for cheaper than what I get for them seperatly. Plus i like to choose what MicroSD I get, I havn't seen anywhere which bundles with the Sandisk UltraII range for example.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  6. ubergamer

ubergamer Member

Hello everyone.
    This is an awesome website/thread (as many others have said.)
    I have had a DS for a few weeks and i am now looking to buy a M3 simply/R4 (this thread to thank.)

Before i do i have a couple of questions:
    I know the M3 and R4 are made as the same factory so they essentially physically the same but does either have an advantage in terms of its firmware over the other?

MrHanky this is a very reasonable price, where can i buy a M3 for this cheap?

MrWitness where can you get this combined deal from?

Thankyou in advance
    -ubergamer.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  7. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

The R4 firmware is usually out 1-2 dyas before the M3, other than that they are identical.

I get the M3 at £18 from a trade company, which to use you have to be registered as a buisness and pay a yearly fee. so not really a viable option unless you already use them.

8. MirageK

MirageK Guest

Well, that doesn't work. Ran scandisk and it didn't find anything wrong.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8577/errorrr8.jpg

error that it gives

9. LeetNoob

LeetNoob Guest

That looks like the data file may possibly be corrupted somehow. The question I have for you is: Is that the only file that that happens to? If it's not, then yeah, more than likely even with the scan, your card could still be damaged.

10. MrWitness

MrWitness Member

If you are in the UK, I can supply to you for a small postage charge, I buy direct from Hong Kong, but have to buy in quantity to achieve the lower price. I should have my site up and running by the end of the week with full details.

11. MrWitness

MrWitness Member

I'd go for a corrupt file for sure, you'll have to format to sort it out - I've had similar with Chinese origin MP4 players (CH-IPOD clones)

12. MirageK

MirageK Guest

Ah, I see. It does it with every .sav.

Though I did find out, that if I get rid of the rom, I can move the saves freely but it doesn't like me doing it with the rom still in the card.

13. magicmot

magicmot Member

This is a great little device!
    I thought that I had read that this could read PDF files though... I'm not complaining if it can't... just thought it could.
    Also... when I try to load Moonshell I keep getting an error message, can someone post a link to the latest version?

14. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

You'll continue to get the error message, because moonshell does that (EDIT: with the m3), but it doesn't hurt usage at all. As far as pdf files, I don't think so... If I remember correctly the only type of document it can open are .txt.

15. magicmot

magicmot Member

OK.
    Thanks for letting me know.

16. MrWitness

MrWitness Member

Yes, it also happens with version 1.7 (latest) with the m3ds simply.

As an alternative - if you only use the moonshell for music, then you can obtain the DS IPOD player nds file and rename it _DS_MSHL.NDS, copy over the existing file on your card, then the IPOD will boot from the multimedia button on the m3 menu, with no error message !

17. MirageK

MirageK Guest

18. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

That is either corruption of your MicroSD card or your card reader is faulty.

19. TiptonP

TiptonP Member

Hello, I have read all of the threads and still have a problem. I am leaning towards the answer that my microsd card is "WHACK" I bought the m3 simply. I have a dsXtreme card and am giving it to my lil sister after being lured to the m3 simply cause of the memory card usage. ok the problem: I have done everything told to with all different firmware versions both with fat16 and fat32. same result that being when I start the ds up i get the caution screen then "loading..." nothing more it just hangs there. The card is a 2gb transcend microsd (ts2gusb) says that it works on THE LIST of compatible cards. Any ideas or do u think i am right assuming it is the sd card and i should get a new one?

20. LeetNoob

LeetNoob Guest

I'm going to assume that you have followed every step in MrHanky's guide: formatting the card, adding the _system_ folder, adding the NDS dat file and so on. If that is the case, then it could quite possibly be that you do have a "whack" sd card. Truthfully, for me, I thought it was all plug and play so I skipped adding the previously mentioned files. When I did so, I had the same problem. So, if all the files have been added, bad card. if not all files added: blank hanging screen. Double check that all files ARE on. Hopefully you just somehow missed one of the files and that's all you'd need. Good luck