1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer start up question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by crush31, Aug 17, 2004.

1. crush31

crush31 Member

Hello- I am having trouble with my computer at start up. When I shut the computer down and then go to restart it; the system powers up, and I get no video, no beeping sound - but the cpu fan is turning. I have to shut the switch on the power supply to off- wait a minute- turn it back on then hit the power button. I have a soyo M/B and the manual stated to try clearing the CMOS battery. I did this and still have the same problem. Now; in addition- the computer takes longer to boot up and shows an extra screen where it checks the drives. PLEASE HELP! This is driving me crazy- Any help would be greatly appreciated- Thanks!

2. john179

john179 Active member

I had a problem simular to this last night when i was messing about with my bios.So i started up the pc and went in to my bios and set to default mode.Then i shut my pc down took the CMOS battery out conted to 10 and then placed it back in.Bingo all restored back to default i just had to then change the clock time and the date.Have you actually taken the battery out for 10 seconds this is what clears you bios back to default.
    Thanks
    John179

3. crush31

crush31 Member

I took out the battery as you said - for about 15 seconds. It is still doing the same thing. Seems if I turn it on faily soon after I shut it off- It comes on- no problem- but when I went to work and came home; I went to turn it on and I had the same problem. Any other suggestions?

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

It may be a failing PSU. Once they start to go they can cause all sorts of problems especially at powerup :)

5. crush31

crush31 Member

any chance it could be anything else? The computer is only. a couple of months old. thnx

6. john179

john179 Active member

Have you checked in your bios to ensure your memory is set to correct frequancy as this can cause your pc to shut down.

7. crush31

crush31 Member

John, how do I do that?

8. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i had a problem like that with a geforce mx440 video card , it turned out to be a bad video card on my machine , strange thing was i didnt get any bios beeps either , it could be a bad psu too , if you have a spare video card laying around you could try it and see if it powers up, weak psu's act like that some times also .

9. john179

john179 Active member

To get in to your bios just keep pressing the delete button when your pc is booting up.Have a little look around until you come across your memory frequancy.Just check it is set to your correct frequancy.Say you have a 2700 512mb 333mhz memory in then it should be set to 333mhz.You can also try to lower it as my system switches off on 333mhz even though my memory and mob are 333mhz.So i have mine set to 266mhz at the moment.Also you could try your card as mentioned this is another possability.
    John179

10. crush31

crush31 Member

checked everything- looks like it is the NEW video card- anyone know if this is a compatibility issue or a bad card? thnx

11. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

mine was bad right out of the box . have you tried the latest drivers for the card ? no sure about the compatibility part . also does it have its own IRQ ? some times things conflict if they are on the same IRQ .

12. crush31

crush31 Member

Drivers are up to date as far as I can tell. How do I tell if it has it's own IRQ and if it does how do I check the compatibility? Thanks

13. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

what operating system are you using ? if you are using windows xp , you can go to system information and under hardware resources you'll see IRQs , that will give you a list of IRQ'S , find your card in the list and see if its on its own IRQ . i dont know much about the motherboard you are using so you could check your mobo's site for compatibility issues . you might want to test the card in another machine to determine if its bad or not , do you have any cards next to the video card in the machine ? if so try moving it to the next pci slot away from the video card . some times having a card in the pci slot next to the video card causes conflicts . hope this helps .

14. greasygee

greasygee Member

I think the OS and drivers are completely irrelevant, since you are having the problem prior to the OS loading.

If you have an older system that you can pull a viedo card from to test your new system with, this would confirm that the problem lies with the video card.

As far as IRQs go, so long as your BIOS knows that you have a "plug and play" operating system, it leaves IRQ assignment up to the opertaing system. I have seen some newer motherboard that don't ask whether you have a plug and play OS in the BIOS, but verify whether this setting is in your BIOS or not.

Finally, one update that could resolve the issue is a BIOS update. Just go to the web page of the manufacturer of the system (or motherboard if you built the system, and make sure you have the latest BIOS revision. This can resolve many hardware problems.

15. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

a word of advice , if you dont flash the bios correctly or without the correct bios update , you stand the chance of frying the bios chip , if this happens you might as well buy a new mother board . i think the drivers are relevant . do to the fact that in his first post he states it starts does scan disk and takes longer to boot up . the problem here is . there is no video after a restart . a driver may not be loading correctly or may not be the correct one or one that isnt compatible . i suggested trying a different card to try to narrow down if it was the card or not . a bios update very well may correct this problem . i think he figures he has a bad card . which could be the case . i also have seen IRQ issues like this in the past . i have had to assign IRQ'S to different hardware to stop conflicts . i only asked what os was being used to give instructions on where to go to look at the IRQ's . which makes the os relevant. i was trying to start with the basics here to try to determine what exactly is the problem . we all have our opinions . but i dont tell people theirs is not relevant. i add my input and thats it .

16. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Does your MB have on board video besides the video card? If so you have to disable the video on the MB or you will have a conflict between the 2 video systems.

Jerry

17. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

one more point here . he states in the third post down , that if he turns it back on fairly soon after shutting it down it comes back on fine . i dont see anything that suggests this is bios related , do to the fact that it works and than after a period of time it doesnt , also there are no bios related beeps . most bios related problems will give a bios beep and there is none here . i still think it may be a bad card or a driver issue . or other conflicting hardware .

18. nomearod

nomearod Guest

Hi. I'm new here and have a similar problem. My PSU doesn't have an on/off switch. The error still occurs even if I unplug then replug the PC. My motherboard is a Biostar M7VKG.

The booting up takes longer each day. There was also a day that it was already on for around half an hour and it still won't boot. PC lights are on, PC fans are turning, IDE drives seem to have no power because the CD drive doesn't open.

Before I had this problem, my problem was constant restarting. I already fixed that by replacing the memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

19. crush31

crush31 Member

Hello all. Thanks for all the help. I emailed Chaintech and they said the card was bad- so I'm working on getting a replacement. Thanks for all the help!

20. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

let us know how every thing works out for you after you get your new card . glad to hear you are getting some where with your issue .