1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero And XP Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Alanj72, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

It has been awhile since I had burned a movie DVD, and, actually, awhile since I've recorded on DVD period!!
    Having said that, I bought a movie ( Butterfly Effect) and wanted to make a personal copy. I used DVD Shrink and, as usual, went to burn the image with Nero 6.0. Using Ritek 8X media I attempted to burn at 4X and got all the way to the "lead out" and got FAILED. Another try and it failed from the start. I did get a message from Nero saying that there was a compatabilty problem with XP Service Pack 2 ( which I just installed), but otherwise proceeded in my usual manner. I have a Pioneer DVR-107d. Am I just having bad luck? Or is the Service Pack affecting me? It doesn't seem as though it should.
    Any ideas? Appreciate VERY much before I make more coasters than I have coffee cups.
    Thanks

2. brobear

brobear Guest

You may want to record with an RW disc until you get the problem solved. Save those coasters.

Can't help with SP2; I haven't gone there yet.

3. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

You've have a valid point!! I have some RW's and I'll do some "fiddling" around. This forum has been tops in solving some issues I had some while back. I might have jumped the gun with SP2 anyway, whether or not this has anything to do with my problem.
    Thanks

4. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  5. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

it appears nero 6 is no longer on that list , it was on that list as of wednesday of this week , the list changes daily . i personally am waiting to download and install the sp2 because of all the trouble i have been hearing people have after installing it .

7. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

Usually I do my homework, but sometimes I blindly run into things I shouldn't.
    Here's something very strange, though. I used an RW disk and after everything went fine, it got hung up on "lead out". I cancelled the job, but then checked the DVD and it seems to be OK. Played it on my home DVD player and it works.
    Then I tried the Ritek R and I immediately got a power calibration error. I had this in the past but overcame it ( new IDE cable). So now I'm totally confused ----again. I'll keep working on it.

8. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

I am using xp service pack 2 and have burned a few dvds with nero and i havent had a single problem. Install of xp sp2 went like a dream and very very stable

9. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

Well, That's good information. Chances are I'm experiencing some other problem. Funny it's not the exact same problem each time I try. I had recently crashed my whole hard drive and put everything back in from a clean install. So this is the first time I had actually tried making a dvd since then.
    Wonder why I got hung up on the "lead out" part with Nero with an RW dvd, but it came out ok. And then having power calibration when using a regular DVD. When things happen to me---they happen BIG time!!

10. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

the link i posted above gets changed daily as microsoft fixes issues with the service pack . wednesday of this past week nero 6 was on the list of programs with compatibility issues . it looks like them problems have been corrected because it is no longer on the list . as for your problems you have now they may not be related to the service pack at all . someone with more time with nero might beable to help you with this issue . is your firmware up to date for your burner ? are your drivers for your system up to date ? some times updating your firmware improves compatibility with different media .

11. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

Just as a matter of interest where did you get your service pack 2 from? is it the final build?

12. animedrag

animedrag Member

Alanj72, i'm curious as to what is the compression ratio that dvd shrink give the butterfly effect.

13. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

Well, an update. I DID finally get a good copy. I didn't do anything different. I got, I believe, about 59% compression. I also noticed that DVD Shrink had some "extra's" added on since I last used it. Like some kind of quality compression adjustment or something. I used those settings which took quite a while ( as it said).
    Probnlem is, I can't be sure my next burn will be ok. Well, I've learned a lot---mostly from this forum---the difference between CD and DVD burning. Night and day!!

14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You'd be surprised how long it takes some folks to realize that :)

15. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

Ha ha !! Yes, for sure!!
    I first started my DVD burn career with a "power calibration" error that drove me crazy. Someone in this forum ( that's when I started here looking for help) mentioned my IDE cable. He called it something like 80 pin, but it was 40 pin, but with an extra wire(?) for each pin to do something like make the "transfer" more clean. That's not how he said it, but I had no idea what he meant. I figured he went too far in trying to nail my problem down. But I found a local dealer who had one so I tried it. And I'll be darned if everything went fine after that. I would have NEVER figured that out.

16. actech

actech Regular member

alan,
    if possible let us know if you burn an other with no problem. i was ready to try to download sp2 when i read your post, now im not sure.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

One of my friends, who happens to be and IT engineer, played 'crash dummy' and loaded the SP2 pack. He said most of the changes are security oriented. He hasn't had any problems from it as far as recording is concerned. He has some of the 321 software, which can be touchy in regard to system environment, and he had no trouble on that front. Most people suggest though, that consumers should wait for Microsoft to make the necessary updates available at their update site. They will provide the parts needed for a particular OS, and suggest any that may be optional. I've been told that all of the SP2 pack may not be necessary.

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's why I've no interest in it until I absolutely need some part of it if ever :)

19. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

I will certainly keep you updated on my next attempt at burning ( which I will give a shot at tonight). As for SP2, It does appear to be all security oriented, so it says. Is it using more system resources, giving me the "power calibration" error one time and not again?
    I'll have to concede it was not a good thing to download the service pack right away, anyway. I also found an alternative site to download it seeing my automatic update wouldn't do it. Either my zone alarm or Adsubtract program stops me from doing that at the site. I have to shut them down to look at the updates. And then it says to wait for the "automatic" update to do it. So, I would have to stop those programs from running to do this ( which I never had to do before.

20. PRoBiS

PRoBiS Member

I have been experiencing an issue with SP2 and Nero6 Ultra for some time now. Everywhere I look seems the ones who ARE having problems are running Pioneer drives. Of cource thats not saying much as so many people opt to buy the popular high rated devices.

I continue to receive BAD_POOL_HEADER STOP:0x19(0x20) when I try to initiate either the audio or data moduals within Nero; oddly enough Vision and Recode work just fine- compile the project and burn the disc without error. To digress, the audio and data function within Nero will BSoD my system within seconds of launching the exe; I dont even get a gui before im hung out to dry.

I have completley reinstalled Windows w/SP1- no problem; everything works well-- reinstalled Windows w/SP2 all goes to hell once again (and we are talking clean with Nero). Again, reinstalled Windows w/SP2 and installed Nero then patched with current update from Ahead- ~NADA~

I really dont know what to do or think at this point; guess I'll read the rest of the posts on this topic- seem to be quite a few. Maybe someone figured out something other then the obvious (beyond the given troubleshooting one would partake in)

Any info is greatly appericiated-
    Thankx,
    PRo-
    Standing by...

[SYSTEM]
    OS: [Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2, v.2180 Final (5.1 - 2600)]
    CPU: [2-Intel Pentium 4 (HyperThreading), 2806MHz, 512KB ]
    MoBo: [Abit IC7-G MaxII Adv. 800MHz]
    Vid: [ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO]
    Mon: [Sony HS-Series 19" Flat Panel LCD]
    Scr: [1280x1024 32bit 75Hz]
    RAM: [1024MB Corsair XMS TwinX]