1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning MPEG2 to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gmbruin, Aug 22, 2004.

1. gmbruin

gmbruin Member

I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly. Any video file that I have whether it's an MPEG2, AVI or Divx (Mpeg4) needs to be "demuxed" into a seperate audio and video (VOB) file before I can burn it onto a DVD-/+R that will play on most set top DVD players?

I found a trial version of WinAVI that will convert MPEG2 / AVI into VOB files which I can then burn with Nero, but the quality on the trial version didn't look too good.

I have looked pretty extensively through the forums here and on other video / DVD authoring sites and haven't been able to find a simplier solution.

It just doesn't make sense to me that I can't take an MPEG2 or AVI file that is well below the 4.7GB limit on a DVD-/+R and burn it so that I can watch it on my living room DVD player.

Any help is greatly appreciated - Thanks!

2. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

I use Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator 6 (now updated to Roxio Easy Media Creator 7) and it lets me import AVI and a number of other file types. If you insist on changing to VOB here is a guide that can help:

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/avi2dvdr.htm

3. Veblin

Veblin Active member

If your MPEG-2 file is DVD compliant then all you need to do is author the DVD. TMPGEnc DVD Author Or DVDlab are good choices.

For other types of files they need to be encoded so they are DVD compliant MPEG-2 before they can be authored. TMPGEnc, Main Concept, Cinema Craft, Canopus all make MPEG encoders.

NeroVision Express will encode and author all in one step but the encoder is not as good as a separate one like above. WinAVI also encodes and authors all in one step but but the encoder is not as good as a separate one like above and it has no menu creation abilities in the authoring process.

4. john179

john179 Active member

I use unlead dvd movie maker to burm mpeg to dvd.It is really easy to use software.I also use tmpgenc but my preffered chioce is ulead.I have also started to use Nerovision express which is pretty easy as well.All the programes will give you good results.There is some good guides on this site which well help you with some of these programes including this link below.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm

Thanks
    John179

5. gmbruin

gmbruin Member

Thanks nick2005, veblin and john179. I'm still having trouble with a few things:

If I use AVICodec to see how my video file is encoded, how can I tell if an MPEG2 file is DVD compliant?

When using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 I can import a video file that is 750MB. EMC7 will let me preview the file, but when I try to burn it to a DVD it tells me that there isn't enough space on the media. When I use a smaller file (i.e. under 699MB) it will let me burn the disc, but it's not an "autoplay" disc - meaning that when you put it in the DVD player you get a screen with a "chapter" like button that you have to select and then your video will play. it works, but it's an extra step I'd like to do without.

Nero 6 Ultra tries to sell me a "win-dvd" upgrade in order to use AVI / MPEG2 files and that's only with SVCDs, I can't use anything but VOBs for DVD files.

I wouldn't mind using TMPGEnc, ulead or DVDlab, but I've already shelled out some cash for programs that were supposed to work in the first place.

Sorry if I sound frustrated. I do appreciate all the help so far.

Thanks again for any advice.

6. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

When burning with Roxio, are you sure that you have it set so you are burning to a DVD and not a VCD or SVCD? Look at the settings to make sure. If not, you can use DVD2One 1.5.1 to make the file fit onto the DVD, although it should fit without compression. Anyway, you can download DVD2One at http://www.dvd2one.com/

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004