1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. marcpod

marcpod Guest

I belong to audible.com and download audio books, my question is there any programs that converts .aa files to mp3's so I can load the files to my creative zen player. I really don't want to buy a I-pod.

Thanks Marc

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009
  3. marcpod

marcpod Guest

THANK YOU VERY MUCH I WILL GIVE IT A TRY

4. Abid2

Abid2 Member

Hi, Jeanc1 or marcpod

I'm having the same problem converting audible books into MP3 files.

The latest River Past Audio Converter doesn't work anymore - only versions 5.0-5.11 do and I can't seem to locate any old copies on the net. Any chance someone can post the older working software here for download?

Cheers and thanks very much.

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Eeeeeps !! you cant put your email on a post ~~smiles !

Maybe best you PM --> marcpod and talk with him for that older version ! Unfortunately for you, I took that off my personal PC last week ; didnt need it anymore !

But am surprised River Past would have downgraded the abilities of that software -- you sure you not doing something wrong ??

Regards !

6. marcpod

marcpod Guest

I have the older version you are welcome to it but the only way to send it ftp site it to large for email I think if you know another way let me know Marc

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Maybe you can both get ICQ -- It's a real handy way to move files around -- you can send as big as you want !

Thanks marcpod for picking up the thread !

8. marcpod

marcpod Guest

Hello Jeanc 1

I am not sure what ICQ is sorry

Thanks Marc

9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Marc --- ICQ is used by over 50 million people in the world ! It is a personal way of communicating with others ! Once you have installed and registered , you can add your buddy after he has done the same -- then you can exchange any size files in real time. A few years back ICQ was very primitive and left to be desired -- Now it is reliable and safe enough to become the choice of people and companies to communicate all over the world -- and it is FREE !

Have a look at :- http://www.icq.com/

10. Abid2

Abid2 Member

Thanks guys for responding. Still looking for a working copy...

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  11. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Can someone send version 5.0-5.11 to the following address?

[bold]<NOPOSTINGEMAILS@AFTERDAWN.COM>
    READ THE FORUM RULES!!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/bold] (it'a 100mb's)

I need to convert some aa files (Audible) myself to mp3 format then split them into 1 hour pieces since the original aa files I bought only allow me to burn 1 copy of a program I bought & downloaded. You can burn 3 or 4 extra discs then no more after that.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  12. zacmax

zacmax Member

I would very much appreciate a copy of one of the old versions. Any kind donor can send it to [bold]<NOPOSTINGEMAILS@AFTERDAWN.COM>
    READ THE FORUM RULES!!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/bold]and I'd be forever grateful.
    My mailbox will accept it. It's not large at all, of course.

I just now bought the current RiverPast Audio Converter expressly for converting Audible.com programming to MP3 so I can listen to it on a Rio Cali, but the converter doesn't recognize .aa files, I found. I've been creating MP3 files by burning CDs and then ripping them--a lengthy, labor-intensive procedure. I've also played them overninght and recorded them in real time with GoldWave, an even more tedious process, though you don't have to attend to it once you set it going.

Audible.com is a great service, but somebody's going to imitate them and leave out the paranoia and take business from them. I don't steal from them, and I'd gladly pay for this converter too. I just want to be able to use a waterproof flash-memory player.

Dawn

13. bratcher

bratcher Active member

"I would very much appreciate a copy of one of the old versions. Any kind donor can send it to [bold]<NOPOSTINGEMAILS@AFTERDAWN.COM>
    READ THE FORUM RULES!!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/bold] and I'd be forever grateful.
    My mailbox will accept it. It's not large at all, of course."

I just sent you the older version that was sent to me yesterday.

Audible is great but I prefer to burn CDR's & either play them in my car or on the home stereo when I'm not playing the file on the computer. The problem is you can burn one complete copy with 3 or 4 extra discs & thats it. If a disc gets scratched (so it won't play) then I have to figure out which 77 minute segment (on the 80 minute disc) to use. It seems the CD's made by the software are copy protected but they can be ripped to a hard drive.

I'm not trying to rip off Audible either. Just want to get around that (so many discs) limitation. audioconverter_setup.exe plus audacity (to split the file into 80 minute segments) should do plus my Nero Burning Rom program...

14. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

15. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I found out a few things about the audio convert program...

You need the Audible filter for Media Player installed on your system.

Play around with the output bit rates until it sounds right to you. Use mono output. Stereo should work but I haven't tried it. Mono would be a smaller file.

Type 1 file is 8khz output

Type 4 is 64khz output

I'd guess type 2 is 16khz & type 3 is 32kz.

I was using CD quality (44.1khz & 64khz) for a type 4 file & it sounded great in Winamp & Media Player but then I really like the type 4 quality for CDR burning as it sounds best to my ears.

Oh & don't forget the Lame file...

Set your output to something other than where your Audible files are located. Your limited to two minutes of conversion until you buy the program.

Have fun with the older version!

16. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Note to moderator...

Thanks for the "no email address" posting reminder. I won't forget!

17. zacmax

zacmax Member

Thanks very much, bratcher, for the copy. I look forward to using it when I get home to the computer that took your email.

I apologize to the moderator and other forum members for posting my email address. I thought I saw another post like mine requesting copies of the defunct software needed to convert from .aa to .mp3, and I followed suit. I should've read the rules, and I'm embarrassed that I didn't.

Anyway, bless bratcher's generous heart for the application. I didn't know he or she had sent it last night, and I fooled around and discovered something I should've known: You *can* convert .aa files to *.wma* files of all densities (levels of fidelity), using ordinary converters. The Rio Cali plays Windows audio. In fact, it's the default format, and the manual says you have to procure a plug-in to play MP3s. That wasn't true in my case. The Cali was ready to play either format when I got it.

But the point is, I'll be able now to load it with converted Audible.com material of approximately the same size and quality as native .aa files without having to rip Audible.com CDs. All you folks may have known this all along, but I didn't.

Wow, this is getting long, but this next item might interest some of you. I have one computer that's mainly a dedicated jukebox connected to an Elan whole-house sound system-intercom-doorbell-DBX phone system. We like to do stuff around the house and out in the backyard while listening to books. We control all our entertainment gear with universal remotes and IR receivers in every room, but we couldn't control playback from the "jukebox," the computer. We've been burning CDs from Audible Manager for a carousel changer. That makes it possible to back up and hear a section you didn't get, but it's a bit of bother. Of course, we can use the CDs in a car. But we don't travel together in our cars very much. I listen to the Rio Cali while running and cycling, and we listen together around the house.

What we needed was a way to navigate the computer by remote control, and Creative's Audigy2 NX gives you that capability (plus great sound and a lot of other great features). The only catch was that there seems to be no way to play Audible content on RealPlayer or Windows Media Player and control those players, except to pause and resume. Creative's tech advisers agree. Sometimes you need rewind and fast forward.

Fortunately, the supplied remote navigates Creative's own player. You just have to use converted files, not .aa files, because Creative MediaSource Player won't play them.

Another reason to convert, as others have mentioned, is MP3 CDs. Thanks to bratcher, we'll be able to do that too now.

Gee, this has gotten long, but I want to say that RiverPast is refunding the cost of its converter, and I'll certainly destroy my copy. I already had four converters, but I wouldn't take the refund and use their product, even if I didn't have one. I commend them for their policy. hey, Audible.com, are you paying attention? Most of us are honest. Protect yourself from thieves, but put more emphasis on customer saisfaction. I wonder if Audible.com could prevail if it sued RiverPast. It would be like suing the makers of skeleton keys, nost of which are sold as replacements for lost keys. Professional criminals will always find ways to break in!

Dawn

18. zacmax

zacmax Member

I do have a conscience, but I also have an addled brain. I was slow to realize what I'm doing by accepting emailed copies of the converter from two good people (whose names I won't mention, since they may not use them on the forum) and then letting RiverPast refund the cost of the one I downloaded yesterday. RiverPast can't help it that it had to remove the capability of converting .aa files, and I can't rationalize that the copies you nice guys sent are just public property now that they are obsolete.

I'm right now about to tell RiverPast to keep the money. They deserve it. They earned it. You guys paid for it when it was current, and it's good of you to share them. I commend that. I encourage it. I'll give people copies myself if I have the occasion. It's too bad RiverPast isn't able to profit from their defunct software, but I have to admit that if I hadn't already paid them for the current version, it probably wouldn't occur to me to order it from them as a way to compensate for their loss imposed by Audible.com's intimidation by attorney.

19. zacmax

zacmax Member

John Huang, emailing me from RiverPast, just thanked me for my "kind words" but said the refund for the Audio Converter had already been processed. He said RiverPast wouldn't accept anything from me. Talk about a class act! I'm going to go through their catalog and see if they don't sell some application I can use.

Dawn

20. x-user

x-user Member