1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sync in .avi files

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by dioevang, Aug 24, 2004.

1. dioevang

dioevang Guest

Hi, I'm having a problem. The audio of many .avi files in my computer is out of sync with the video.

I'm not talking about converting them to .mpg. This happens when I play these .avi on Divx.

What could be causing this problem ? Lack of resources from my computer or some missing codec ?

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

could be a missing codec, could be a codec conflict or it could even be the avi file itself. your best bet is to uninstall any codec packs if you have any installed and just install the codecs that you need

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Mick offers good advice; it is probably the AVI itself.
    Whoever makes the backup AVI must synch it (or are you saying they playback synch'ed on other peoples PCs but not yours?)
    Re-interleave the AVI using VirtualDub, or VDubMod, or NanDub.
    Advance or retard the audio so it is synch'ed at the beginning of program.
    If synch is lost as program progresses, adjust video framerate to achieve synch at end of program.
    If it's synch'ed at beginning and end, but wanders in the middle, you're bunned and not much you can do.
    Make sure both A & V set to 'direct stream copy'.
    Preload 500ms, interleave every 10 frames for CBR or AC3. Best to interleave VBR every frame.
    Hell, if you don't know what the audio is then just interleave every frame (file will be slightly bigger).
    Job is not as hard as it sounds - I can re-interleave an AVI in about 40 seconds...
    It is the trial-and-error that's time-consuming.
    Write down exactly what you do, then check result.
    Discard result if NFG, always work from original every time. Sooner (or later) you will get it as good as it gets - then pitch the original.
    And do yourself a favour, write the new file to a different drive (or at least directory) so nothing overwrites ;-)
    If you read from one hd and write to another, it is quicker (and, much easier on the drives).
    Let us know how you get along...
    Mick is that your photo?

4. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

if the audio from your source is really out of sync then i feel for you, syncing audio is a tedious bitch of a job to get right.....goodluck ;)

HAHA...no, yourve never heard of jay and silent bob?? your missing out if you havent m8 ;)

cheerz

5. dioevang

dioevang Guest

I think I found out what it is.

Apparently, this is intentional. 'Cause when you encode de file, the .mpg has a perfect synch.