1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows ME problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jazz!?, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Jazz!?

Jazz!? Guest

hi...
    Got a small problem, i've seen you guys posting like pro's so i decided here would be the best place to get help..

I started up one of my really old computers... It came up with the Windows me welcome screen and then went on to:

Normal boot,
    Safe Mode
    Bottlog.txt - or somthing like that
    and one other thing

whenever i enter on any one of them it either restarts the computer or takes me to a blue screen saying that there is a windows protection error. How do i access windows???... any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

3. Jazz!?

Jazz!? Guest

I need to make a windows me startup disc to continue the steps listed on the microsoft site... I'm using windows XP and i do not have any other windows ME computers. How to i make the windows me startup disc? plz help... thanks

4. SparkeyNi

SparkeyNi Member

5. Jazz!?

Jazz!? Guest

hey thanks for the site.. its really useful but the only thing is i don't know which one to download, and how to use it.

6. SparkeyNi

SparkeyNi Member

If your following info from the m/soft website i suggest you download the windows me oem file.it will download by default to your my documents folder. Once the file has downloaded place a blank floppy into your A: drive go to your my documents folder and d/click on the file that says bootme.exe it should then copy to the floppy, now leave the floppy in the a: drive and reboot.

7. Jazz!?

Jazz!? Guest

hey thanks... it worked and you saved me from throwing that computer away! This is the best help i've had on this topic so far.

However... if its not too much of a trouble...
    How do i stop this problem from happening again?

8. Jazz!?

Jazz!? Guest

9. SparkeyNi

SparkeyNi Member

Your system makes a backup of your registry each day it is booted up the problem with this is some registry faults can take a while to surface so you’re system could be making a copy of an already corrupt registry

I would advice you to make a manual backup of you’re registry which you can restore in dos if windows won’t load.

Or

You could use software like Norton Ghost to make an image of you’re drive which you can either save to cd, dvd or a partition on you’re hdd. It is best to image you’re drive when you know you’re system is running with no errors. Follow the links below for more info:

http://www.ez-pc.org/default.asp?midx=204&didx=3
    http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/kbasewinme.htm
    http://www.farthingdesign.demon.co.uk/npcug/nb_ghost.htm