1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wacky A: Drive, please help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by volrathsn, Aug 25, 2004.

1. volrathsn

volrathsn Member

My problem really isnt a problem more than an incredible annoyance, but i would still like to fix it becuase its driving me nuts! For some reason everytime i open anything like a folder, nero, or a new web browser, my computer tries to access the a drive. This is a new thing my computer has been doing, within the last few days. I scanned for viruses and adware figuring that could be a reason, but still its doing it. I usually just end up uninstalling it from my system because it annoys the hell out of me...any help is appreciated

2. SniperFox

SniperFox Guest

Simple question first. Have you installed any new programs lately or any new windows updates? It sounds like a program is conflicting. A bad program or update can cause many problems, such as using your cpu at 100% when not necessary or programs not functioning right.

3. volrathsn

volrathsn Member

no, no new programs have been installed. However i noticed when i restart it goes to zlclient.exe looking for the a drive, which is zone alarm, so naturally i uninstalled it to see if that was the problem. Next reboot, i get the same thing, but this time from userinit.exe. Not really sure why any of this is happening, it just happened one day after a reboot.

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

I would look at your path statement in your environment to see if anything is referencing anything on the a: drive. It should be in Control Panel under System, Advanced Tab, Environment Variables. There should be a place there to set the directories and drive in your path.

Also make sure that you don't have a shortcut set to use the floppy drive.

5. volrathsn

volrathsn Member

would there be an easy way to find out if any of my shortcuts may have accidently gotten changed to access the floppy?