1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Samsung SP1614N

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by alao, Aug 25, 2004.

1. alao

alao Guest

I just bought a Samsung SP1614N and i am experiencing problems with it. This shall be my second hard drive, my first being a Wester Digital 80 GB HD. Windows only recognizes 32 GB of the 160 GB it should read. I tried flashing my Bios but for some reason, when i boot up to DOS, my DOS doesn't recognize my C: drive, i try switching drives but it doesn't let me. I ran this program on the Samsung website called Disk Manager and the program does recognize the hard drive as a 160 GB drive, but when i restart the computer, windows still only recognizes 32 GB. any help would be appreciated.

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

IMO i wouldnt buy a Samsung drive, that aside.

It seems like that you have an older motherboard that only supports ATA33, and doesnt support the new ATA100 which is what the 160G hard drive is.

You can buy a Hard Disk Controller Card and put that into your PC to run the hard drive.

Or on the Hard Drive there could be a jumper that has Limit Drive to 30G or something similar. If there is a jumper on that, take it off and see if that works.

How old is your computer ?
    What motherboard do you have in it ?

CJC