1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2612

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Budz, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Budz

Budz Member

Hi all,

I have a problem with my "Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2612" it won't read CD's or DVD's. Power is available, i can eject the drive using both hardware and software.
    Im using Windows XP pro on my notebook (service pack 1)

Under 'device manager' it says "This device is working properly.".

I have contacted toshiba they told me to do a 'data flush' whatever that means (something with the IDE cable which i don't know how to do with a notebook) If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. I have warranty on the notebook but i moved to another country (Invalid).

Thanx....hope some1 out there knows whats going on with this drive.

2. Budz

Budz Member

Wow what can I say.....thanx for all ur replies. very helpful.

Come on there must be at least one person out there that can help me....plzzz

Thank you.
    Budz

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You start off with a snide comment like that and then you expect help? None of us work here champ and are under no obligation to help anyone, we do it for our own enjoyment. Snap your fingers at paid tech support not us.

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

4. Budz

Budz Member

1. Sorry about the snide comment. Frustration thats all.

2. Thank you for your reply.

I have followed all the instructions you have given without avail. :(

Please find below some info from nero info tool.

Drive Information
    ------------------
    Drive : TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2612
    Type : DVD-ROM Drive
    Firmware Version : 1D15
    Buffer Size : 192 KB
    Date : 05-31-02
    Serial Number
    Vendor Specific : 05/31/02
    Drive Letter : D:\
    Mechanism : Tray
    Read Speed : 24 , 20 , 16 , 6 X
    Write Speed : n/a
    Mount Rainier : No
    Modes : n/a

Region Protection Control : RPC II
    Region : 2
    Changes User : 3
    Changes Vendor : 4

Adapter 2
    ---------
    Description : Secondary IDE Channel

Driver
    Description : System32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
    Company : Microsoft Corporation
    Version : 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver

Attached Devices
    Description : Master: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2612
    Type : CD-Rom Drive
    DMA : On
    Autorun : On

I dont know why it says 'type : CD-Rom Drive' when its a DVD-ROM drive. Plus that Direct Memory Access (DMA) is on....is it supposed to be?

I beginning to suspect the drive itself is faulty (hardware problem...oh no).

What a headache with a laptop.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks again for your help, hope you didn't take offense to my previous frustration.

look forward to hearing from you again.

regards,
    budz

5. Nephilim

No worries.

Normally I'd say to test the drive in another PC but seeing as it's a laptop that isn't an easy option. How old is the drive?

It's a long shot but an ASPI reinstall might do the trick. Here's a link to the download and instructions:

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

The link can be temperamental so if it doesn't work right away keep trying it.

6. Budz

Budz Member

The notebook is about 8 months old. The problem is its under warranty in the UK country (I moved). urrgghh.

Thanx alot for your help....but i think its a hardware problem....nothing seems to be working.

7. Nephilim

ASPI didn't help?

8. Budz

Budz Member

My brother left the country for 3 months and has taken the laptop with him ....

im not sure on how to uninstall and reinstall the ASPI....i downloaded it, and have just done an install....without an uninstall of the previous one! My brother lacks simple computer knowledge so it won't be any use until he come back at the end of december.

Thank you so much for your help....please send me details about the ASPI ill save them and do it when he brings it back!

Take care.

9. Nephilim

All the instructions are at the link I gave you ;)

10. mabeken

mabeken Member

Hi,

I have the same problem. I am wondering if it has something to do with the way the drive sits in my notebook. I have done all the above, removed and re-insatlled drivers, taken the drive out and put it back, and so on and so on. Once I have reinstalled the drivers, and rebooted it works. I tried getting new drivers from the Dell site, but you need a floppy connected to the machine at the same time as the DVD.

I haven't given up yet.

11. Nephilim

How do you mean? The actual physical position of the drive?

Not permanently I take it?

12. mabeken

mabeken Member

No, I mean that I can get it to work at my desk or at my house. But the next time I try I have usually driven or travelled with the notebook. I was thinking that the way the drive sits in the bay of the notebook might have something to do with it. Shaking around in my car (although I have a relatively new car and not a bone shaker). One thing is sure that when I uninstall all drivers, reboot, and Windows says "You have new hardware and you have to re-boot to get this sucker to work" and I have rebooted, it does seem to work.

When I have not used the drive for a day or so, in Explorer, I see D: listed as a DVD. When I put a disk in it, the disk spins for about 5 seconds and the spinning gets faster. Then just as you expect it to spin more and to Autoplay, it stops and clicking on D: you get the dialog "No disk present". Going through the above routine of re-installing everything, then it works.

Could it have anything to do with Daemon tools? I seem to have some SCSI devices present which must be from Daemon.

Humm.. things to think about over the weekend.

Thanks for any and all thoughts and suggestions

13. mike007

mike007 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2004
  14. CJC

CJC Regular member

When you right click and go properties on the drive in device manager, what error number and message is displayed?

CJC

15. mike007

mike007 Guest

16. Jaxwrites

Jaxwrites Member

Hi all, i read all of the above with great interest. I have a brand new HP compaq nz9110 laptop with this drive installed. Now it reads and plays dvd's and cd's fine. Now this is where I may have egg over my face but am assured (by our network administrator who bought it and put it together) that it is also a RW drive. From what i have found i can't see anywhere where it says it is a RW drive but when I did a search on the web it did seem this drive is also a write drive.

So if it is - I cannot seem to get the drive to read a blank rwcd as the whole point of having this drive was to back up photo's from the server which is located in another island from where i work.

it comes up with '

Disk is nt formatted. Windows cannot read from this disk - the disk might be corupted, or it could be using a format that is not combatible with windows.'

So i right click to format but it does not come up with this option and with my VERY limited techo knowledge this also bought me to the conclusion perhaps this is not a RW drive. But was assured by our administrator that is was and I was doing something wrong and i should be able to just drag and drop - Yeah Right.

Anyway thought i'd try everything on this thread just in case but has not helped.

Anyone have any ideas. And Can anyone tell me 100% this is NOT a RW drive cause that is all i can imagine at this point and that I have been mislead by my HO.

And that will be another thread!

Thanks in advance for any help. Forgive me if this is a really simple like Duh! question. But i'm a writer not a computer person and all i want to do is backup photo's and word files. Should be simple.

Oh. And on my last pc i could do this, did use nero and had no problem.

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

jax, your dvd rom if a toshiba sd-c2612 is most certainly a burner according to this link http://www.netcomusadirect.com/tosd8xatslli.html, what burner program do you have on the laptop. i boobed, didn't read last word in my link: compatible. so your drive is a dvd rom not burner

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  18. Budz

Budz Member

Hi Jax,

If you have the Toshiba sd-c2612, you do NOT have a CD-RW or DVD+-RW, it is simply a DVD-ROM which allows you to read CD's and DVD's hence no recording software is provided with the notebook.

I hope this has clarified the confusion.

All the best.

19. Jaxwrites

Jaxwrites Member

hi and thanks for that. I was beginning to think I was going mad when my head office administrator assured me it was a rw drive! I will be having words as when I put the order in I specified a rw drive so it will be interesting to see what happens. Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

cheers
    :))

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

let us know what he says