1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seagate 200 gig hardrive wont defrag ?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dlc2000, Aug 28, 2004.

1. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

here is my problem . i have a seagate 200 gig harddrive that is about 3 months old . i have been using diskeeper 8.0 for about a year and 2 months now with no problems until just 2 days ago .
    diskeeper will defrag my os drive which is a 40 gig seagate without a problem . diskeeper used to defrag the 200 gig without a problem but now it wont complete the defrag . i have the 200 gig partitioned in half , 95 gigs per . i use one half for all my program back ups and the half for movie and music storage .
    no matter how long i let it defrag on the 200 gig it will not complete . it doesnt matter what partition either . i have ran the check disk tool and that completes fine . scan disk works fine and it finds no errors on the disk . ive checked that it is in dma mode and it is . i have uninstalled diskeeper and used the defragmenter that came with xp and it too wont defrag it . reinstalled diskeeper and same problem . i have always been able to defrag all my drives without a problem until now .
    is this drive on its way out ? is there some thing wrong with the drive that is causing this ? i have not made any hardware changes to affect this so this has me stumped . one more thing its on the primary ide channel as the slave drive . it always has been and always has worked fine until now . i can access the data on the drive no problem and i can transfer files to it no problem . i just cant defrag it . thats the only problem . should i start shopping for a new drive ? one other thing all of my drives are 7200 rpm drives if that makes any difference .

2. john179

john179 Active member

As you use this drive mainly for storage i would back up all on the drive you want to keep.Then i would re format the drive by using low format.This will erase all errors not detected then your drive should be like new.There is no need to purchase another drive.It probably has a small error which is not being detected beacuase it is a big drive.Sometimes errors are not always easy to find so this would sort your problem out.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there dlc2000, Welcome to aD -

I have some other options for you :)

As I've just finished with a problem with Western Digital (a 200GB HD) I took the liberty of heading to Seagate's Home Page and found the following -

Seagate products have a Limited Warrantee of 5 years. That means they will do a replacement of your HD free of charge.

There are several options.
    1st. If you ship them your HD, upon receipt, They'll ship you a new one back.
    2nd. With a credit card, they'll ship you one first and you'll have 30-days to ship yours back. If they get yours within 30-days, they won't bill your card. If you don't ship yours, you'll get billed.

They also have a pretty good support system too. I saw some proggys in their support section that should help – give them a shot :)

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

As my friend Jerry already told you, you can do a low level format.

I'd try their support first –

Good luck,

Pete

4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

thanks for the replies guys , im baffled a little bit on reformatting the drive cause how could it have the same problem on both partitions . it wont defrag either of the partitions . it would be strange for both partitions to have errors on them . that is why im thinking the drive has some thing wrong with it . im gonna do the reformat any how as the tools that i have from seagates site dont do any good . them tools came with the drive , so i have already tried them before posting here .
    i really and truly think the drive has a problem . one or the other partition should defrag , but neither will . it always worked great and than all of sudden it wont defrag . i hope a reformat fixes the problem but im doubtful cause i cant see both partitions being messed up . the reformat is my last option and if it doesnt work its going back ! good thing i have quite a few dvd rw's for backing up all the data on the drive . i would need alot cdr's to back this drive up if i didnt have the dvd rw's . i really thank you guys and i will try what you both suggested .

5. john179

john179 Active member

Thanks for the name change there Pete but i will stick with the present one.Yep it must have been getting late in the night as i even thought i was Jerry.

Thanks
    John179

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

well i reformatted the drive and ripped some movies to it and some mp3's and tried to defrag it and it will not defrag still . i let it go for 10 hours on one 95 gig partition and it never got over 1 percent on the defrag . im thinking the drive has a problem even after running the seagate tools that say there are no errors . for some reason it will not defrag no matter what i do ! i think the drive is junk ! scubapete what kind of price did you get on your western digital 200 gig ? i dont think i want another seagate drive after this problem . if they go bad with only 3 months of use,i dont want another one .

7. john179

john179 Active member

I think you will find that this will be a one off has seagate are normally good drives.I have 2 x 120gb drives one seagate and one maxtor.Both are really good drives with the seagate probably a slighty better drive.Western digital drives are good drives as well of which the 3 manufactors i mention are all normally realiable drives.