1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nerovision Express 2 Transcoding Problems

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Hywel, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Hywel

Hywel Member

I've just got NeroVision Express 2 (as part of the Nero 6.3 suite) and I'm having a problem with it.

I set up my DVD and add all the files, create all the chapters etc, then I get to the actual transcoding process which seems to be working fine. I then leave my PC to let it tinker on at its own pace as many of you may know that this process takes some time. After about 3 hours or so later the program has shut itself down with no sign of a finished transcoded DVD.

I'm running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 installed, the very latest patches from Ahead for Nero 6 & NVE2 are installed. All drivers are upto date. My PC is an Athlon XP 1800 with 1Gb Ram, 80Gb HDD (over 50Gb free), nVidia Ti4400 GeForce card. The largest project I've managed to burn sucessfully is 1Gb. Anything larger and it seems to run out of memory and close down without a trace.

On the Ahead website, it inidicates that this problem was fixed in a previous patch but this clearly isn't the case. I've contacted their support several times but yet to receive a reply.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I personally would suggest that you Not use Nero Vision Express at all...Vision Express is well Known for useing one of the Lowest quality mpeg Encoders ever created and will allways create substandard Quality DVD/VCD/SVCD"s.....
    I suggest you get a real mpeg Encoder to convert your Files to the Correct Mpeg2 format and then use something else to author the Files to DVD because even if your Files are allready 100% DVD Compliant Vision Express will Still re-encode the Files and Ruin the Quality, That is another reason that Vision Express sucks eggs....

3. Hywel

Hywel Member

Are there any real mpeg encoders and DVD authoring packages that you would recommend?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

For Mpeg encodeing I suggest useing :

Tmpgenc / Tmpgenc Xpress
    Canopus Procoder
    MainConcept Encoder

And for DVD authoring I suggest useing "MediaChance DVDLab" .....

5. Hywel

Hywel Member

Thanks for that. I'll have a look.

6. Jabba2004

Jabba2004 Guest

I have been seeing this happen exactly - similar PC with less ram. I think as of yesterday I fixed it by re-installing NeroVision (did you install NV after XPSP2 or before....

7. joeschmoj

joeschmoj Member

ok - so i'm trying to be creative here and get the best of both worlds, using a quality encoder where it counts and using the dumb easy stuff where it shouldn't matter - i kind of like how the nerovision express integrates the easy stuff like menu creation and chapter marking, but as Minion noted the mpeg encoder really does seem to be lame in nero - so i went off and encoded my avi using tmpgenc into a multiplexed(?) mpg file with both video and audio and ran it through nero to create the chapters, menus, and burn it - nero did not attempt to re-encode the movie when (it was already in mpg format as output from tmpgenc). it turns out that i get a nice quality picture and sound that plays just fine on my pc dvd software - but which plays with NO SOUND when going through my toshiba sd-1600 dvd player. earlier in the week i created the same dvd using ifoedit (using separate streams for video and audio) and ended up with the same result - can anyone help me with what i am missing???

8. Hywel

Hywel Member

Nerovision was installed before XP SP2, but I hadn't tried using it so can't say whether this was the problem.

I have had feedback from the Ahead Technical Support team, suggesting that I uninstall Nero using their clean system tool, download the application off their website and install it again.

I did all this and the same problem exists. I've sent them a reply stating that their solution didn't work.

9. biogray

biogray Member

I'd like to report the same problem with Nero Vision. It closes it self without any indication during transcoding process.
    I have Duron700, via KT133, 384 RAM, Matrox G400, audigy, 80GB seagate, 300W power supply, Windows XP MC SP1.

Of course i have updated Nero Vision 2.
    I switched off all autostart applications from msconfig to let Nero use all computer resources. I even changed the path of Nero temp-directory to a different partition where I have like 16 GB of free disk space, but it didn’t help at all:-(

I hope Ahead programmers will solve this problem soon!

Regards.

10. Hywel

Hywel Member

I've been in touch with the Nero Technical Support team by email and so far I have been given the run around.

I have been asked to uninstall Nero unsing a special utility and reinstall using the version on their website. This didn't work.

They asked me to check for a log file which didn't get created.

After 2 weeks they asked me to down load an information tool to extract information about my system to send to them for analysis. This was anoying because I had sent them this information 2 weeks earlier.

Its clear from my correspondence that they don't read what you tell them about the problem. They send out generic solutions that don't address the issues. The technical support service they offer is extremely poor and painfully slow. I have had to write several emails complaining about how bad the service is.

11. anymedia

anymedia Guest

I too have had quite a run around from Ahead tech support regarding freeze up during transcoding. After reading this thread I will seek other software for DVD production. (DVD lab?) No more coasters! ;)

12. biogray

biogray Member

I'll try to point out some facts what i've noticed.

When i'm burning very small project, like 2 slide shows and one video, all about 100MB, transcoding and burning work ok.

But actually my project contains like 700 five megapixel pictures + hundreds MB of mpg 640x480 movies. All those files i got from my digital camera.
    I'd like to burn it in NTSC, even that Nero says that most of my files are in PAL (?).
    But anyway, whole project also contains random transitions between every picture and the movie. There are also mp3 background music files added.
    All this weights 4.48 GB, and is set to extended play. Of course when i switch to PAL its less.

I press BURN button, it starts transcodding and after a few second Nero Vision shuts itself off without any message:-(

Another test:
    I created a new project and added all the same files, but thats it. No transitions, effects, subtitles and any background music. I even picked some default menu template.
    I press BURN and it starts transcodding all of the files. It takes like 10 hours on my computer. Right before it gets to the point where it starts to burn the CD, it gives an error message but at least i'm able to save the logfile.

This time i guess there were no problems with transcodding.
    So the problem might be caused by many transitions or background music. I'm planning to do another test to find this out, but with all those extras my estimated transcodding time is about 55 hours:( So probable i'll have some more news in a few days.
    --------------------------

I don't know whether there is any other software which let you create such professional looking DVDs so easy!! All effort is just to drag and drop certain files, add some effect, many kind of subtitles. I guess this is to good to be true.
    To obtain at least the same result like with Nero i'd probable have to use 10 other applications and each of them would do only small part of the whole project. And to do all this I would have to read tones of manuals either:(

That’s why I’m still trying to make Nero Vision running.

13. biogray

biogray Member

agrrr... i really got tired of trying to make Nero work:-(
    As i said previously i let Nero use a separate partition with 11 GB of defragmented disk space. I set Windows virtual memory to 512-4096 MB.

As i was observing the size of page file it was increasing all the time, when it reached 1.8GB i went to bed.
    Today morning of course i saw an error message that it can't burn the DVD.

[..........]
    [01:50:02] NeroVision total : 10058
    [01:50:02] NeroVision Set Preview Channel
    [01:50:02] NeroVision CMpegMultiplexer::SetPreviewCallback
    [01:50:02] NeroVision CMpegMultiplexer::Analyze preview callback
    [01:50:03] AMCDocBase EXCEPTION "StartStreaming: Run" (GCMediaStream.cpp, line 398: Ran out of memory
    [01:50:03] AMCDocBase (0x8007000e))
    [01:50:03] AMCDocBase seek params: start 0, end 1678011343, graphdur 1678011343
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine ********BEGIN: Component Error Handler
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine ########################################################################################
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine ERROR
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine cause: 128 (nmc_processing_exception)
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine source: StartStreaming
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine description: Cannot seek graph to segment start
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine ########################################################################################
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine ********END: Component Error Handler
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine ******END: _VOBS - Process VOB
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine ****END: VTSTT_VOBS#6 - Process Create
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine **END: Create - VTSTT_VOBS#6
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine DVDENGINE exception caught.
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine END: IDVDVideoSessionImpl - CreateVOBs
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine BEGIN: DVDSessionBase - RegisterCallback
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine ...Session callback unregistered...
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine END: DVDSessionBase - RegisterCallback
    [01:50:03] DVDEngine BEGIN: DVDSessionBase - GetLog
    [............]

If there is somebody out there who uses Nero Vision 2 without a single problem (i guess Ahead engineers) please tell me precise configuration of the computer which Nero is running on. Mainboard, processor, graphic card etc.
    Maybe if i buy the same i finally could get rid of this recording problem.

Regards.

14. Hywel

Hywel Member

biogray,

what is the spec of your PC?
    also the separate partition you have, is it a virtual partition or physically on a different hard drive?

15. biogray

biogray Member

Duron 700, ECS K7VZA kt133
    128+256 MB SDRAM
    Matrox G400
    SB audigy (i was trying without it too because some known pci latency problems)
    80 GB hard drive divided to 3 partitions 20+40+20(nero temp)
    LiteON 322S
    Windows XP SP1 media center

I have all my drivers updated including mainboard and graphic card bioses. Maybe expcept for harddrive but i don't know if there is any.

I closed some unneeded services like file indexing, and there are no any programs in autostart, so Nero should have enough resources to handle recording.
    Of course regular CDs i record without any problem.

Nero's temp is set to virtual partition E: At present there is around 11GB of free space.
    I also set windows virtual memory to use the same partition, but previously it was set to C:.
    Right now i'm defragmenting my whole hard drive.

Regards,

16. Hywel

Hywel Member

17. biogray

biogray Member

I have FAT32 file system. You think that i should have only one partition? I could try to merge those 3 partitions into 1 with Partition Magic software, it'll probable take like 2 days..

I always thought that having a few partitions is better then only one. I used to have Windows on C, and program files on D, and E just to store different kind of files. So if there is some errors on one partition (eg. from hard reset) it doesn't interfere with other partitions.

Regards, and thanks for your responses

18. Hywel

Hywel Member

I've just got this from Nero Technical Support....

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  19. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Sometimes you just have to move on. Considering the almost infinite hardware/software combinations, some programs are just not going to work for all.

That said I use NVE with great success and and find the results quite acceptable. And the nice part is there is no fiddling around to try to get the aspect ratio and audio in sync. It is also nice how you can combine AVI, VOB, MPEG1/2, PAL and NTSC together into one project. If you load DVD compliant files NVE does not transcode them.

You can also load the VOB's from a PAL disc, merge and chapter stop them, and end up with an acceptable NTSC disc.

AMD 2600+, 512 ram, XP Pro sp1, Soltek 333 MOBO.

20. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Biogray,

Your NVE log file shows that your system ran out of Memory, which caused the error message. Below is an exerpt from the portion you provided:

[01:50:02] NeroVision CMpegMultiplexer::Analyze preview callback
    [01:50:03] AMCDocBase EXCEPTION "StartStreaming: Run" (GCMediaStream.cpp, line 398: Ran out of memory

If you work with a file that is 3gig in size or smaller, do you still have this issue?

Do you have another system that you can test this on? Preferably something with a little more speed, and possibly memory? :)

The length of time that you report is required for this process on your system worries me, as it should not take as long as you indicate; 10hrs is a very long time even for a 4gig file.

Hywel,

Your issue reminds me of a similar issue another AfterDawn participant just went through recently. He reported the same symptoms as yours, but when he tested on another system he had no trouble. After removing all his add on cards, and replacing one by one, he found his Creative Sound Card was the culprit. Once that was removed, all his issues were resovled. You might want to test on another system just to see if your issue is system specific, and if so, go through the deivces you have connected to the system.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA