1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping only audio from DVD Video

Discussion in 'Audio' started by shredhead, Sep 4, 2004.

1. shredhead

shredhead Guest

Great site first of all. I'm a total newb to this.I have been reading all i can on this forum. Anyways, I want to just grab the audio of a concert DVD(DVD Video) so I can put only the audio on a CD so I can listen to it in my car. I've read this thread

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/91994

On the streaming processing tab, It has 2 checkboxes, one says: AC3/6channel/English, the other says LCPM/2channel which do I pick? Now how do I rip just the AC3 file? where do I go from here?? I'd be greatful for any help thanx.

2. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

Just use DVD Audio Ripper v1.0.27. It's a very good program and pretty easy to use. You can download it here:

DVD Audio Ripper v1.0.27
    http://www.imtoo.com/dvd-audio-ripper.html

If you have any problems with this program, feel free to post on the forum.

Hope this helps!

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hey that's a good program eh nick - it's just what buddy shredhead was asking for :)
    Is it free? I didn't D/L it but it looks like they're trying to sell the programs on that link you gave...
    I would use Smartripper and demux the various audio to separate files.
    BeSweet can extract the AC3 to WAV (two-pass AZID normalized to 100% and downmixed to your specification).
    CDex can then convert the WAV to whatever compressed audio format pleases you.
    These programs are all freeware.
    They all offer superior control and potential for improved quality, but they do require some learning.
    Shredhead if you wish to burn a standard (redbook) audio CD then you're going to have to grab 80 minute WAV maximum (about 700MB) or, burn 2 audio CDs.
    How long is the concert?
    Regards

4. shredhead

shredhead Guest

Hey thanx for the quick replies! nick2005, DVD Audio Ripper can only do 5 mins of audio for the trial version!:(

5. shredhead

shredhead Guest

THanx for the quick replies. nick2005, DVD Audio Ripper allows only 5 min of audio for the trial version! I'll try SmartRipper and mess 'round with and read more of this forum. The concert is 1:48:00 (Eric Clapton Crossroads Benefit) btw. thanx again Ill get back to you guys.:)

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Also in the Freeware arena is the superb DVDDecrypter.
    Set the options to allow stream processing, use IFO mode, and you will be able to pull off just the Audio.

Access the section, select the audio you want - PCM, DD or DTS, and make sure that demux is ticked.
    Off You go!

7. shredhead

shredhead Guest

Guys thanx for your help. I've tried both programs with success;Absolutely no problems. OGS, the concert was around 1:48 and, as you said,I did have to put it on 2 CDS(148MB).No big deal.THanx.You guys rock!:p

8. bobcro

bobcro Member

Hi Wilkes

When I've tried this with DVDDecrypter I get a very large audio file, AC I think, c.300MB for about 130mins..I want to burn it to CDR(s)but this is way too big.

What am I dong wrong.

Can you advise?

Thanks
    Bob

9. rastakirk

rastakirk Guest

What is the exact procedure for creating a DVD containing only music from a DVD using DVD-Decrypter? I am not sure exactly which files to keep and which ones to discard. I was able to play a VOB file with WinDVD 6 however I was not able to insert the disk into a DVD player and have it begin to play.

Thanks

10. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Can't get much plainer than that :)
    Once you have the program chain you want, untick everything except the audio you desire.
    300MB is not a large file - that is compressed, probably in AC3 (5.1) format.
    You need to decompress to CD-quality (Redbook) WAV, which will be maybe 1.6GB.
    That is the format which can burn compliant Audio CD.
    @rastakirk
    You can extract the audio and burn it, but to have it play in any DVD player you must author a compliant DVD.
    Or, convert (decompress) into WAV as above (using the Azid function in BeSweet) and burn a 4.5GB audio CD.
    Not sure how that works though...
    I know a DVD player will recognise WAV audio because some DVDs utilise it, referred to as LPCM audio.
    (same as CD, PulseCode Modulation)
    Most DVD players support both 44.1 and 48kHz sampling rate, even if a compliant DVD must be 48kHz...
    If your audio source is AC3 from a film, it will be 48kHz and might have to be downsampled to 44.1 to create a compliant Audio CD.
    (confusing, I know...)
    Wilkes?

11. Blessedon

Blessedon Regular member

What am I doing wrong? I used decrypter to pull the audio file from a DVD, clicked IFO, used stream processing, unchecked everything except AC3...and ended up with a VOB file of about 200 megs that no program will open.

12. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hello Blessedon,
    Rip DVD to HD using DVDDecrypter in IFO mode, stream-processing enabled.
    Select audio stream you require: make sure you select 'de-mux to separate file'.
    You will have audio file, same format as on DVD.
    If AC3 on DVD, will be *.ac3 file, approx. 150MB (for 2.0) or 350MB (for 5.1)
    If LPCM on DVD (more unusual) then it will be 1000MB+ WAV file.
    Can burn this WAV file to CD directly; if AC3 file, must decompress to WAV file before burning.
    I use BeSweet.
    Open BeSweet, (complicated!)
    Select Azid1.
    Identify location of Azid.exe; AC3 input file; WAV output file location and name.
    I recommend LFE to LR channels -3dB
    Dynamic compression Normal (or Light, for music)
    Normalize to 100%
    Select AC3 to WAV (lower-right) and will decompress AC3 in two passes, as per your spec's :)
    Once you have WAV file, quite large, you can burn CD.
    CD holds only 700MB!
    If you have a WAV file larger than that, you're are not out of the woods yet...
    You can section the WAV into 2 smaller bits, but don't ask me exactly how...
    If you get stuck at this point, you must search for info or ask specifically for help splitting a large WAV for CD burning; others must help you with that.
    It can be done, but I dunno how to fookin' do it (never tried)...
    Regards

13. Blessedon

Blessedon Regular member

Well my dear OGS, you are a God for explaining all of that! Pity that after several hours of pushing buttons I could reap no product. No doubt all your effort will help some user who is much smarter than I. It may be possible that BeSweet was intended for another species 'cause it sure don't work for this one!

14. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

What's up - were you able to get your de-muxed AC3 file?
    It should be titled something like this:
    VTS_07_1 - 0x80 - Audio - AC3 - 2ch - 48kHz - DRC - English - DELAY 15ms.AC3
    If you can get DVDDecrypter to produce this type of file, we can convert (de-compress) it into a WAV file easily enough.
    I would make two runs on the DVD, creating 2 AC3 files.
    Chapters 1-8 and then chapters 9-16 (of 16) or equivalent, appropriate to your source DVD, would create 2 files that would generate 2 WAV files, that would each fit on an audio CD :)
    Where are ya stuck, BeSweet?
    It's kinda tricky - the secret is to ignore most of it. We want only the Azid function.
    Azid is a command-line (DOS) program. BeSweet is a GUI front-end which actually simplifies Azid, for the point and click generation...
    If you can get your AC3 file my friend, we will make a WAV from it, no worries. We'll find what you are doing (or not doing) and get you running good.
    Confirm you have the AC3, and both these BeSweet and GUI packages:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_tools/besweet.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_tools/besweetgui.cfm
    We can turn any AC3 into WAV, ready for burning, in about 15 minutes ;)
    L8R

15. Blessedon

Blessedon Regular member

Sir OGS, Again, thank you kindly for your time. I wish to learn BeSweet, and will humbly accept your help, even though I have solved my first project adequately-there will be others.
    I DL'd Media Player Classic 6.4.8.2 ([bold]What a JOY[/bold]) from Afterdawn and played the demuxed audio file Decrypter gave me through it while Musicmatch Jukebox digitally recorded it on the other HD, and I just burned the CD from there. Crude but effective!
    Now, the file Decrypter gives me obviously works but...I get 3 files, VTS_01 stream info...VTS_01_1 IFO...and, VTS_01_2 VOB. The last has the 200 meg audio. Even properties says it is a VOB! Maybe that's the problem for BeSweet. Yet Shrink's analysis says it's an AC3 on the disc. By the way, when I pressed "GO" in step 5 of GUI BeSweet, Notepad pops up and nothing else could be done.

16. Horace11

Horace11 Member

Blessedon

I may be able to help.

I was having the same problems you have experienced, and have been able to achieve a successful rip and conversion from a DVD to audio.

I am using DVDDecrypter v3.5.1.0 and BeSweet

Even though I had followed the earlier instructions for DVDDecrypter and was using IFO mode, “Stream Processing” panel with “Enable Stream Processing” checked and the Demux radio button checked, I was still getting a VOB file as output, even though I had selected only an audio file for extraction. I then tried some changes in Tools/Settings. Under IFO Mode, I checked On Start-up/Enable Stream Processing, and on the Stream Processing panel, I entered “*” (all streams) into the Demux field. Those settings gave me an AC3 file as output.

I also had a similar problem getting BeSweet to work. I presume you have the VOBInput.dll v1.3 from the http://dspguru.doom9.net/ site (Plug-ins&Source), otherwise you would have reported a notification in the BeSweet log when you tried to run it. If you look in the BeSweet WIZ v0.1.txt file that extracts from BeSweetGUIv0.6.zip, you’ll find the following statement:

Requirements:
    -------------

***** All BeSweet Files Must Be in a "\BeSweet" Sub Directory of the Wizard *****
    ***** All Azidts Files Must Be in a "\Azidts" Sub Directory of the Wizard *****

This statement in fact contradicts the BeSweet guides, but if you follow the requirements, the “GO” button on the Wizard works as expected.

There appear to be no guides for DVDDecrypter in the Guides section of this site, although there are some specific operational instructions given (by ScubaPete I believe) somewhere, if you can remember where to find them. As an alternative, the BeSweet site has some useful explanations of the DVDDecrypter functions. General guide is at www.doom9.org/dvddec.htm, and a more detailed description of the settings is at www.doom9.org/dvddec-options.htm

Good luck

17. Blessedon

Blessedon Regular member

In Afterdawn I have found the Nirvana selfless help!
    Spot-on shared experiance Horace. I will combine your tips with those of OGS when my bizarre midnight work schedule ends in four days and report back the results. Surely all this will help others!

18. Blessedon

Blessedon Regular member

I got it! I got it! Thanks guys, BeSweet works fine when one gets past the quirks. Also, it seems important to put the audio file on the same HD as BeSweet (I had been putting the file on F: with BeSweet on C:.

19. d9085

d9085 Member

Hello to all you Guru's.
    I have read this entire thread trying to extract audio from a DVD.
    I am using version 3.1.6.0 of DVD Decrypter.
    I only get an .ifo, .txt and a .VOB file.
    I have followed the instructions of The_OGS and Horace11:
    Even though I had followed the earlier instructions for DVDDecrypter and was using IFO mode, “Stream Processing” panel with “Enable Stream Processing” checked and the Demux radio button checked, I was still getting a VOB file as output, even though I had selected only an audio file for extraction. I then tried some changes in Tools/Settings. Under IFO Mode, I checked On Start-up/Enable Stream Processing, and on the Stream Processing panel, I entered “*” (all streams) into the Demux field.
    But that's where it stops. I still get a .VOB file.
    Under the Stream Processing tab I have a tic next to
    ox80 - Audio -AC3 /6ch /English
    Demux is tic'd
    Under the Input tab
    I have only chapter 1 tic'd (to keep the file small)
    and cell 1 has a check mark.
    Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? PLEASE...

20. typo_pl

typo_pl Member

I tried following the instructions here. I got an AC3 file the first time, but then I kept getting VOB or M2V files - even after setting "Enable Stream Processing" in the IFO Mode panel of the Settings dialog.

Then in the main DVDDevrypter window, I tried right-clicking on the "0x80 - Audio - AC3/2ch/English" entry in the Stream Processing panel. From the context menu that came up, I selected "Set Selected - Demux". Then I select Decrypt to extract the audio.

Now I get AC3 files.

Hope this helps.