1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi player and encoder

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Janey, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Janey

Janey Guest

Hi Have been visiting this site for a while and am in dire straits with my avi files. Have been ripping dvd to vcd for a while with great quality. Now I have downloaded a few movies in avi format as I live in a remote area and only have a standard modem, so the avi files are alot smaller. I can't get anything to even view them. Windows media player 9 will not run them. Have tried encode with TMPGENC, downlowded ACEMCP and still can't do anything with them. Please help A lady from OZ!!! :eek:)

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

3. Janey

Janey Guest

ok i have downloaded MPEG4 Codec. I don't have a clue what to do next.

4. Janey

Janey Guest

Also downloaded the player you suggested and it doesn't seem to work or play anyfiles

5. Dela

When you installed the mpeg-4 codec, did you go to the start menu - programs - Mpeg-4 video codec and click run me first. You have to do that to install the codec. If you did that try the following

Download VirtualDUB
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/virtualdub.cfm

and try to open the avi files in it. If they don't open, your file is probably a fake!

6. Janey

Janey Guest

Yes I did all that and nothing has worked. Have deleted the file. Is there anything that will alow me to view an avi file before it is finished? seems they are called a dat file when not completed.

Thanks.

7. Dela

The only way i know is to open the .dat file in virtualdub.

8. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

9. Janey

Janey Guest

OK. So when I download a codec, do I have to associate it with another programme? or is it just a prgram on its own?

10. Dela

Codecs are just files stored on your computer labelled as decompressors. When you download a file, it will have a decompressor specified and if you have it installed it will use the codec to play the movie. It will auto be associated wit any movie players u have like winmedia.