1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+ vs. DVD- WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE WHY SHOULD I CARE?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by charles.r, Sep 15, 2004.

1. charles.r

charles.r Guest

I am looking to purchase another laptop but wanted one that would allow me to capture streaming video and create DVD's that folks could play on their non-computer VD Player.

I see some advertised with the DVD+, Some with the DVD- and (I think) some with DVD +/- and I am WARY.

The guys at BEST BUY (and the like) don't appear to understand the difference(s) sufficiently to offer a convincing explanation.

I was hoping for a LAPTOP that would allow me to capture stuff off the net (as it plays on my machine) an off the TV Cable an save it to a DVD that could, then be given to an average person with a DVD Player to use.

Should I get DVD - or DVD+ or DVD +/- ?

Is there a software package I MUST PURCHASE?

Is there hardware I MUST PURCHASE?

(in addition to the laptop!)

BTW noticed some "Go Vols" comments here. Anyone from East TN? I'm looking to buy a place!

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi charles.r, I'll try to answer some of your questions in general terms. Not much difference in -R +R discs. They hold the same amount of data and burn the same way. The problem is when trying to play your burned discs on different brands of players. Some play -R only, some +R only and most newer ones play both. For this reason I would purchase the laptop with a dual format burner. The dvd backup process at first is sort of trial and error until you find the right combination that most of your players won't have any trouble playing. -R seems to be more compatible with the majority of stand alone players. For this readon I only buy -R blanks now.
    As to extra equipment, you will need some way of getting your video into the computer. You will have to see what is offered for the laptop you choose. They sell USB capture boxes that work Ok for this. The box usually has A/V inputs for hookup to your external source and then sends the data to the PC through the USB. Software usually comes with the box of your choice. ADS is one of the companies that comes to mind that makes those type boxes. Hope this helps somewhat. Good Luck with your purchase.

Jerry

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest