1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor 708A + UDMA

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Trom, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Trom

Trom Regular member

Hi,
    I was burning some files to DVD using Nero. I got a write error and upon investigation it would seem there was a problem with one of the files. However when I looked at the nero log I saw this:

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
    CdRomPeripheral : PLEXTOR DVDR PX-708A nvatabus Port 0 ID 0 DMA: Off
    CdRomPeripheral : TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1212 nvatabus Port 0 ID 1 DMA: Off
    DiskPeripheral : WDC WD740GD-00FLA0 nvatabus Port 2 ID 0 DMA: Off

It suggests that DMA is off. When I checked in Device Manager(NVidia Nforce 3 cntrller) the transfer mode is set to UDMA2(not selected by bios). Indeed SiSoftSandra reports the current transfer mode for the WDC drive as UDMA6. Any ideas guys.

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

All DMA's are displayed as off in Nero and in Windows they are on......I think this suggests that there is communication issue between the software or windows and your optical devices....

This maybe an ASPI related issue, I have no experience with ASPI layers as I do not use them (I should really read up on them at least) but there are lots of ASPI related posts around if you use the search function, and also some ASPI junkies may pop in and point you in the right direction.
    There maybe some proggies in the software section here at afterdawn........

You may try uninstalling Nero and reinstalling agian as I think it is linked with Nero and not Windows - but maybe wrong.

I know this reply maybe doesn't help, but it may just incite another member to give you the exact remedy.

Good luck.

3. Trom

Trom Regular member

Thanks for the input baabaa. However I discovered the culprit so for others who might experience a similar problem here it is. I discovered that Nero(+ similar burning apps) just do not like the NVidia Nforce controller. I switched to the MS WinXP IDE controller and now all is well. It occurred to me to do this as the app that comes with the Plextor(Plexitools) does not fully function when the device in on an NForce Controller. Some of the sections in Plexitools like "Drive Information" would not display any details about the drive. When I had this drive on a P3 it functioned correctly as it is now that I am using the MS IDE Controller. So I suspect there is a conflict somewhere between Nero + such when using NVidia drivers.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Glad you found the culprit..............

Yes, from what you said and re-reading your post again, I missed the fact that your controller was an Nvidia one.
    It would have made sense to suggest to remove that and revert to the windows controllers just to see what happens..............and you did that and it eliminated the problem..............

Nice one..............