1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi too big for dvd r

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by nokesy, Sep 20, 2004.

1. nokesy

nokesy Member

i have a avi file that is only 700mb's but when trying to convert to dvd format using tmpgenc it goes way over 4.7gb. how do i convert to dvd so it can burn to 1 dvd r? i have converted a few avi's which are 700mb's and had no problem before.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Go ahead and convert the AVI to DVD format then run it through DVD Shrink :)

3. turkey

turkey Regular member

hang on a minute, there is something kind of fishy going on. conversion from AVI to mpeg is supposed to be a COMPRESSION of the video, not a decompression/expansion of over 6x the size of the original. for no other reason does the Mpeg format exist then to compress video into managable file sizes.

nokesy,
    what can you tell us about the differences between the the original file and the Tmpgenc output file. What do see when you watch the video, is there a difference in resolution, frame rate, bitrate, etc??? there must be some setting that is causing this decompression/expansion. have you tried to encode the file in a different program???