1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets Paint The Kettle Black,Do You Have A Bitch On Whats Going On Around The Site Or Any Thing Negative To Report

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@rihgt....careful when enlisting in the navy. There are some jobs where they take you out of the navy and put you in the marine corps ... I was one of them. Marine corps medical personal are taken out of the navy. I'm not saying this to knock someone going into the military, that is a laudable thing, but as much as I actually enjoyed the marine corps, I believe that practice is wrong. Make sure you look up whatever sort of school you'll be going to...don't ask the recruiter; look it up on the net.

2. rav009

rav009 Active member

@Lethal,

Eh?

@Loco,

~Lmao~!

Ah, I'll just avoid him 'till he's out of pic-axe mood then :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@rihgt682,
    Just remember when you swear your oath of enlistment or oath of comissioning, you pledge your life to our wonderful commander in chief, whoever he/she may be. Just because you enlist in the Navy doesn't mean that you will be working for the Navy, you could wind up working for some other government agency on some other branch's base or facility. Heck, I knew a few people who once they left basic/tech school stopped wearing the uniform to work each day, so if you end up in the right career field, you may end up in a very unusual assignment. Gerry1 is correct, don't believe your recruiter, [bold]unless it is clearly spelled out in your contract, it isn't guaranteed or promised[/bold]
    Once you are in, you go where, when, how they want you to go. It really depends upon the needs of the military at that time. Keep in mind that unlike the regular Olympics which are held every four years, the "Mental Midget Olympics" run 24/7 in the government. Gold medal performances show up all of the time and when you least expect it. Having a set of gold bars usually indicates a strong contender for a medal winning performance.
    But seriously, I loved the time I spent in the Air Force and will always speak highly of the military as a chosen career. FYI I was never permenently assigned to an Air Force base which actually had a working airplane on it. The best food I ever had was onboard a navy ship i the Med, the worst was in an Army chow hall. Enough about the ramblings of an old codger, enjoy your enlistment and travel as much as you can while on leave.

4. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

thanks for the tip.
    My bitch is that i upgrade my computer every 3 1/2 years and spend about $1,500. Do i need to upgrade? no. But i just have to get the lastest stuff. I wish i didn't.

5. regor

regor Regular member

so that works out to 428$ USD/Yr or 35$ USD/Mo which isn't all too bad, or am I missing something here??? --given the other non-essentials that proabaly cost more that have nothing to do with high-tech, eh?

Parents with new kids/toddlers spend that much per month on diapers, and then you throw them away - at leat I hope you do.

Broadband access is probably that much per month, yes?

Got beer?

Gasoline/Petrol per tank?

A box of Godiva chocolate?

ok I guess you get my drift....

6. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

yes, your right it is $35 which is $1.16 EACH DAY!!!! I actully pay exactly $35 a month for cable. so just for COMPUTER use (without electric bill) I spend over $70 dollar a month!!! Do anyone upgrade as often as me??

7. theridges

theridges Guest

i pay 85 for basic cable plus internet combo with brighthouse so that aint that bad...

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i believe in making things last as long as possible, especially computer stuff. cars too but don't get me started on that. Anyways, computers can be made to last a long time with the right software (and the right mental attitude). Any PC's that are too long in the tooth just get reused with Linux, i don't blindly follow Microsoft's products and just upgrade all my stuff for the hell of it (for instance), that's just wasteful, i'm sure most of us have responsibilities and more important things to use our money on

:)

9. ireland

ireland Active member

my bitch for today,are we next?

Germany's New Internet License Fee
    Posted by Zonk on Sunday October 22, @03:30AM
    from the enjoy-your-privelages dept.
    The Internet Television The Almighty Buck
    PapayaSF writes "Beginning January 1st, Germany will require payment of a license fee of 5.52 euros a month on computers and mobile phones that can access TV and radio programs over the Internet. Like the current TV and radio license fees, the money will support national and local public TV and radio stations. German companies with many computers are predictably upset."

full story here
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/19102006/80-91/german-states-agree-phone-internet-licence-fee.html

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

if we're next, i'm going jackass hunting.

11. ireland

ireland Active member

for creaky or who ever want it

LINUX MOBILE SYSTEM.......... Linux Mobile System is a full Linux system within a USB Flash Memory Drive. This system will be able to boot from any i386 based PC, so we can run a lot of utilities: network diagnostic, disk diagnostic, administration terminal, etcetera.....(free).....GO THERE!
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxmobile

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  12. ireland

ireland Active member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

cheers, might check that link out sometime

14. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

""my bitch for today,are we next?

Germany's New Internet License Fee
    Posted by Zonk on Sunday October 22, @03:30AM
    from the enjoy-your-privelages dept.
    The Internet Television The Almighty Buck
    PapayaSF writes "Beginning January 1st, Germany will require payment of a license fee of 5.52 euros a month on computers and mobile phones that can access TV and radio programs over the Internet. Like the current TV and radio license fees, the money will support national and local public TV and radio stations. German companies with many computers are predictably upset."

full story here
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/19102006/80-91/...icence-fee.html""

Bah thats poorly thought out why not finish it and do 10-30 a month US and have ALL media off the net free to share and the TV can stil get 7US from it.

15. rav009

rav009 Active member

Lmao ireland, nice pic! (the keyboard)

16. regor

regor Regular member

IMO memory is more important that processor. Assumming you have a P4 or centrino (or amd for that matter) class processor you may opt to upgrade in GHz but the real benefit is in upping your RAM. MAX it out baby, go for it, what you want is a minimum of 1GB and max whatever your HW will support.

So if you are upgrading processor like I did from centrino to duo core, that is just personal preference... I just wanted a dual core system, but it wasn't necessary. Nice however... I can run several(many) VM sessions with dual core and it doesn't even make any adverse affect on a dvd playing in the foreground on the local host.

But again... that was $1500-2000 or more and a 2GB memory upgrade is considerably less.

17. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

regor
    even before that you should take note of cache on the CPU anything under 1MB is horrid for gaming, to upgrade in class keeping in mind the architecture of the CPU s better than mindlessly following MHZ

For gaming its a 3 way tie with CPU,RAMM,VID with mobo being almsot important.

Don't get me wrong ramm is soemthign you should worry over but only as much as CPU always keeping in mind of the mobo and its limits.

Vid cards give me a headache with current hell of like sounding numbering schemes that never really reveal their true architecture without a ton of research.

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well do you expect them to put the entire architecture description in the name? If you really need to find stuff out you can just look it up. The market consumer is usually just some average Joe looking for what he needs. He doesn't want or care about the specifics.

And 512Kb cache is fine for gaming if you're using a Venice or Newcastle core. Though any thing in those cores is going to need to be OC'd to about 2.4GHz before you play aything heavy anyway.

Remember the Clawhammers? They had 1MB cache and they were only as fast as the Venice. And the Newark core was terrible. 2.6GHz gave you a 4000+ when any other core would have been at LEAST a 4200+

19. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Estuansis
    true true.
    but mostly the the higher the cache the better the CPU unless its 1 or more sockets behind the times.

20. ireland

ireland Active member

http://blog.wired.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/limb08.jpg

Amputated Arm Stitched to Groin
    Topic: Surgery

Limb08 I'm not a fan of amputation photos and when I first ran across this story I sort of shuddered and hid from my computer screen before tacitly deciding that the good readers of Bodyhack could do without a post of, well, a hacked up body. But enough people forwarded me this link that I realize it is my solemn duty to confer it onto you.

The back-story to the photos is a little thin, but apparently a man in Valencia, Spain somehow lost his arm in a drainage ditch before showing up to his local hospital with the freshly severed limb. The doctors responded by stitching it back to his stump, but soon realized that the sewer water was going to spread infection. They would have to relocate the arm to another part of his body to keep it viable while they cleared away infected areas with antibiotics. With the family's consent, they moved it to his groin where it could easily hook in to his blood supply.

A report on Unbounded Medicine says

The psychological impact on the patient was very important. As soon as he woke up, we told him that the arm was infected and we have to save it in other location on his body. After a couple of hours he realized that the arm was on his leg. He stayed that way for nine days with daily cleanings until it was verified that the stump was clean.

For full details on the arm to groin and back to arm transfer, check out this link, but be aware it's NSFPDBAA (Not Suitable For People Disturbed by Amputated Appendages)

The doctors expect that he will make a full recovery.
    http://blog.wired.com/biotech/2006/10/amputated_arm_s.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.