1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink without NERO

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Mayaboy, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Mayaboy

Mayaboy Member

I followed the directions on afterdawn.com for using DVD-Shrink to copy my DVD, but these instructions assume I have Nero as my burning software. I don't, I have Sonic.

The directions say I have three options for saving my compressed DVD files - 1) Burn with Nero 2) Create disk image 3) Save files to HD. But in fact, if you don't have Nero, the only option is to save the files to the HD.

Now, I'm left with a Video_TS and Audio_TS folder on my HD and I don't know what to do with these. Can I burn them on a DVD as if they were data? I wouldn't think this would be properly formatted for playing in a real DVD player. Any why can't DVD-Shrink make its own disk image without Nero?

Or, I could just get Nero. Is there a version of Nero that I can get for less than the hefty pricetag of $99? Is there a "Nero-Lite" for 19.99 somewhere that would work with DVD-Shrink?

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

No.1 you can get nero ultra 6 for about 59.00 or download it each and every month for the full month for free as long as you want. forget nero lite. Sometimes nero has rebates giving you ultra 6 for 30.00.

No.-2 you can use DVDdecrypter to burn and it's free. Uncheck enable burn with nero and check use decrypter with ISO files in the target window after hitting backup.

Make sure you're using shrink 3.2

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Mayaboy,

Welcome to aD -

Follow these directions to the letter (print them out to follow) and you'll be on your way -

Of course the main thing is to download the programs before you can think of doing anything :)

Program # 1.
    (Get your DVD Decrypter’s newest version here - )
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Program # 2.
    (Get your DVD Shrink’s newest version here - )
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Now that we've done that –

Get yourself nice and relaxed and follow this here, it's a step by step – and this baby can’t fail, kweeler than a snowball down the back of your pants (Weeeee, :)

First create a folder for your HD backup work. Try to put it someplace where you won’t forget it (i.e. C:\All My DVD Work\The last New York Samurai sings Sittin' by the Dock by the Bay).

Next, lets get DVD Decrypter setup so it can burn in the background after DVD Shrink has done its thing – Ya ready ?? Yea, I knew you were :) Right-o, open up DVD Decrypter and under mode select “ISO, Write”. Un-tick the box that says “verify”. Where it says “source”, you’ll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says “Destination”, select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it. (Yee I'm tired already – this is truly a lot of work (Lol))

Next, open DVD Shrink, you have the latest version of DVD Shrink so click “Edit”, then click “Preferences” on this page we’re going to select “DVD Target Size” as custom and set the size no higher than 4300MB – If your blank discs aren't the best, drop your size to around 4260MB. We do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn’t too large. Then under the “File I/O” tab "un-tick “Enable burning with Nero” then click “OK”.

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner’s drive. If you have only a single drive, begin by placing your original in the drive first - When it necessary to put your blank in, you will be prompted to do so. DO USE RiData, Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim DataLife, Verbatim DataLife Plus, media boasting “Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Other media could very well cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is defiantly not the time to put your, "Boy did I save money buying this crappy cheap stuff." in - )

Because DVD Shrink is so easy we're going to let it do a complete backup. That means we're going to copy the entire DVD. Everything is already set so that all we have to do is click the "Backup" button.

Now, take just a second and under “Target Device” go to “Select backup target” once there, select “ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter" Finally, where it says “Select target image file”, browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click “Save”. Now, under "Quality Settings, "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation" there you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. That’s it ! Click “OK” and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don’t use your PC for anything at all while it’s working. -

I'M NOT KIDDING ! STAND BACK FROM THE COMPUTER !

* There have been issues where playing your DVD on your burner opposed to your DVD ROM may result in errors during processing :-(

When you need a guide with a personality, shop ScubaPete :p)

Pete

Hurry back, we'll be a-waiting for a full report -

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  4. Mayaboy

Mayaboy Member

Thanks to both of you. It turns out my main problem was that I didn't have DVD-Shrink version 3.2. Older versions worked only with Nero. Now that I've upgraded to 3.2, I can work with DVD-Decrypter. Great summary, btw. really helpful for all who might read it.

thanks

5. bizzle93

bizzle93 Member

"* There have been issues where playing your DVD on your burner opposed to your DVD ROM may result in errors during processing :-( "

Just wondering, what do you mean by this?

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there bizzle93, Welcome to aD,

The explanation was pretty simple really, a DVD ROM is designed to read and only to read and can do so quickly and easily and without effort. A DVD R/W must start and stop many, many times over while reading which it wasn't designed to do as well as a DVD ROM. On occasion, there have been reports of files only partially being picked up thus resulting in excessive read errors when being read by DVD R/W drives. The majorities of these reports came from the DVD XCopy Forum and were handled by Ireland who, if memory serves correctly, was the one who made the initial recommendation about reading from a DVD ROM whenever possible. Much more importantly, the constant starting and stopping that reading entails can cause overheating and premature failure of the DVD R/W drive itself. Therefore it is heartily recommended that you read from a DVD ROM whenever possible.

I hope that helps,

Pete

de ScubaPete's reason ~>

Using your DVD-ROM to rip from is easy and timesaving and lazy (de ScubaPete doesn't have to put down his beer to change discs). You place the original in your DVD-ROM and your blank disc in your burner and you don't have to touch anything until your backup is finished :D) (and my beer is saftly in my grasp :p)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  7. adw

adw Guest

just follow scuba and u will b sweet he does all right by me with his help in the past

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

bizzle, in addition to pete's excellent explanation i would like to add always read with your DVD ROM drive when possible because it will add life to your burner which was made to write. :)

9. geddylee1

geddylee1 Member

after using shrink if all else fails... burnatonce is free and recognizes vob . vid /ts etc... files too.. get burnatonce and choose dvd video and add folder of vob files and your going. i just started using nero and am pretty happy but anyone who can't figure it out can use burnatonce. it's free. for dvd to dvd i swear by dvd shrink .(an older one) and burnatonce. both free and real simple. for vcd i now swear by nero to do it all. before that i used tmpge and record now max that came with my vaio pc but you can get record now max elsewhere under a similar name but i forget the name.or actually i think that is the new name. it used to be record now dx. one thing i still can't do though is dvd vob files to vcd. but since i do dvd to dvd and avi to vcd it really doesn't matter.

10. ade_95

ade_95 Guest

dvd shrink 3.2 is better than all the older versions because it has more compression options cant wait 4 them 2 make an upgrade 2 dvd shrink :0

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

ade_95,

[bold]cant wait 4 them 2 make an upgrade 2 DVD Shrink :0 [/bold]

you might be waiting awhile as Mr. Shrink has said this will be the last version of shrink. He has since gone on to work for someone in the business, or so I've been told. :)

12. ade_95

ade_95 Guest

bigorange is it true wot u herd or do u think he will make another version?

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Unfortunately, I got this from someone very close to Mr. Shrink and I'm afraid it's true. But, hey, ya never know, people have said "never again" before and came back so we'll see. :)

14. ade_95

ade_95 Guest

yes only time will tell ;)

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ade_95,

Would please make an effort to post in English ?

It will be appreciated by all -

Thanks,

Pete

16. jdhartmjm

jdhartmjm Guest

bizzle93,
    Listen to ScubaPete and READ all of the instructions carefully. After using DVD X Copy and making many good discs and a LOT of coasters, I downloaded DVD DeCrypter nad DVD Shrink.... Hallelujah my brothers, I am free from the binds of a program that doesn't let me decide on what to keep or throw away. I am a reborn DVD burner. Thanks to all of the knowledgeable that post here, I am in your debt. And yes, we should all try to post in English.

17. ade_95

ade_95 Guest

where havent i typed in english???? i just use text language. so far pete ur the only 1 2 complain about it

18. bruwery

bruwery Member

ade_95

I agree with Scooby. wut is "text language" it is hard 2 reed wut u rite

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ade_95,

I asked politely that you please use the English language not the Solarian Gib language, Text Language OR anything else. We ask it of everyone here. Many, many "pple" here don't speak or write English as their "Mother tongue" and "Speaking in "code is impossible for them to understand. Ask your Grandparents about the "Pig" Language spoken by the American POW's during World War II. It took the first letter of every word, placed it at the end of the word and added "ay" after it. It could be spoken rapidly and the German guards couldn't understand it so escape plans could be talked about in front of them without a problem. Try it with your "Mates" sometime. Now a days only the elderly would know it (Lol).

Anyway, the history lesson is finished, I hope you'll learn from it and consider others -

A parting note - Many members won't answer your posts as they find it too hard to read -

Cheers,

Pete

20. ade_95

ade_95 Guest

ok pete maybe my posts are a bit too hard to read so i will type in english now

ade