1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing DVD/CD-ROM drives...???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MedicFury, Oct 13, 2004.

1. MedicFury

MedicFury Member

Went to burn a cd and couldnt find either of these drives, went to system manager and my device manager and looked at the drives, this is what i found....

HP DVD Writer 300c
    JLMS XJ-HD1665

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Tried updating them, no luck.

Please, any help will be very appreciated...Thanks for your time!

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!
    Check the CMOS for the two drives. Are they there?

3. litljo

litljo Member

hey we have the same problem, on my fiance' comp. specially with the latest nero and other burning programs wont pick up any of his drives... so we have to go back to an older version, or different program, even then we try a few before they find it. havent tried in the cmos yet just read this forum so will look next time.( he's in the middle of formatting now). gee i hate formatting. im so over it now and know it like the back of my hand. what a wonderful thing... not.(well sometimes). especially seeing i have to do it so often.. any one else know how to get our drives back without formatting.. please help..
    thanks jo

4. MedicFury

MedicFury Member

Forgive my stupidity, but how do I check the CMOS?

Also did a system restore the day i found out and no help there, i noticed the problem after installing Alc. 120% but that has been removed....thanks JD

5. litljo

litljo Member

to check your cmos you need to get into the bios a sfar as i know, by pressing delete on start up. my only advice there is dont change n e thing that your not sure about, or any thing if you dont know at all..and we dont have a problem with alcohol 120.. in fact it is one of the programs that does pick up our roms... as well as dvd shrink.. and ive never done a system restore so i cant help you there..

also ianski7.. if they r in cmos then what???
    and if there not in cmos then what????

jo

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!
    From what I have read you don't have the same problem.
    Medicfury has a 'code 41 error'--his problem goes far beyond not being able to burn. The drivers have loaded but can't detect the hardware!If you can see the drives in the CMOS then they are there as the device manager shows. The problem lies in the communication between hardware device,the drivers and the o/s.

If the drives are IN the CMOS then follow this carefully!!!!!

Back-up any critical data in case you mess up!!!! If you do you will have to reinstall the o/s. If you follow carefully you should have no problem!! This is for XP ONLY!!!!!!!

Code 31, 32, 19, 39, 41 - Windows XP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
    Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

Restart your computer

When you get to the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}part, the upper and lower filters will be on the right side of the screen.

If on the unlikely chance that the drives are NOT in the CMOS, reinstall the ide controller and all drivers.

This isn't for the faint of heart but if you do mess up,an o/s reinstall will do the trick and no harm will be done. Be sure to back-up!!!

Good Luck MedicFury!!!!!

7. MedicFury

MedicFury Member

Wow, thanks alot guys! although i don't trust myself with doing it, so i will make my friend do it, another stupid Q, how do i back it all up if i can't burn or are talking something different? Thanks JD

8. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!
    There are no stupid questions.....it's all relative!
    I'm counting on you having two hard drives.
    If you don't...........get one from a buddy and back-up to that. Or you can get about 100 floppy drives and go nuts........just kidding. If you have critical data,you need to back-up.....anything that can be reinstalled is just a hastle--nothing more.

A reinstall is the worst case scenario--but it's good to have a contingency plan.

Times like these are testement to a good back-up scheme!!!

Good Luck !!!!!!

9. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

OOPS..............

10. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Try uninstalling the devices in device manager and rebooting.... if they're there than Windows should reinstall them (or try to)

11. MedicFury

MedicFury Member

How effective is this way of doing it praetor? I would rather do that then going into my registry...thanx

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i've found it to work usually, when removing drive(s)from device manager & rebooting

13. MedicFury

MedicFury Member

k, i will give that a swing....what if it doesnt work? then what will i do?

14. eholly

eholly Guest

I have the same problem, lost the hardware CD and DVD drive on my PC. I followed all previons suggetions, including regedit lower and upperfilters but nothing helped My error number came down from 41 to 39. What a triumph! anybody has any suggestions??? Complete system restore in my opinion is not an option. Please HELP EHOLLY

15. MedicFury

MedicFury Member

I tried uninstalling them and rebooting, no luck with it so i am waiting for a friend to come and do the regedit...keep me up to date, thanx

16. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey eholley!
    If you now have code 39 after having a 41 then your making progress!!!!
    You say you have already followed my previous post to Medicfury so we're well on the way to recovery.

You had an error 41 which is the inability of XP to detect the hardware device even though the driver was loaded.

You now have a code 39 error which is the inability of XP to find and load a driver for an installed device.The driver may be missing or corrupted.

I suggest that you go to device manager and uninstall the cd and dvd drivers from the offending devices (If they are loaded).

While still in device manager, scan the cd and dvd for hardware changes.
    Windows should detect the drives and install drivers--if you have manufacture's drivers on cd install them.

You should then be back up to speed!

Good Luck !!!

17. eholly

eholly Guest

ianski.7
    thanks, I tried it but> no cigars!once you delete the cd dvd , you cannot look under hardware.../after restart Windows installs the sameCD and DVDhardware but the driveers remain corrupt or cannot be found.
    I attempted downloading new drivers from MS Website
    but that did not work either. Anybody has a better Idea???? Thanks for trying.. I am desparate
    eholly

18. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect 1 of the 2 drives(data cable) from motherboard see if windows pickup drive ok, if not do to 2nd drive as 1st drive & see what happens. i presume both drives are on same data cable. possible they are conflicting with each all of a sudden. are both if on same cable jumpered cable select or master & slave

19. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey eholley!

After the drivers for both drives have been uninstalled the DVD/CD ROM entry in device manager will disappear. Go to the top to 'MY COMPUTER' in the device manager, right click and then click 'Scan for Hardware Changes'. Have the newest drivers downloaded in a folder and pick the folder as the target for the scan....try that.

20. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

what error code are you getting? Is it still 39?