1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared to death

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Fireangel, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Fireangel

Fireangel Guest

I just spent some time reading the thread regarding a person who exchanged a sony dvd rw drive for a Lite-On SOHW 812S dvd rw drive. I am seriously worried now because I just bought 2 of thm off the internet without access to the knowledge that this drive wants a P3 450 MHz processor. I have a Intel Celeron 400MHZ processor that no matter what I do will not let me overclock it. Is this going to be a problem for me? Or since I know my boar supports the P3 at 450 and higher, should I just see about a new processor?

2. HatTrik24

HatTrik24 Regular member

I think its time for a new computer!!

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Fireangel, The cheapest way to go would be a processor upgrade. I have read some members burning dvds with a 500meg processor but I would go as fast as your board will support. Also 256mb ram is about the minimum, best to have more there also. Good luck.

Jerry

4. Fireangel

Fireangel Guest

But can it be done? I mean do I REALLY need to upgrade just yet. My finances are EXTREEMLY short and unless I can find some stuff free or dirt cheap, I may be out of luck. Can it work ok as is now, if I don't do anything else but burn when I burn?

5. lilbopip

lilbopip Guest

[REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2004
  6. Fireangel

Fireangel Guest

To reply to lilbopip, I have sent you a PM regarding your offer. THANKS BUNCHES! You have no idea what a life saver you are. BTW...we are talking about a working machine, right?

7. Slimboy

Slimboy Member

Is it just this drive that needs a certain speed processor?

Just built the bro a PC out of old parts.

P2 400mhz
    128 meg Dimm Memory
    Pioneer 104 Burner

Software: DVD Decryptor & DVD Shrink

He is having no problems ripping DVDs apart from a bit of extra time. i.e. DVD Shrink taking between 2 to 5 minutes on the standard analyze (Wouldn't like to try the deep analyze).

If you are only planning on backing up your own originals, the extra time shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  8. Fireangel

Fireangel Guest

Yeah the drive specifies p3 450 MHz or higher, 128 mb ram, and 5 Gb hard drive space for image. I have the ram and the storage space, but only a 400 MHz Celeron.

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Fireangel, you are only talking 50 mhz. I would try the drive as is and see if it works with your setup. Also sometimes you need to change a jumper setting on your MB to overclock older processors. Have you looked at the board jumpers? That might be all you need to do. I assume you tried in your bios to overclock it.

Jerry

10. Fireangel

Fireangel Guest

Jerry 746: Yeah, when it comes to MOBO's in general, I am pretty much a novice, But when it comes to MY MOBO, Well I have had her for 4 years now and I know her inside and out. She's an Abit BE6-II. According to the manual, if you turn all the jumper settings to the off position, you can overclock your processor through the softmenu setup. I have done this repeatedly and still show only 400 MHz for a processor and 66 for the FSB. So I am not certain if it would be best to just try the manual jumper settings to overclock the board/processor, or if it is best to O/C through softmenu. If softmenu is more reliable, then I am kinda stuck.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2004
  11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

On some of the older MB's you have to change at least some of the jumpers inside before anything will help. If you have your book on the board it should give you some combinations of jumpers for certain speeds. You then should be able to use the soft menu in the bios to complete the overclocking or tweek it some up or down. If you don't have the book, do a search for your board model. I'm not sure how much you can squeeze out of that Celeron 400 before it becomes unstable. 50 mhs shouldn't be too unreasonable but you don't know until you start playing with it.

Jerry

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@lilbopip

This isn't ebay so keep your "blow out deals" out of our forums :)

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check your manual, see how high you can go in processor speed & check your local computer stores who might have one from an upgrade they did

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  14. lilbopip

lilbopip Guest

YEAH HEY THANKS YOUR A LITTLE LATE THOUGH bleep I WAS ALREADY TOLD BY A MODERATOR PER MY OTHER POST BUT YOUR TWO SENSE HAS BEEN NOTED AND DISCARDED AS WELL AS YOU SO NEXT TIME DONT BE OPENING YOUR MOUTH YOU POWER HUNGRY FREAK

15. Nephilim

[​IMG]

It was so nice knowing you :)

16. Fireangel

Fireangel Guest

Ok guys, first off, I didn't mean for this to turn into an arguement, I only wanted some advice. Secondly, I am not aware of any rules that specify trading of items between users being prohibited. Considering no exchange of money for product was EVER discussed it makes the offer not a sale, but a trade. No money would EVER have changed hands. Thirdly, Guys, he was only trying to help, and possibly GET some help in return. I don't see why a simple question has gotten so far out of hand. Does it REALLY need to be this way? I mean SERIOUSLY? I thought the tekkie community was A LOT more understanding than this. Kinda shook up for my first time out in a message board for tech geeks and newbies. --Fireangel.

17. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Trying to exchange stuff is all well and good.
    Ignoring 2 warnings and then getting abusive is plain stupidity.
    Nephilim is a popular and well respected moderator and known for his fairness.
    We don't want people with lilbopip's attitude on our forums.

18. Fireangel

Fireangel Guest

Thank you for your help. I will see how it goes. I am available still if I can help any one with any problems. Have a nice day.

19. Nephilim

For clarification lilbopip didn't get banned for trying to trade equipment. He was banned for being abusive.

Our site doesn't permit buying/selling/trading because A) that's not what we're about and B) we don't want to get into the legalities and problems that arise from unfair trades and ripoffs.

lilbopip was asked nicely to not do that again as it was against forum rules but instead of responding with something like "That's cool, I didn't know" he turned around and called me a power hungry d*ckhe@d so it's not hard at all to see the real reason he was deactivated.

If folks want to do personal business, we have a pm function that can be used to exchange email addresses so they can do all the wheeling and dealing they want without involving our forums.

20. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Well stated as always Nephilim.

Fireangel, Don't let this be a turn off against our forum. I almost thought about giving you a warning when I read the first exchange offer post. Why anyone would offer a computer in exchange for software is beyond me. As the old saying goes: if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Anyway I hope you get your computer up to speed. I still think the burner might work with the 400 mhz processor. Good luck.

Jerry