1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to rip copy protected DVD's using Shrink and DVD Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by GBham, Oct 23, 2004.

1. GBham

GBham Member

Can someone please tell me how I can rip copy protected DVD's using Shrink and DVD Decrpyter. I want to save these to my backup Maxtor external hard drive which has 160 GB of free space. I have looked at the guides, but it has confused me to the point where I need the forums help. I need a step by step guide using these 2 programs (not even sure if I need both). I am trying to burn Finding Nemo, and Shrek for my daughter. Thanks forum. You guys are awesome!!!

2. cruester

cruester Member

You don't need both programs but both programs will rip a DVD to your hard drive. If you want an exact copy of the original DVD then you can use DVD Decrypter. Open DVD Decrypter, go to the top and click "mode" then click "file". Then make sure your DVD drive is the source and the destination is your hard drive. You'll have to select a folder for the DVD to be stored on the hard drive.
    If you want the movie only and no extras then you can use DVD Shrink in basically the same way. When you go to burn make sure your destination is a folder on your hard drive.

3. GBham

GBham Member

Thank you. That is helpful info. So my next question is how do I burn from my hard drive to a DVD using these 2 programs. I have a dual format DVD drive (Sony). I have Sony DVD media as well. Thank you.

4. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

You can burn the .iso file you got using shrink or decrypter with decrypter. It's easy.

5. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

Oops - that is if you made an .iso file of the right size. If you encode to your hard drive using 'decrypter' you might end up with a file that is > 4.3 GB (depends on the size of the original movie). You cannot burn that to a single DVD disc unless you have dual layer disks. On the other hand, if you encode using Shrink you can keep the resulting file at 4.3GB or less, even with all the 'extras' that come on the disk and burn the resulting .iso to on DVD disk.

6. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

that is to one DVD disk.

7. geeman999

geeman999 Member

I always use both shrink and dvd decrpyter together, simply because it is less taxing on your computer. ie dvd shrink runs much faster off your hard drive. in fact so much so I think if you run deep analysis on dvd shrink, you save time using dvd decrypter. So I use dvd decrypter first, which sends it to a folder on my hard drive. I open that folder on dvd shrink, I manually maximize the compression on all ancillary files, remove non english audio files, run deep analysis, then encode and burn. I've been using prodisc 8x dvd-r discs and burning them at 8x, on my nec 3500 a burner with no problem.

8. Cruzz563

Cruzz563 Member

[OT] I thought blank DVD disc held 4.7 GB, not 4.3, I'm holding one right now and it says 4.7. It's in the FAQ for this forum too, was wondering if that's what the older discs held? [/OT]

9. Port7

Port7 Member

VobBlanker 1.6.0.3 is great.
    I rip RE Apocalypse in my harddrive and i use Nero Recode to fit in a DVD-R 4.7gb. It has the menus and all but the other audio a rip it off. because i dont care what the director says about the movie.

Another Easy way to rip RE Apocalypse is with DVD Decripter. Don rip the entire 1st chapter. Only the last part. The first part is the protection of the cd. i will explain later if you care.