1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doesn't anyone use the guides before posting "how-to" questions?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cryptdigr, Mar 4, 2004.

1. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you can get little yo no compression, and are using good media then you will not notice a difference in quality.

2. Gambit086

Gambit086 Member

rgr.. really last questions now lol

With 2 cd drives, you can read and write/burn cds simutaneously to save time, if I'm not mistaken. With 2 dvd drives, is there any way to read and write at the same time? Or does it always finishes reading 1st, then write (which takes longer)?

also, I'm alittle confused sometimes on which audio's i can cancel to allow less compression. There's alot of ac-3s for some movies. Sometimes I can't tell which English AC-3 i need to keep, or if i have to keep all of them. for a particular movie, one english audio has 6 channels, while the rest english audios have 2.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I always just keep the AC3 English 5.1 CH

Didn't you look at the guide? It shows this.

You can burn from one drive to the other, but you will have more room for error that way it is best to just put it on the hard drive first, and the time gained isn't but a couple of minutes anyway so it just isn't worth the risk.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Gambit086,

Not to tread on BB's toes. If you don't know anything at all about stereo's you might wish to stop by one of our forums dealing with Home theaters. The only thing you really need is an AC3 -2CH (a basic stereo) if you have a stereo system at home, ask your dad how many speakers it has. That is for the AC3 5.1 Dolby and AC3 6ch sound track.

Burning CD's isn't in the same ballpark as DVD's. Burning CD's requires hardly any resources at all BUT encoding and burning DVD's is a different animal. You need a decent system to operate to drives, burning with both at the same time. Something along the order of a high end Pent 4, 2.8 or 3.0 Ghz processor and at least a 1 GB of RAM.

As for reading from one drive then burning directly to another drive without going to your HD ? It is only rarely possible. ONLY when the movie is a very small one (< 4.360MB) An example, older B&W movies like, "Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man", "The Day the Earth Stood Still" OR "Dracula". These movies are about 3.5 GB each and can be sent from one drive to another (as BB said, a very good chance of errors doing it that way).

As a general rule, you should copy all DVD's to your HD so that your software has someplace to work –

Why Backup to the HD ?

Let's try to answer the question, "Why do I have to backup to my Hard Drive (HD) ?"

Think of it like you're making a Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich. Everything you need is in one place, the cupboard. All your DVD files are in one place, the original DVD.

You need a place to put all your ingredients, the Bread, Peanut butter and the Jelly - so that you can assemble them into a sandwich, you use the kitchen table. You need a place to put all the *IFO, *BUP and *VOB files you are taking from the original DVD, you need to assemble them into a VIDEO_TS folder OR you need to put them all together into an *ISO image, you need a place to work, you need the HD.

You assemble your sandwich putting your Peanut butter and your Jelly into two pieces of bread. When you are finished you can one of two things. First, you can leave all the "Fixens" on then table to make another sandwich sometime later OR, you can put it all away and have your table clear again. In DVD backup, we needed the HD to lay out all the IFO, BUP and VOB files and then to assemble them into a folder called your VIDEO_TS folder OR to put them all together onto an ISO image. When you are finished you can do one of two things. First, we could leave them on the HD to make another backup DVD later OR we can have them in a temporary folder to be deleted and have our HD space clear again.

In a nutshell, you have to write the files you’re working with to your HD. The work you’re doing cannot be done in “cyber-space.”

So, back to our original question - If you want to do a backup of an original DVD you'll have to backup your DVD to your HD in order to work on it to make your backup disc.

You can copy a backup copy (copy a copy) "on the fly" (without involving your HD) because it's already decrypted and processed to fit on a single disc.

I hope that's clearer,

Catch ya later there BB,

Keep those fires burning :)

Cheers,

Pete

5. Gambit086

Gambit086 Member

Wow Pete, very well said (except for the dad part lol. He'd rely on me to operate any kind of electronics lol.)

I haven't burned a good dvd yet, but I now have all the software/hardware to potentially install a good copy, and I'll copy to hd first to avoid errors. I'm sure all will go well now with all the knowledge I gained here :). Thx bbmayo & Pete.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Glad you're on the right track But it's not time to leave just yet, hang out iffin you have the time, snoop around on some of the other forums, checkout the "Safety Valve", there's usually something in the "Wacko" category going on there - OR check out our forums on Home Theater components, CD's, PS2, X-box or Gamecube topics or even Cellular phones – there's something for everybody :)

Always feel free to stop back here at "Newbie Central," help someone else OR pickup a few more pointers or tricks to make your work a little easier and your computer work a bit better ~

(NO, somebody isn't coming by your house to type for you. That guy is booked up until somewhere around mid-June, 2009) I was suggesting something in the line of a shortcut we may have come up with (it happens from time to time) OR a new proggy you might want to try - Ya never know . . . .

We'll lQQk for you later, OK ?

Till then,

Sea Ya ~ ~ ~>

Pete :D)

7. buttmunch

buttmunch Member

MOD EDIT: If you ever spam or try to recruit members with off topic posts again you'll be banned.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  8. Gambit086

Gambit086 Member

np, i can help out here and then.. i usually help out in sharkys once in awhile. I do know SOME STUFF, so I'll return favors here and learn some new things. :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  9. eugeardee

eugeardee Member

Pete

Long time no write!
    I gave a copied DVD to a friend to play on his iMac. The iMac refused to have anything to do with it and immediately ejected it. My PC plays it beautifully. Any idea why??
    Thanks in advance for reply.
    Eugeardee

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi eugeardee,

I've been around except for a stay in the hospital for some much needed surgery ( :( )

As far as the IMac goes - It most likely is the media. Using top grade stuff like Verbatim OR Taiyo Yuden works - using either a -R or a disc that has been "Booktyped" to a ROM is by far your best bet. Sometimes it is the drive which plays only "pressed DVD" BUt that is generally a factor with older Macs.

Keep trying . . .

Cheers Buddy,

Pete

11. eugeardee

eugeardee Member

Hi Pete
    Thanks for reply. I meant it is a long time since I last wrote. Sorry to hear you were in hospital -- hope you are better now.
    The iMac I mentioned is somewhat hoary -- that may well be the problem -- 128 MB RAM and 10 GB HDD -- perhaps plays only 'pressed discs'. He is upgrading to a decent PC soon and may well solve the problem.
    Eugeardee

12. Robin123b

Robin123b Member

Hello.
    Ive just bought a dvd from america and i live in England, problem is (as you've all probably all guessed) i have a regional 2 player and a regional 1 dvd. Can anyone tell me how to convert it??? or where to go to get it converted?? it is the best dvd in the entire of dorset.

Jimbob.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Robhin123b, welcome to aD,

By using AnyDVD on your PC it will render the DVD as Region Free so that it will play on your PC and you may copy it with something like DVD Shrink, CloneDVD2, Nero's Recode2 or DVD2One onto a blank DVD which will then be Region free.

AnyDVD - http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html
    DVD Shrink ver. 3.2.0.15 - http://www.dvdshrink.org/
    CloneDVD2 (By elby) - http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_dvd/download.html
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.6 - http://www.ahead.de/us/neroue-prog.php
    Nero recode2 - http://www.ahead.de/us/neroue-prog.php
    DVD2One - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd2one.cfm

Other programs which will work and are FREE are DVD Decryptyer and DVD43 (Free).
    DVD Decrypter - http://www.dvddecrypter.com/
    DVD43 (Patin-Cauffin drivers, Mid-page) - http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

Perhaps the easest and cheapest programs would be Shrink - Decrypter

The guides are in my sig -

Best of luck -

Pete

14. Nero63

Nero63 Guest

Just want to say hey to all the people out there that give all these otheres good advise, and a little ribbing occasionaly. I'm new to this forum, have been watching/reading for about a month and truley am overwhelmed by all the info there is here. Cheers to BaaBaa, Scubapete, Neph, Hesty(real funny), and all who contribute. Hope to contribute soon..

15. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

One day you'll be an AfterDawn Addict Member

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  16. TMO

TMO Guest

I am not all that new to DVD-Shrink, but then again its all relative. A little background first:

I have produced aprox. 100 back ups with Shrink and Decrypter and have nothing but good things to say about my success and most, but not all of the end products. I have had to loose disc integrity in order to keep quality. This is something that I have begun to dislike. From what I have been reading it sounds like Shrink won't be getting anymore new versions in the future. I have started to read up on DVD-Rebuilder and it sounds good to a "fresh meats'" ears, but I am skeptical. From the DVD-Rebuilder thread I am getting advice to download the installer program from http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org/. But from what I can tell (not an expert at all) it seems like a lot of things to download. The last think I want is for my computer to start acting up and fall apart on me cause something I downloaded has a mess of addware or something else like that.

Bottom line: What are peoples feelings about the life of Shrink and does a program like Rebuilder really do a better job?

Thanks for anyone's help and if you read this Mr. Scuba, just know your guides and postings in the forum are very helpful and informative.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

TMO,

WoW, that's a great question, so good I think you should ask it again in case you think me too stupid to be able to remember that I spent a good amount of my free time to give you some enjoyment -

I do have a link to help you out . . Pay strict attention to # 3.

Cheers,

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/187147#1011728

18. TMO

TMO Guest

Mr. Scuba,

You are very much correct. However. I am indeed a neewbie and didn't know that you would be reading all threads and that I would be wasting your time. I wasn't trying to. If I did I am sorry that was the case. I was trying to get answers to questions and whoever is willing to help I am all ears for what they have to say(you and others have been willing to help). It looks like some threads get more replies then others so I was throwing question out to different ones to see what I could get. I took your advice and have been trying to hunt down answer to my question about linking HC encoder to Rebuilder. Nothing yet but still looking. Thanks again for advice and help

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

TWO,

You waste not only my time and make me feel stupid and that to you, my time has no value BUT you screw with my friends - Are you having a good time ?

How about I tell Bear you were just having a bit "O" fun and his time isn't worth anything either -

Second warning . . .

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/185922#1011904

20. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

Wow, TMO. Multiposting? Please keep the same question down to one thread. I'm pretty sure the MODs will give you a warning.