1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to record songs

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jeff9756, Oct 29, 2004.

1. jeff9756

jeff9756 Member

How may I record a song from my mp3 player when the song is wma dma protected? I've heard its possible using windows sound recorder. Exactally how? Any special hookup wires I need?? To reiterate, I want a copy of a song inside my mp3 player to put onto my desktop as to put it on a personal cd. Thanks.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

If you can get the mp3 player to play though your sound card (on your pc) using your line-in port (on your sound card) you could use a program called Jet Audio 6 Basic (it’s free) to record the song to you hard drive in a number of different audio formats (including mp3).

The web site to the program is http://www.jetaudio.com/products/jetaudio/ . The basic download is free and doesn't have any limitations on the media player (just some on the advanced recording/mixing options).

You shouldn't need any special hook-ups other than what is necessary to connect your mp3/wma player to your sound card. The sound card line-in port should be of a generic stereo-to-stereo wire jack (like the kind on your mp3 players head phones) that you may have or can easily buy from Radio Shack.

Let me know if this helped you at all jeff9756!

3. jeff9756

jeff9756 Member

I wasn't able to record following your instructions. I only seem to get blank space when recording with jetaudio. Another issue I have is it only records for 10 seconds, its sets mp3 up to 56kbps only, and i can't seem to record. Please help. Thanks.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That sounds strange. I will assume that you have your mp3 player hooked up to you sound card via the line-in port on you sound card.

1. Start up jet audio

2. Select the record function

3. Set you sound source to line-in (check the line-In box)

4. Select your audio format (I recommend FLAC)

5. Select you file (save) directory

6. Make sure "Enable Timer" is [bold]not[/bold] checked

7. Try playing a file on your mp3 player: You should be able to hear the sound coming though you pc speakers

8a. If you don't hear sound while playing you Mp3 player then you should go to you (expanded) volume controls and make sure "line-In" is [bold]not muted[/bold] and/or the slider is not on min. volume.

8b. If you can hear sound then everything should work

9. Stop you Mp3 player (queue up the song).

10. Start the recording process, then start your Mp3 player.

11. At the end of the song stop the recording process and test your recorded file with Jet Audio

Afterward, I would use a program other than Jet Audio to convert file(s) to Mp3.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Everything you said sounded strange to me. I have never had these problems. I have used this program on old and new systems for about two years now.

All I can say about the sound is that you should check you master volume settings as well and the Jet audio ones. Also, make sure your Mp3 player is plugged into the right hole as they all do look alike. If you can't hear music coming through your speakers (without jet audio runnning) you should consult your volume control panel and make sure Line-In isn't muted.

I'm hoping that the 10 secound thing is caused by the timer being enabled.

As far as the Mp3 thing, since your sound source is analog I suggest that you use a lossless format so there is no sound loss and then convert that file to an Mp3 file that you can use.

If you don't have a converter that you use, dbpower amp is the one I like (it's free): http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

6. jeff9756

jeff9756 Member

I tried everything you said again, and I can hear music through the speakers but I still cant get it to record on jetaudio. 10 seconds seems to be the only time I can get since its a basic version. Please help.

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The only other thing that I can think of is that your sound card may not support the recourding feature (I just find that hard to believe). My basic verison has allowed me to capture hours of audio! I have used Jet Audio to convert tapes to CD's many times. I just start recourding and play the tape to the end then I convert the file to Mp3 and create tracks with another program.

Unless they changed the installation limitations I dont see why your have problems. I'll go get the latest version and let you know (I know I said it in my first post but my verson of Jet Audio 6 doesn't let you recourd to Mp3...lol). One last idea is that you may have low (Hard Drive) disk space but I know you would know if you had that problem.

I'm sorry this has been such a ruff experience for you,
    Ced

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I just installed the latest jet audio software and it hasn't charged (ecept for the EULA, its says stuff about Microsft DRM now). So lets try this again... with pics!

You said that your can hear a good amount of sound coming though your speakers from just having you player hooked up to the line in port right? So, lets do it like this:

1. Make sure your Volume control looks something like this ->

[​IMG]

[bold](Your Line-In volume should be un-muted and turn up a little)[/bold]

2. Make sure your Jet Audio 6 Basic player looks like this ->

[​IMG]

3. Press the record icon, Your menu should look like this ->

[​IMG]

[bold]{Your shouldn't be using any special features! No Expansions packs, Mixers or Equlizers!)[/bold]

4. Press the [bold]Start[/bold] (record) button then Start your mp3 player song. Your menu should now look like this ->

[​IMG]

5. At the end of the song press the [bold]Stop[/bold] button.

6. Test your audio using Jet Audio media player, it should look like something like this ->

[​IMG]

Finall Note: You can use the [bold]Timer[/bold] (its not a special feature) but you don't need to.

Please tell me good news,
    Ced

9. jeff9756

jeff9756 Member

I got it to work now. Thanks so much. I actually had been going to run audio mixing recorder to record. The only thing that is bugging me now is the sound recording seems to be not very sharp and balanced. You can hear that silent sound in the background. Sounds like "shaaaaaaaa". You know what I'm saying. Does that make any sense. I even tried windows recorder and it was a lot worse. Thanks.

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That hissing sound is heard because FLAC is lossless and retains all sound and sound quality. When you convert the FLAC file to Mp3 (a "lossy" audio format) it will get rid od unecissary sound info, during compression, like high pitched hissing (depending on your encoding settings).

Aight, I'm so glad it worked for you (mainly because I was running low on ideas...lol. Make sure that when your recording that the recording volume (volume on the recording menu of Jet Audio) is high but not to high. You never want to see the little recording volume indicator turn from green to red. Every song file is differnt so you will have to adjust accordingly everytime you record something (unless they all came from the same source, like a CD).

I'm glad I could help. Have Fun!
    Ced

11. hagit

hagit Member

Thanks for the detailed instructions; it has helped a lot. I managed to record from a tape walk-man to my computer. I use JetAudio as well.
    I also get the hissing sound, I tried doing what suggested below, recording into a FLAC file and convert it to MP3, however I still get the hissing sound.
    Please help. Thanks.

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I am having trouble with this issue since I have never had it as bad as you guys. This sounds like an electronics problem not a software one to me. I can only assume that the problem may be electronic interference. Make sure your wires are not passing too close to electronic devices that may not have proper sheilding from thier own electromagnetic output (i.e. Speakers, Monitors, anything big and powerfull). Your PC shouldn't be a problem since normally they (and thier components) have execllent shielding.

My new favorite Lossless codec is [bold]Monkeys Audio (.ape)[/bold]! I have created a guide from this thread so if someone figures out what all the "hissing" is about please tell so I can add the solution to my guide. Thanks!

=====================================================

diabolos's first guide:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/125931

=====================================================

Do you hear the high pitched hissing ("shaaaa...") before and after you record or just during playback?
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2004
  13. hagit

hagit Member

Hi

I hear the hishing all over the recording, can anyone tell me what frequency (Hz) is the hishing?
    and What software has capability to cut of Frequency scale.

thanks

Hagit

14. sunbird

sunbird Member

I use total recorder for recording records and tapes and also use it to record like you with line in it is easy to use but it does cost money , as you nedd the registration number for it , I use total recorder 4.4

15. hagit

hagit Member

Hi

I'm past recording phase, I only need the frequency scale of the hishing sound (sh...), How do I detect it?

thanks

Hagit