1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HALO 2 Won't load from HD, Dirty Disc

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by VicRamano, Nov 9, 2004.

1. VicRamano

VicRamano Member

I just got my hands on HALO 2 and after backing up all of the files to the harddrive and running the game i get an error saying something to the effect that the game couldn't load and that the disk may be dirty. I think it has something to do with the dashupdate file that comes with halo 2. I know i have my script right in the evox ini file. I have 23 other xbox games that work fine. I also tried to run the game straight from the disk and i get an error saying invalid disk. THIS DISK IS AN ORIGINAL. Something tells me that it may be that I need to update my bios or Evox. Is anyone else having this issue. My xbox is a ver1.1 and i have the xcuter 2.2 lite.

2. suki24

suki24 Member

my copy works fine...did u used dvd2xbox??

transfering the game to the comp always works best if it doesnt work directly from the xbox....

3. VicRamano

VicRamano Member

I tried useing DVD2XBOX and that didn't work so i did the manual copy to pc then back to xbox hd. What version of bios and dash are you using?

4. suki24

suki24 Member

currently using the evox 3935 with the xecuter 4981 bios

does your game read 4.506 MB with boxexplorer?

5. VicRamano

VicRamano Member

I want to say that i'm useing an evox that is like 37xx or something. Is your halo the retail USA version. I just got the game last night. Did you do anything with the updatedash file such as deleting it after you copied to the HD. I havn't checked to see how big the game is with boxexplore. When i copied the game to my pc the directory was something like 3.77Gig.

6. suki24

suki24 Member

yeah its retail....

so your comp.... the game reads only 3.77 gig....well see it should be around 4.5+ gigz...

no I didnt delete anything...

7. VicRamano

VicRamano Member

What is in the parent directory. Please list the files that were there. Also i just got the regular version of halo 2 not collectors edition(if that makes a difference.) I will have to check to see if i got all of the nessacary files copied from the dvd. Are any files on the dvd that you copied hidden file?

8. suki24

suki24 Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  9. VicRamano

VicRamano Member

Thanks for the screens. I have the same disk and the same files in the directories. I'm going to verify that i have 81 files tonight. I'll post tomarrow. If all else fails i'll get the game on newsgroups or something. Anyway i'm also going to update my evox and my bios.

10. sae2004

sae2004 Guest

Hey there,

I was having a similar problem and was wondeirng if you had gotten it resolved.

I checked the files and basically when i try to copy it to my HD it doesnt copy 4 maps(3b,7a,8a,8b)..thats why it gives me a DDE error after the second stage. Is this an issue with my xbox dvd drive?

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

11. VicRamano

VicRamano Member

Mine works now, but i had to re-rip the dvd to my pc and copy it back to the hdd. When i initially ripped the dvd i had 37 total files that accounted for 3.77Gig(this was on my pc.) When i reripped i had something like 4.5 Gig. Just try reripping. If that doesn't work then i think you could try getting one of newsgroups since you already own the game.

12. sae2004

sae2004 Guest

Hey Vic,

how can you rip it to your PC directly? you have to go through the Xbox to rip it first right? PC dvd roms cant read Xbox discs..
    I have already tried to rip it to my xbobx several times and have also tried to copy the files over individually but only those specific files fail to copy.

I would appreciate it if you could let me know of any newsgroups and how can i access them(through explorer of specific program?)as ive never really used newsgropus before.

Thanks a lot for your help

13. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

Try setting your clock on your xbox
    Rallisport 2 suffers from this problem (clock not set, you get dirty disc error)

14. dmxdog492

dmxdog492 Member

I tried that but it still doesnt work. I don't know why it sitll gives me taht dirty disc error. It worked once b4 but loaded real slow and in the middle of 1st level it gave me the dirty disc error again. I've had HALO 2 since it released now and still havent played.
    PLEASE HELP!

15. suki24

suki24 Member

16. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

This is a common problem.. Most the time reinstalling wont work but sometimes will your best option is to burn to dvd that leaves no problems. I've had friends upload to hard drive 2 didnt work half way through and 1 did I also tried it and mine didnt work. With the dvd-r or whatever writable disc you are using space for error is left aside.

17. dmxdog492

dmxdog492 Member

how do i trnasfer the game to my pc if i have the original halo 2 disc? because i cant copy the game into the HD since it cant read the game. SO how am i suppose to tranfer it to my comp then to my xbox?

18. suki24

suki24 Member

click on D drive and transfer

19. jkm77

jkm77 Member

I had that problem with Rallisport 2. I usually use px hdd loader to put my games on the hard drive as my dvd2xbox doesn't always work. Anyway the list of games shows up when I copy from there but when I tried launching Rallisport right from the px menu it gave me the dirty disc error. When I went back to the main evox dash and went into games that way it would launch fine, no problems. You can try that it may work.

20. jkm77

jkm77 Member

ps my Halo 2 works fine from either menu.