1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems converting avi->mpeg2 (for dvd)

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Pehu, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pehu

Pehu Member

Hello,

I just started to look into DV edit and am trying to transform my tapes into DVD disks for further storage/viewing. But alas, I ran into weird problem.

Capture from DV camera goes fine, the avi that comes out is good, no flaws in it. When I try to convert it to MPEG2 (and then author it to DVD), there are weird "saw forms" in it. Well, I can't explain it so here is a still picture from the video, download it at http://www.pehu.net/download/videotesti.jpg

This phenomena is visible clearly when the camera is moving/panning. The movement is not quick, in the example picture it is actually quite slow.

I have tried using Pinnacle Studio 7 avi->mpeg encoder and also with tmpgenc latest version with many (MANY!) different setup options. But nothing seems to help.

If someone knows where the problem lies, I'd be very happy!

Yours

Pehu

Last edited: Feb 5, 2002
  2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

NTSC or PAL?

3. Pehu

Pehu Member

Sorry. The image is in PAL.

I also conducted some more tests: the problem is not visible when I watch the MPG file with powerdvd, but in the newest windows media player it exists. And it does exist when I burn the MPG to DVD and watch it with my SOne DVD player (NS700).

Pehu

4. dRD

For me it looks like an interlace issue, but I might be wrong. Have you tried to apply various delace filters to the picture?

5. Pehu

Pehu Member

I was actually wondering it myself as well. A closer look to tmpgenc shows the interlace filter menu... and it made the picture as it should be!

Thanks.

I wonder why it is always that when you try to find out the problem by yourself, then spend one day contemplating the issue and can't find the reason. And when you ask someone, the answer is simple and propably you find it by yourself easily :)

Thanks anyways, now I can continue with my DV edit :) That answer was worth paypal support fee :)

Yours

Pehu

6. dRD

As usual: np :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.