1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero, DVD Shrink, unable to burn another DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by aw213, Nov 21, 2004.

1. aw213

aw213 Guest

Hey all: I just started this week with a LG DVD burner (LG super multi re-writer). I downloaded Nero 6.6ultra, DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. I bought some DVD-R 4.7GB dvds and managed to 're-author' one DVD.

I cannot make a back-up of another, after using DVD Shrink to 'compress' what I don't need. The messages I get are:
    "Media requested: DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVDRAM, ..."
    "Media detected: DVD-R"

No matter which blank DVD I put in ... same message.
    I checked with a utility in Nero (DVD info) and it assures me the disk is empty.

The total size of movie info want to burn is 4.27GB

Any suggestions??

2. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

hello aw213.

no expert here but try using the
    DVDShrink and Nero combination,
    (from what i have read they work
    well together. don't think you need
    to use all of them if that's
    what's going on..

myself i use the DVDShrink then
    DVDDecypter

PLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2004
  3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Try removing your burner drive in your device manager, re-boot and let Windows re-install the drive for your again. This sometimes clears up strange problems. You got 1 disc to burn so unless the drive died everything was working. While in device manager, check that your IDE channels are set to DMA also.

Jerry

4. toofer

toofer Member

aw213, It sounds like you`ve just got off to a bad start. Have you read decrytors, shrinks and neros guides? Are you placing your vob files in an VIDEO_TS folder? This is your first step. If I`m insulting you pls don`t take it personally. I found the guides to be very helpful when I was first starting. toofer

5. borbaleta

borbaleta Guest

Hello AW213,

Lots of experience but still not an expert. Even the so called experts don't know it all. It's probably not your software or your burner. It is more than likely your DVD blank discs. My long and painfull 3 years of experience boils down to this.

Some DVD Blanks only work with specific software or combinations of software. Other DVD Blanks work with any software on the market. While still other DVD Blanks won't work with at all. There are some DVD Blanks that will burn a great copy but will only play on a PC Desktop or Laptop. While still other DVD Blanks will burn a copy but will only play in a DVD Player. Etc - etc - etc.

So here is the bottom line - Buy only top quality, well know DVD Blanks such as Ridata 4X DVD + R / - R. The best on-line store with the best deals and promotions is www.supermediastore.com. Or if you like to experiment, place and order for 5 -6 different brands of cake packs of 25 DVD Blanks. What you really want is to find a brand that WORKS FOR YOU! You want all your copies to play anywhere, that is, Laptop, PC desktop, DVD Player and that can be burned using ANY software or combination of softwares. Good Luck!

6. bobsatguy

bobsatguy Member

certain dvd media will not record on certain dvd
    recorders, or will have high failure rates. I use
    Ri-tek Ridata dvd-r, they work well with all 4 of my
    dvd recorders, all different brands.

7. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

hello aw13
    the dvdshrink and dvddecypter runs well together aswell
    you might want to try that comb.
    worked well for me

(P-DVD-R4XRDLG50 is the item number) Genuine Ritek Ridata Branded G04 DVD-R 4X Premium Grade 50-Pack 1 $22.50 shipping included from allmediaoutlet.com

there's a lot of people on this thread that sware by these disc(Ritek G04's)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2004
  8. aw213

aw213 Guest

Thanks all. Jerry746, I liked your idea and tried it. However, no success. I went one step further and returned the drive for a replacement, same results. Both times, Windows XP re-installed the drive, and although I can burn CD-R(s) with Nero, I still get the same message when trying to burn DVDs; i.e "media requested..." .

I get this even when I try to copy pure data over to DVD. I just find it strange that the software detects the media in the drive as DVD-R, but still requests it.

I went through the guides and found them very informative. Borbaleta, bobatguy I suspect you are right and will buy and try new media tomorrow.

On the other hand, the one video I did manage to copy works great on my DVD and computer. By exloring how the copy is structured, I see how it is put together. Using this as a model I've attempted to create others manually - all to no avail, all with the same error.

Toofer, no need to worry. Even though it's frustrating, I am having a lot of fun and learning lots.

I have also tried to find the error log that Nero says contains more details. I cannot find it. I will check their site for the location.

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

What brand of blank media are you using. Some of the cheap, poor quality media is often very starnge in how it acts. You could get 1 good burn with one disc and then try another and have everything possible come up in errors or like yours not even seen by the drive. The 2 best brands of media are Ritek and Verbatim blank media. Always go for the Grade A ones.

Jerry

10. regor

regor Regular member

Hi aw213 - Can you burn a DVD with Nero? I know it's gonna cost you a DVD (or use an RW) but make sure you can still burn a DVD. (a DATA disk would suffice)

If that works you might consider following the below to help determine if DVD Shrink is the offending program...

1) RIP w/Decryptor any movie you wish to backup (it should be a movie that is less than 4.3G so you can fit it on a DVD without shrinking). Select the main movie and IFO's. There is advantage in RIPPING the files to a folder structure that includes VIDEO_TS in the structure ex:

C:\MUMMY_RETURNS\VIDEO_TS\

2) Download IFOedit96 (you can DL from AD)

Open the VIDEO-TS file you just decrypted ex: C:\MUMMY_RETURNS\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS) with Ifoedit96 and select 'Disk Image' (if you ignored my last hint on having the folder structure described above it will prompt you that the files need to be in a folder named VIDEO_TS). It will then create an ISO image.

3) Open DVD Decryptor and select ISO Read Mode and open the ISO file you just created in the previous step.

4) Write your DVD from the ISO. If it works I'd say you have narrowed down your issue to Shrink.

Hope this helps. R

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

AW213
    I have what might be a shot in the dark but I havent seen anyone talk about ASPI drivers? You need to insure that these are loaded. Go to your Nero Info Tool and check the tab marked ASPI at the bottom of the screen it should be "Green" Not "red" and say something to the effect that ASPI drivers are all loaded. If they are not you need to load ASPI drivers for Nero to burn correctly. You can get the ASPI drivers here http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...m/Microsoft+Windows+XP&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe

I hopr this is all your problem is.. Good Luck :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  12. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah thats cool I like Flip's link better use that one and follow the instructions to the "T"

Good Luck :)

14. borbaleta

borbaleta Guest

Hello again aw213,

I know that it sounds strange BUT, it isn't your aspi, or your DVD burner, or your software, or your ripper. Even though your system burned your very first blank, it probably won't burn another in that pack. If you go to www.supermediastore.com and buy a few "SAMPLE" packs of different brands you'll see what I've been telling you. Most "Sample Packs" have 2 discs each of 5 different brands. Good luck - borbaleta

15. heimanan

heimanan Member

I had Trouble with nero and My burner. Can you burn dvd with dvd decrypter?

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

WHAT!!!! ?????
    Ok and you came to this logical comclusion how? I mean you could be be right but to say with absolute certainty that it is the media which I highly doubt (bad media will still burn you may have a bad burn, but it will still burn) Now AW could supply us with a little more info so that we could help a little better.
    1. What is the model number of Your Writer?
    2. What Brand & type of Disk are you using? (+or-)
    Don't rule out anything until you have tried it all if there is one thing I have seen in AD it is that there are a lot of different problems on here and I have seen a lot of people with the same problem, but the answer to there problems were different. So you have to try them all. Also most advise on here is good advise, but try the least expensive first unless you are just rich? LOL
    I have seen a lot of people on here have problems with Nero and Pioneer, and LG not being compatable with -R disk's. You could try burning using DVD Decrypter to see if this is the problem or anyother software, but you should try ubdating your firmware, ASPI first as this has solved most people's problems.

Good Luck and I know we can get this figured out. Hang in there :)

17. borbaleta

borbaleta Guest

This is for "bbmayo".

What nothing! First of all, who the hell do you think you are? You have no right telling me what I BELIEVE is the problem. I have seen this problem many, many times and found that changing the DVD Blank Media - and doing nothing else - solves the problem instantly.

If aw213 or yourself want to spin your wheels and try all the "Technical stuff" be my guest. Go ahead and waste your time. The real solution is in finding the right DVD Blank discs. Nothing more and nothing less.

Oh, yeah, one more thing for you bbmayo where did you go to school? You're spelling needs some work.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2004
  18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Jeez ,,, I must have struck a nerve? If I did then I'm sorry I didn't mean too.
    I did say you could be right, and in my opinion, and I'm sure a lot of others here would agree if it doesn’t burn at all then it probably isn't the media. Bad media just usually means crappy picture quality or bad burns. Aw213 stated that it won't burn at all. I did talk to someone from Ahead Software and they are aware of this problem with several recorders (Sony the most, but some model's of LG as well) they are currently doing test on these and should have a fix soon. I never told you what to believe or not to believe borbaleta I'm truly sorry if you took my post the wrong way, but I was just stating my opinion also. So I'm sorry if you took it so personal I didn't mean anything by it.

Happy Thanksgiving All :)

19. borbaleta

borbaleta Guest

To bbmayo,

Apology accepted. I know that you're just trying to help aw213 solve his problem by trying all the so called technical fixes. However, the surest way to verify what I'm saying is to take a few of his (aw213) DVD Blank discs and the same DVD movie that he wants to burn - visit a few of his friends who are already burning without any problems and try to burn his movie using his blanks. Then borrow a few different blanks from his friends and try to burn the very same movie on his system using his friends blanks.

Of course, I am assuming that he knows how to use DVDDecypter (Latest version 3.5.10) and DVD Shrink (Latest version 3.2.0.15). Also, Nero 6.0 or greater must already be installed for DVD Shrink to use it to burn the selected "Re-authored" main movie etc etc etc.

20. ripvan

ripvan Member

aw213 had a similar problem.I have an oem version of nero-nerosmartsuite(similar to 6) and use dvd shrink 3.1.When starting to burn I was getting message from xp that it could have a prob with writing and to update nero from site.Did this but got your problem and It told me what media to use and then would not recognize it!!So I went back to my Oem version and also went back 1 version of dvd shrink to 3.1 and now I have no problems.Changing disc makes did not make any difference when I tried it.Good luck.