1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't burn using DVD-R media???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ucla, Nov 22, 2004.

1. ucla

ucla Member

System Info:

WinXP SP1
    Nero Ultra v6.0
    DVD Shrink v3.0
    Sony DRU-540A DVD Burner - supports +/-R; +/-RW
    Media used - Memorex, Sony and Maxell (all -r)

These are the steps I use when backup a DVD:

1. Shrink to my HD from source to fit a DVD-5 (4.7G)
    2. Use Nero Burning ROM to burn VIDEO_TS folder to
    blank media.

Successfully burned DVD+R, +/-RW with the above media brands. However I can't burn using DVD-R. What's going on??? Can't understand it. I do not get errors. When I get to the 2nd step, my HD light is always lid - seems to be frozen. Checked WinXP Task Manager, it tells me Nero Not Responding and I can't even eject the DVD. Need to the a cold reboot.

Exchanged my SONY DRU-540 with another new DRU-540. Same thing happened. Tried with different burner software such as CloneDVD and CopyToDVD. PC frozen getting to step 2. This annoys me!!! Please help.

I don't like to call SONY, NERO or Microsoft. One tends to blame the other and you will get nowhere except wasting time. So I am hoping someone could provide some clues here.

Thank you in advance!

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Burner's firmware up to date?

Are you using the most current Nero?

When you run Nero's InfoTool ... what does it say about your aspi layer?

3. ucla

ucla Member

flip218,

Ran Nero InfoTool. Clicked "ASPI" tab, told me "No ASPI Installed. Downloaded latest firmware from Sony
    support site. Installed 1.0b. Same thing happened.
    The PC just froze when it got to the part of burning the VIDEO_TS folder and I had to cold reboot it.
    Using Nero Burning ROM SE v6.3.1.12 (came with SONY
    retail box).

What's the deal with DMA that I have reading from other sites? I found it under Device Manager -> Secondary Controller. In it, it has Device(0) and Device(1). Don't know which is my SONY DRU-540. Currently set to "DMA if available".

When I get time, I try buying the TDK DVD-R and see what happens. At this point, it's pretty much trail-and-error.

Is it possible this has to do with WinXP Prof or the HDD itself??

Sydney

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

5. flip218

Here's another aspi layer ... I like this one :)
    http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/
    Download both Force 1.8 and aspi check. Instructions on the site. I run killaspi then instaspi

Run Nero Info Tool again, and check to see if it says 1.0b for your sony drive.

Although your using an oem version, you can still update your Nero. I would go to nero.com and get the current version(s)

6. ucla

ucla Member

I talked to the SONY TECH people althought I said I would not want to call them in my original post. I made this comment because I had enough experience dealing with tech support either they were incompetent or they blame others. Anyway, surprisingly, these guys at Sony were quite helpful. :)

Anyway they sent me the link to download/install ASPI.
    Before I went to do this, according to Nero Infotool, I had no "system aspi" installed. Downloaded the program SONY sent to me. It came from:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...s=no&cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70&prodkey=ASPI-4.70

So I installed. However, Nero Infotool reported as "ASPI Installation is corrupted". Called SONY back and they told me it was okay. The install basically copied one DLL, one SYS file and updated some entry in the registry. I have no idea why is corrupted.
    I tried to burn again anyway. Failed with the same
    problem.

SONY then interrogated me and asked what brands I am
    using for the media. I told them MAXELL, TDK, MEMOREX
    except SONY. Of course, you know what they'll say. Try SONY and that's what they did. I wasn't going to take that for an answer. I started to question them
    finally, they said, yeah... there's one more thing you need to check - DMA setting. The thing I mentioned in previous reply. I had to set "PIO" instead of "DMA if available" for transfer mode in device manager.

Tried to burn it and it worked. However I noticed it took me 68 minutes to burn 2Fast2Furious at 8x vs. 22 minutes with +r at 12x. So there's a performance decrease with this option. Yes, I know I am dealing with 8x vs 12x but shouldn't increase the time that much.

So what I've I gained? I learned how to fix this problem but I've switched back to "DMA if available". The reason I am going thru this excerise is because I have PANASONIC DMR-100H which does not support -R; it only supports +R and +/-RW and RAM. I didn't want to buy +R and -R. Looks like I have to.

Oh, one important note. So I am not sure what fixed it. ASPI or PIO setting? When I have time, I will find out by re-imaging my PC with a GHOST image I had
    previous created before I tampered my XP OS.

If you can tell me how to uninstall it, I will definitely try it. The links you guys posted to get ASPI, are these different versions? Why? Shouldn't there be only one?

Thanks for all your help!!!

Sydney, UCLA.

7. flip218

Everything in your last post, doesn't solve your original post ... or does it? Can you successfully burn to a -R?

According to videohelp.com your player is able to play -R media: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers...h&Search=Search&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25

Hmm ... should there be only one? Is that the same as saying, shouldn't there be only on type of O/S?

They do update aspi layers. The reason why Nero Info Tool says "ASPI Installation is corrupted" is because v4.71.2 only installs two of the dlls for XP. Mainly because in the instructions it says XP only needs the two.

The difference is with ForceASPI, it forces all dlls to be install no matter which O/S your running. The difference between Force v1.7 and Force v1.8 .... is v1.7 install dll 4.60, and v1.8 installs 4.71.2

To uninstall an aspi layer (if that is what you were referring to), you run killaspi. It removes any previously installed aspi layer.

8. ucla

ucla Member

Yes, I was able to burn with DVD-R if set to "PIO" for
    transfer mode. In my last reply, I said I had switched back to "DMA if available" because of performance trade-off.

I think I was confusing myself as I had been trying with various formats/media brand that I forgot what my PANASONIC DMR-E100H supports. Ok, let me set this straight.

SONY DRU-540A supports +/-R, +/-RW and others
    PANASONIC DMR-E100H supports -R, RAM and others

So the reason I wanted to make the SONY work with -R
    was I didn't want to buy +R and -R media instead I could just buy bundle of -R so they'll work for both.
    But because of the performance issue, I will buy +R
    for SONY (12x) and -R for PANASONIC (8x) for now.

I will try to to use the KillASPI in the next couple of days. In fact I may just re-image to have a clean start.

9. 7236

7236 Member

i am having the same problem with the tdk dvd-r's and it is driving me crazy. my burner is brand new and my bf was able to burn his dvd's before and now i cant.. i cant even change the speed setting to maximum or from DAO to TAO...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/ Good spot to download Force_ASPI 1.8.

http://aspi.radified.com/ A site that gives a good explanation of ASPI. Just in case you want to understand what it's about. You'll also learn sometthing about installation and the ForceASPI tools.

Occasionally you will have a drive or program that needs ASPI. Not often with XP. Nero incorporates its own ASPI files. I have a Samsung DVD ROM and a Memorex Dual Format Burner. The only ASPI on the computer is the Nero ASPI. That infotool in Nero checks system ASPI and Nero ASPI. On mine I get no system ASPI and a Green okay for the Nero. Most likely these problems aren't a result of ASPI. If it was ASPI, then there would be a problem with the drive interface not just the drive with selected media.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2004
  11. brobear

brobear Guest

ucla
    Burn or transcode and burn? I don't burn video at anything over 4X. Higher speeds increase the chances of write errors and the burn portion doesn't take that long. My burn times normally run about 15 minutes for a 4.7 disc at 4X. So, 22 minutes for a +R at 12X is a bit slow, I doubt you were burning at 12X and the 68 minutes for a -R disc to burn is ridiculously slow if that is only for the burn segment.

Programmable I/O (PIO) uses port I/O to transfer data to and from the drive. This method uses the processor continuously for the exchange.

Direct Memory Access uses the disk controller to move data directly to memory without tying up the processor. Now you know what DMA/PIO are.

Using the Nero InfoTool found in the Nero ToolKit, look under the configuration tab. The drives are listed by name and function. Also the DMA or PIO setting will be listed with the drive. All my HDs and disc drives are DMA on and NO problems with - or +R. While in the ToolKit, check out the CD-DVD Speed test. Normal read speeds for encrypted DVD ROM discs are not as fast as the drives are rated. For instance a test I ran showed 6.4X as the average read speed with 4-9X being the lo/hi speeds. The read took about 35 min. Put that together with a 15 min burn time and the total recording time would be about 50 min. Speeds also vary according to programs. Shrink with the quality settings on is notoriously slow (older versions are not quite as slow, but quality suffers).

ucla, there are 3 basic steps to making a backup DVD video. The steps are 1) decryt/deCSS (some say rip); 2) encode/transcode (prep for the target media); 3) record to media (burn). One could add edit, but that is a bit advanced and not exactly basic. I was a bit confused as your +R speed of 22 min is a bit slow for a burn and much too fast for a complete recording process for an encrypted movie disc. 68 min for a complete recording wouldn't be too bad with Shrink, but for a burn alone, it is very slow. If you have separate times for each step of the process, what are they? If not, what is the total recording time for the movie? Also, what are the CPU specs, how much RAM, how large is the HD and how much free space, also, is the (OS) operating system XP? Those are all factors in how fast your PC can operate.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2004