1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning copy protected dvds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bcakt6, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prk

prk Member

Scuba Pete: For recollection, I am the guy with the 18 month old son and trying to copy his R2 dvds to r1s so he can see them here.

I am wondering if the comments to Fawk and 54 were also directed my way. I have not been able to test with the instructions in those messages but I will if that is what will correct things.

2. Shaddy

Shaddy Member

Hi Pete. Thanks for your reply. I somehow got the impression that this was a site for DVD-X-Copy. My mistake. When I said, "this software", I was referring to DVD-X-Copy by 321 Studios.

Nero came with the DVD Writer, and allows for backups and that kind of lame stuff. The painful thing about Nero being packaged with the writer is that I had purchased Nero 6 about a year ago and have been constantly upgrading it since. I've used it for all of my MP3 and CD copy needs. When I followed the installation instructions, the packaged G-rated cartoon-looking Nero overwrote my proudly acquired Nero 6.

Anyway, this is about my DVD writer and DVD-X-Copy by 321 Studios. Once I use the writer to make a copy of a file on my hard disk or to back up or to do anything else that the packaged Nero says I can do, everything is ok, but when I follow the simple steps of DVD-X-Copy, that's when I get the error message at the end.

The movie I was trying to copy was, trust me, to my mind a LEGITIMATE backup of a DVD that I own which I want to preserve. The source DVD was store-bought and came with the shrink-wrap and other new-DVD features.

I had called Sony for trouble-shooting help, and was told the same thing you said . . . that the drive may not have been properly installed and that I should uninstall the installation software (i.e., Nero), remove it, use the IDE cable that came with the drive, make the drive master (so that my existing CD-RW drive is just taking up room), then reinstall the drive and installation software. I did that and also uninstalled/reinstalled DVD-X-Copy but the results were the same.

I went back into my computer and put everything the way it was before so that the DVD writer is slave to the CR-RW. Again, the drive works because the pre-packaged software, Nero, successfully writes to DVD media. My problem is with DVD-X-Copy. Windows (XP Pro)recognises the drive just fine in Device Manager, and finds the correct driver when I click on Update Driver.

So, I'm back to trying to back up my legitimately owned movies using DVD-X-Copy. Help.

3. xklante

xklante Guest

anyone, I need help.

I just starting having problems with my burner last night. I had my burner for a week now and has worked just fine until last night. I went to back a movie and it took 1 hr and 45 min to encode... I though it was because of the movie... then went I went to actually burn it with decrypter the buffer on the right hand side was jumping from 10% to 70% well I had 2 coasters. I went to check the Device Manager and the DMA is the to available then I notice that below it it reads "Current transfer mode" PIO ONLY... I know that this is the problem, but I have uninstall the device and restart the computer and doesn't change back... please help!!!!

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

xklante

Go to my computer, right click it and then choose properties, hardware, Device manager, and look in the list for IDE ATA/ATAPI. Look for secondary IDE channel, right click it and choose properties, at the top choose advanced settings. You'll see a pull down menu for Device 0 and device 1 (current transfer mode} select DMA if available, click OK and reboot.

5. xklante

xklante Guest

Sophocles,

Thank you for the help... I had already fixed it by the time you have replied. I did some research and this is what I ended up doing: I went Go to my computer, right click it and then choose properties, hardware, Device manager, and look in the list for IDE ATA/ATAPI. Look for secondary IDE channel, right click it and choose properties, at the top choose advanced settings. Then, I uninstalled both the primary and secondary rebooted and had XP found them and installed them again, rebooted again and BAM! It work... My only thing is, Why did it went back to POI only after a week or so of being use? Well anyhow is fix now and I know what needs to be done if this happens again.

Thanks,

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Shaddy,

It seems odd as DVD XCopy has it's own burner - Go figure ?

It seems as if your DVD XCopy hasn't found your drive. When it's installed it should look for your drive, I'm going to find Flip218 to look in and give you some help -

Cheers,

Pete

No need to be paranoid about your DVD discs. aD doesn't care if it's a rental, a friend's or one from the Net. Ask Flip218 to point you in the direction of the Forum rules, I'm not permitted too, only a Mod may do so.

Hi xklante,

When your PC encounters errors 6 times it resets your drive to PIO. If you have no errors, it will stay DMA :)

It's called sh# t happens - don't worry about it unless it continues to do it - then we';ll have to find out what's causing it -

Cheers,

Pete

7. Shaddy

Shaddy Member

Pete,

When I said that Nero successfully writes to my drive, I was just trying to compare the 2 pieces of software - Nero and DVD-X-Copy. The packaged software (Nero) copies non-copyrighted content properly, but DVD-X-Copy doesn't. I do use the burner that came with DVD-X-Copy but it does not work.

I don't think that DVD-X-Copy has a problem recognising my drive (I could be wrong), because it shows me the source and destination drives and their version numbers, etc., during the copy process.

It is at the end of this process that I receive the error message, "Drive operation was not successful. DVD recorder is not ready. Driver error code = 02020408h. Cannot get disc and track information from the recorder. DVD recorder is not ready. Driver error code = 02020407h. The disc is not successfully recorded."

The wording of the error message implies that you are right - that DVD-X-Copy is not recognising my drive - but how else could it know the specs of the ROM and of the writer and when media are inserted?

Thanks for your efforts so far.

8. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Hello :)

Kinda sorta ... Afterdawn has a seperate XCopy forum: http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com

One of your problems is your using a very new drive, and XCopy may not recognise the drive. What XCopy product and what version?

Your also using Nero ... did you happen to install Nero's InCD4?

9. Shaddy

Shaddy Member

DVD-X-Copy's version number is 1.5.2.

InCD Ver 4.2.4.4 came with the drive together with the other Nero software on the CD.

I didn't get a chance to go to dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com yet, but I will in a moment.

I've already downloaded DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink after reading what Pete advised another Newbie to do, but that didn't work (the relevant options in Shrink are grayed out).

10. flip218

Did you try running drive select? And have you tried installing a "working" aspi layer?
    http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/
    Download both Force 1.8 and ASPI Check

I know it comes with Nero, which is why I asked ... Did you install it? If so, you need to remove it.

Since I don't feel like guessing what you mean, can you be more specific?

11. Shaddy

Shaddy Member

I'm sorry for not being clearer. I will uninstall InCD and do the other things that you suggested.

By "the relevant options in Shrink are grayed out", I meant that I followed Pete's advice to another member and downloaded DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. The method did not work because at the stage where Pete said to click the Backup button, I couldn't because the button could not be clicked on. It was there, but gray in colour and unresponsive to mouse clicks.

12. flip218

That's a first ... did you open the disc or the files or image?

13. Shaddy

Shaddy Member

No, I didn't open the disc or look at the files because those weren't part of the instructions. I guess I should have?

14. flip218

I'm not sure which guide you were following, but Pete's guide are pretty good and cover all that :)

15. Shaddy

Shaddy Member

Pete's instructions read, "Because DVD Shrink is so easey we're going to let it do a complete backup. That means we're going to copy the entire DVD. Everything is already set so that all we have to do is click the "Backup" buton."

That's why I didn't know if there was another step e.g. that I should (or could) open the files on the DVD.

The instructions prior to that related to DVD Decrypter which I followed and which appeared to respond in the manner it should.

16. dfhjr

dfhjr Member

hello, umm... can somebody tell me how to use Dvd Shrink 3.2 with Sonic RecordNow DX.
    I just got the Dvd Shrink and i have no idea what to do can somebody please help.

17. flip218

Shaddy,

Can you post a link to where those instructions are?

18. Shaddy

Shaddy Member

19. flip218

lol ... your right Pete missed that one :)

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

shaddy, you've got to pick a source before shrink can back up anything, whether it be a disc or files you've ripped with another app. Here is a quickie guide I wrote for shrink 3.2, see if it helps:

1-open shrink

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and choose your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with nero.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge). I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps :>)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.