1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a DVD+RW drive burn dvd-r disks

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Xenokai, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Nor does it say anything about +R CDs. The burner only records + DVD media and - CD media. If it was me, I'd get one that burns everything. But then I told you in another thread that this PC may be a bargain, but not the best bang for the buck. You seem intent on buying it, so why all the questions. You can read the owners manual when you get it. Didn't you say something about having it in layaway?

3. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

there is no such thing as CD+R lol only dvd's have diffrent - and +

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Any burner will read +R or -R, but this looks like it will only WRITE to +Rs and +RWs. If you look at the details, it says it is a dual-layer burner too?

Drive Speeds: 8x DVD+R, 4x DVD+RW, 2.4x DVD+R DL, 12x DVD-ROM, 24x CDR, 10X CDRW, 40x CDROM

5. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

i dont understand the whole - or + stuff clearly i mean whats the diffrence shouldnt a dvd burner burn any blank dvd?

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Xenokai
    Have you never heard a sarcastic statement before. The whole +/-R DVD thing is about a group that didn't want to pay royalties to another, so they developed the +R DVD format which is different from the -R which was the original DVD format. Some DVD burners will handle both, others will either do + or -R, but not both. And they only burn what they have been programed for. Thats the story and I'm sticking to it, all DVD burners won't burn everything and the one you are getting only burns + in DVDs and the - in CDs (no +R CDs as you noted).

7. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

the pc im getting burns both meadia + and - i emailed hp.com and the wal mart site doesnt tell every singal thing about it and they said itl do both

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Why didn't you ask them in the first place? Maybe you got the right answer, maybe not. Seems PCs come with different options at different times. The 735 isn't even listed in HP's current sales inventory on the opening window at HP.com, replaced by the 750.

The only way to get an exact option list is to run the PC id number through support. You don't get that until you open the package. I don't really see the difference as long as it burns, unless you have some equipment that won't function with +R (and that is on the market as well, look to the new DVD Recorders).

Wal Mart is usually pretty good at listing what is in the box and Compaq did ship some PCs with burners that would only burn +R. You can let us know how it turns out when you bring the PC home. BTW, here is a good link for you since you don't want to trust our word. http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/...=PJ510AA#ABA&tab=detailed_specs#defaultAnchor
    That is a link to the only 730 I could find HP.com selling on the net. Download the complete specs in PDF, the option at the bottom of the page. You'll find the DVD burner they have listed only burns +R DVDs. Then the one you're getting burns everything... Report back on that one when you get it.

[bold]If it was me, I wouldn't buy very much -R DVD recordable media until I got that PC home and checked it out. Then again, I wouldn't buy that particular PC. I'm not putting it down, I just like more powerful and capable equipment.[/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2004
  9. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Nice support page. However it says nothing about the DVD burner you're getting in the PC you're buying. As I said, go light on the -R DVD purchase until after you have it. That nice chart the link leads to on burners and media only tells what different media is good for, not that all those media will work in the drive you're getting.

11. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

yeah ill have to see

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If you read the specs from the very first post it states the burner is 8X +R burner ONLY. It does not say anything aboput -R media. Most HP burners were +R only until they just came out with their 600 series burners which will burn both formats. They have only been out a few months.

Jerry

13. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

14. brobear

brobear Guest

A decent decision and a better one than you might expect. MCC and Ricoh manufacture the +R DVDs sold by sony, or have been until recently anyway. Things like that sometimes change quickly. Anyway, either way it goes, if you get one of those, you have one of the top discs on the market. MCC and Sony manufacture the -R for any that may be wondering.

Get a copy of DVDInfoPro and check one of the discs when you get the batch. It's a good idea to do that with every purchase. You can compare or find a manufacturer that works best for you that way. A single brand can have several manufacturers, so you can't really go by brand name in a lot of cases.

15. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

yeah i fig a cheap price for my first time burning dvd movies btw a frnd gave me a disk with a movie on it its a DVD+RW disk memorex can i copy over it and burn a movie to it i wanna use a rw disk to practice lol

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Just remember it's often easier to do a quick format before you try to use the previously recorded RW than while doing the current recording. I've had RWs not format well that way (during the recording process). BTW, if you still don't believe us about the -Rs and that PC, just borrow one from a friend to try. You can return it after the PC refuses to burn it. LOL

17. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

no itl burn both hp mailed me before didnt i tell you ? but yeah they told me that the site doesnt get into the - and + stuff and that all there burners they put in there pc from june 2004 and on burn to both they just call them DVD+RW drives i guess cause the -r and +r confuses people

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Then why don't they just call them DVD R/RW???

[​IMG]

19. brobear

brobear Guest

This is senseless. Xenokai, I regret I mentioned anything to try to help you. Obviously you know much more than the people who have been around computers for quite a while.

Not saying it was the case, but a lot of the phone assistance for computer sales is farmed out to 3rd world countries where people answer questions according to cue cards. Could the email assistance be much better? Nothing you've shown supports what you want. Oh yes, I almost forgot, you paid enough attention that you opted for the +R Sony media. At least it won't be an expensive lesson unless you rush out and buy a lot of -R media. What you're going to get will obviously be a surprise. Then again, what is Christmas for, if not surprises. Happy holidays and I hope you enjoy your new PC with the +RW burner.

Bbmayo asked a legitimate question,
    You've run up quite a post count disagreeing with us and this thread is going nowhere. I quit, and you can continue making ridiculous assertions as you will.

Some people would disagree about gravity, even after a rock fell on them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2004
  20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

This is getting absolutely ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.