1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RCE protected....end results is no audio

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by drmax, Dec 7, 2004.

1. drmax

drmax Member

Here is a c/p that I'm keeping in case I need to use it in another forum. I searched for RCE Protection and didn't find anything. Keep in mind, my store bought movies burn just fine. Here goes...
    This may get lenghty, but wish to leave detail. I'm new with burning but the 3 movies I got from BB (in the states) did not record volume. My sis lives in region 2. She want Leon the professional, an affair to remember and sling blade. I popped in the movies, using shrink 2.3 and it did it's thorough scan. I then hit backup (this happened with all 3 movies) and I got a box I never seen before. It said something like "this movie is RCE protected". there are 2 boxes that can be ck'd. the 1st one says, select this box if you are gonig to play this in a certain region dvd player. The other box says click here if you don't want to modify the RCE. (this selection is different than the area that states dvd region. so I selected the 1st box and then clicked region 2. now the next area is the region code area and I left alone...hence region code free. OK, it backed up and burned. Now I put this aside and made me the same DVD's, only I selected the region code 1 for the states in the 1st area and in the second area, left the box region code free. When this backed up, I thought I'd try it out. Well, the video is great, but there is no audio. So, both an affair to remember & sling blade came out this way.
    I have every reason to believe that the movies I made for my sis are the same way, but I can not view them for the region code deal.
    So what do I need to do. Are all rental movies like this? My other store bought disney movies do not come up with this "RCE PROTECTION" box.
    I guess I didn't make the correct selection.
    Thx for any help.

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

3. drmax

drmax Member

sorry...3.2 is what I have. i found out, i think, what is going on. my player i was ck'ing my dvd's in, is a cyberhome. cheap or not, it plays all movies. what i did, what when i was finished buring the region 2 dvd, i tried it in the cyberhome to see what the message said. then when i tried my other region 1 burned dvd's, no audio. strange thing is, i then took those region 1's and put them in a more expensive toshiba, and they had audio. ok. then i tried them all again in the $37 cyberhome and they played audio just fine. i read on the net somewhere about rce protection, and if you try a different region, say 2, in a region 1 only player, it messes with the memory of unit. and then something about having to place a region 1 dvd back in the player to straighten in out.
    this would explain what happened, if indeed this is what happened. hey, troubleshooting is great!

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Bad news.... I didn't get to really help you.
    Good news.....You got it to work on your own.
    Congratulations.

5. drmax

drmax Member

you may still help. could you direct on some reading material, as far as removing this RCE protection, altogether? Is there something called decypher that will rid of it? thx and i will keep reading.

6. zippyd

zippyd Active member

7. drmax

drmax Member

Update...one of the movies I made did not play in the region 2 dvd player. the others were reported a playing fine. I was told the message said something about wrong region. So, not sure what happened their. I also made the same movie, which is Sling Blade. I may take my movie and try to make it a region free.
    Strange.